PS4 Media Player Launches

Hocking88

I don't know if anyone can help me. I have been wanting to be able to plug a HDD into my ps4 to watch films for ages and am so pleased it seems to be possible now. However I plug it in and it picks it up but says it has no playable content. I know there are films on there as I have transferred them onto another usb. It also happens on my smart TV so I think there is an issue with the HDD. I use it on a Mac, I don't know if I need to reformat it or anything?

Wingsurfer

I don't know if anyone can help me. I have been wanting to be able to plug a HDD into my ps4 to watch films for ages and am so pleased it seems to be possible now. However I plug it in and it picks it up but says it has no playable content. I know there are films on there as I have transferred them onto another usb. It also happens on my smart TV so I think there is an issue with the HDD. I use it on a Mac, I don't know if I need to reformat it or anything?

Doubt there's anything wrong with your hdd mate. I have exactly the same issue with my lg TV. It's likely to be due to the format of whatever you're trying to play. Convert the files to a format the ps4 recognises or put them into a PC with plex server installed & stream from that.

Hocking88

Ok so I have plugged an old HDD in and it works, so I imagine I need to format the drive, does anyone know how to do this? I could use my old one but its so bulky and needs a power source.

There must be a way.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Ok so I have plugged an old HDD in and it works, so I imagine I need to format the drive, does anyone know how to do this? I could use my old one but its so bulky and needs a power source.

There must be a way.
just been trying this out , and it's the same as the ps3 ,
the ps4 will only read a hard that is formatted to fat32, and with video file that are smaller than 4gb
so anything larger it will not read it .

Wingsurfer

Ok so does anyone know how i format the HDD to FAT32 on a MacBook?
If the issue was the format of your hdd the ps4 would not pick it up. From what you've said, the drive is detected by ps4, ps4 can see all files on it but cannot play them - this proves that the problem is with the files you are trying to play rather than the drive. See my previous post for options.

Jean Valjean

Make sure you also create a folder called videos.
One file I've got working which is an MP4 and a MKV which plays but Audio is not supported (even though its AC3)

black1510

Not bad, I was quite excited at first then reality kicked in.

No DTS in MKV container support (yeah SONY that will stop people pirating movies...sheesh)

No LPCM in .m2ts container support (24bit LPCM tested unsure on 16bit as I have no 16bit .m2ts files to test, the video would not play at all so unsure if audio unsupported or if untouched, high bitrate .m2ts files just won't play. 1.2 GB untouched music video with 24bit audio tested)

No LPCM in MKV container support (not seen often but I have plenty of these)
No DTS-HD/TrueHD support
No NTFS support (because most people still use FAT in 2015 don't they...oh wait)
No FLAC/.WAV/ALAC support
No AAC 5.1 support in MKV container

Those 7 things right there stop me from playing 95%+ of my 15TB video/audio collection.

Ideal for the casual media player users but just way too limited just like the XBOX one media player and basically a rehash of the PS3 media player with pretend mkv support added.

My 5 year old WDTV live is still my go to player which I find funny.

Is the 4GB limit still in place due to FAT32? Yes. Who wants to watch movies that are less than 4GB? I have MKV files that are 35GB+ with DTS-HD which my 5 year old WDTV plays with ease (albeit DTS core).

Basically only 5% of my 1000's of MKV files are playable and those are the ones with AC3 audio. The rest are FLAC, LPCM, (mostly) DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD. I can't even remember the last time I saw or even wanted an MKV file with mp3 or AAC audio.

I am unsure how it plays high bitrate HD content as I can't be bothered to remux any files to test. Not that it matters for anything other than music videos or TV shows as the 4GB limit is probably still in place.

Shame.

At least my PS4 has background music...something my XBOX One is still lacking, it would be nice if it was lossless though.

Last edited:

Det

Distinguished Member
Not bad, I was quite excited at first then reality kicked in.

