PS4 Media Player Launches

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Sony has today launched a Media player for PS4 taken from Playstation Eu blog.

A Media Player icon will appear in the PS4 content area, simply select the icon and you will be taken to the PS Store where you can begin the download.

The Media Player works with both your home server and when plugging a USB stick with media into one of the available ports on the PS4. Your home server will appear as a media option in the player automatically and finding your media is simple and quick. You may also simply enjoy music as background music on your PS4!

Of course, we know what you really want to see: look below to see supported video and audio file formats and codec details.

File formats and codecs
Video

• MKV
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • AVI
    • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MP4
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MPEG-2 TS
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    • Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
Photo

• JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG
Music

• MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

zt1903

Distinguished Member
The PlayStation 4 is finally a proper home media center

A new software update that enables the PlayStation 4 to play video files, digital music, and photos locally off of a USB flash drive/hard drive or be streamed over Wi-Fi (DLNA) started rolling out on Monday through the PlayStation Store.

The omission of a media player on the PS4 has baffled owners since the console launched in 2013, especially since the PlayStation 3 has the ability to do so.

The PS4's media player supports movies encoded in MKV, AVI, MP4 and MPEG2-TS. Supported photo files are: JPEG, BMP and PNG. Supported music files include MP3 and AAC.

With local media playback, the PS4 is finally starting to become the home media center that it should have been on day one. Better late than never, I suppose.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
As I'm at work, I thought I would look for it in the PS Store on my phone, so that I could add it to my library ready for later, but I couldn't find it.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Yea the icon will appear on your menu automatically I think then you can click to download.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
doesn't work , well for me at least it doesn't all of the vidz i have tried so far are stuttering every 2 mins .

Stinja

Distinguished Member
... enables the PlayStation 4 to play video files, digital music, and photos ... or be streamed over Wi-Fi (DLNA) ...
Does it work over wired ethernet?

So i don't have a "home server" per se, but anyone know if can i use the Apple Time Capsule to stream stuff over? e.g.:

kayzee

This is good although I think my new smart TV does the same (haven't tried it yet)

What would be good is if it played files from PlayTV. My mum has this and often wants to give me recorded programmes, but they're done in some weird old format.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Works well with Plex for me but I can't find my audio podcasts Video Podcasts are showing up in Videos but the audio podcasts don't show up in Music (or Photos or Videos).

ruffage

Distinguished Member
First impressions - rubbish. Seems you still need a DLNA server running, so I connected in via my Logitech Media server the Squeezebox uses. Browsed to a random film "Elf" and was greeted with "Audio format not supported". Think I'll stick with Kodi in the AFTV.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
Plex is free on Android isn't it so I assume you can use it via a smartphone?

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Not with the new Media Player as it see's the server and plays from that.
Ah. So you're just missing out on the artwork and that you would get from the app.

Wish you could get Kodi on the machines. Prefer that to plex tbh.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Ah. So you're just missing out on the artwork and that you would get from the app.

Wish you could get Kodi on the machines. Prefer that to plex tbh.

You can set Kodi to act like a server also but just for streaming video's I think and not the add on's

I have a Amazon Fire TV with Kodi on. Works great and the Xbox and PS4 pick that and Plex up now.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series