No DTS in MKV container support (yeah SONY that will stop people pirating movies...sheesh)

No LPCM in .m2ts container support (24bit LPCM tested unsure on 16bit as I have no 16bit .m2ts files to test, the video would not play at all so unsure if audio unsupported or if untouched, high bitrate .m2ts files just won't play. 1.2 GB untouched music video with 24bit audio tested)

No LPCM in MKV container support (not seen often but I have plenty of these)
No DTS-HD/TrueHD support
No NTFS support (because most people still use FAT in 2015 don't they...oh wait)
No FLAC/.WAV/ALAC support
No AAC 5.1 support in MKV container

Those 7 things right there stop me from playing 95%+ of my 15TB video/audio collection.

Ideal for the casual media player users but just way too limited just like the XBOX one media player and basically a rehash of the PS3 media player with pretend mkv support added.

My 5 year old WDTV live is still my go to player which I find funny.

Is the 4GB limit still in place due to FAT32? Yes. Who wants to watch movies that are less than 4GB? I have MKV files that are 35GB+ with DTS-HD which my 5 year old WDTV plays with ease (albeit DTS core).

Basically only 5% of my 1000's of MKV files are playable and those are the ones with AC3 audio. The rest are FLAC, LPCM, (mostly) DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD. I can't even remember the last time I saw or even wanted an MKV file with mp3 or AAC audio.

I am unsure how it plays high bitrate HD content as I can't be bothered to remux any files to test. Not that it matters for anything other than music videos or TV shows as the 4GB limit is probably still in place.

Shame.

At least my PS4 has background music...something my XBOX One is still lacking, it would be nice if it was lossless though.
I didn't understand half of what you just said. How do you get 35gb DTS capable video files on your hard drive? Where do you buy them from?

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I didn't understand half of what you just said. How do you get 35gb DTS capable video files on your hard drive? Where do you buy them from?
I'd imagine they're back up of his blu rays. One for one rips. Got quote a few myself.

black1510

Rip my own or friends BD disc to HDD...remux to MKV...copy to HDD. I use MKV as it is better supported than ISO in my WDTV and I don't need extras or menu. Main movie untouched with HD audio intact.

My post is not that hard to understand (for the people that understand it that is).

Det

Distinguished Member
What program do you use to rip them? I have quite a few blu rays I wouldn't mind ripping to the hard drive for streaming. Can you rip 3D blu ray too?

black1510

I have not tried 3D (don't own 3D TV) but I am sure they can be done. I use anyDVD HD, MakeMKV & MKV Merge GUI for Blu-Ray related stuff.

tim68

I use a program called MakeMKV for ripping main movie with HD audio from my Bluray's, program is in Beta at the moment so free to use. I'm sure a lot of forum members use it

black1510

Low bitrate MKV/MP4 with very limited audio support is all the PS4 (and XBOX One) media player is good for which would be great if it was 2007.

It will suit casual users and people that already have a collection of space saving/PS3 ready low bitrate encodes but for the serious digital content user it is basically useless....which is obviousy what SONY (and Microsoft) want.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
i use makemvk, then i convert them to mp4 using dvdfab < to work with the ps3 )
i used to make them about 5/6gb , but their poor quality while playing them on my PJ ( ok for just my TV)
so now there all about 10gb still using dvdfab and looks tones better on the PJ

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Grand :) This works just perfectly in conjunction with a 2tb HDD attached to my Asus DSL-55

PC1975

Distinguished Member
I tried watching a couple of films from a memory stick and it was immediately apparent that motion wasn't right on them. it seems to have a slight stutter that's uncomfortable to watch.

I put the stick back in my TV and it was fine. Anyone else noticed this and is there an explanation?

stationairy

probably a silly question but i have my Imac upstairs with all my movies on is there anyway ps4 can play the videos i have ripped and stored in itunes, exactly same way as say it would on apply TV art work and all ?

Wingsurfer

probably a silly question but i have my Imac upstairs with all my movies on is there anyway ps4 can play the videos i have ripped and stored in itunes, exactly same way as say it would on apply TV art work and all ?

Try installing plex media server on your iMac - that streams with meta data, images etc. I don't know if this is picked up by the ps app or not though

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Can't get my PS4 to see my Qnap server at all. To be honest I have mac mini's attached to the main TV's in the house with popcorn boxes for the kids rooms. But it would be nice to have the PS4 see the files etc.

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Installed this earlier but I'm going to uninstall again. No NTFS support is useless in this day and age. Thankfully my TVs play prey much everything that's thrown at them, AI it's not much of an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification