PS4 Image Sharing Comparison

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by Jimster71, Feb 1, 2014.

?
  1. Twitter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Facebook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. PSN Message

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  4. They All Look The Same To Me

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,947
    Hi,

Until we are able to copy saved screenshots to a USB stick, we are restricted to sharing the images if we want to get them off the PS4. I wanted to do a test of how much these screenshots are compressed when using the different PS4 sharing methods.

I did a couple of screenshots from Tomb Raider, shared them and then saved back the images in the following ways:
    • The image was shared to Twitter and was viewed from the twitter feed in its own tab. The url was changed to display the original sized image. This was then downloaded from the browser.
    • The image was shared to Facebook and viewed in my timeline at full screen, then in its own tab where the full sized image could be saved from the browser.
    • The image was sent to another user as a PSN message from the PS4 dashboard. I then logged into the PSN app on my phone, viewed my sent message and saved the image to my phone. It was then uploaded to Dropbox (Thanks to Gizmo 76 for this technique).
    I noticed that the facebook and twitter images were both compressed to a similar filesize. The image sent via PSN message was a much larger filesize - showing that this method gives you a much less compressed image.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, so I've put all the images into a shared dropbox folder so you can view them for yourself and decide what differences (if any) each sharing method makes to the image. Viewing the images at the default 1080p resolution is best.

Dropbox - PS4 Picture Test

I can add some other images from different games, if required, to show more variety in images.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    They all looked the same to me... on my 5" phone screen lol.

Thanks for doing the work on this.

3. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,183
    Nice one. Will have a gander when I'm at the pc.

4. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,183
    I've gone with PSN Message. Now saying that, there is hardly any difference between that and Twitter for me, facebooks is a much darker image an you lose some of the details because of that.

Really wasnt much in it between Twitter and Message. Choose Message as you can do that without having to create a Twitter account. So if i did have a twitter account i'd have no qualms about using that for easy of getting the screenshot.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    They all change ever so slightly but god knows which one looks the best as they all look equally good to my eyes. Can't say that it makes a difference which way you choose to be honest.

6. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,947
    Just had a look at them on my calibrated PC display and the differences are fairly subtle. Both the Facebook and Twitter image compression appears to add a slight magenta colour shift. At larger image sizes you can also notice compression artifacts for those images too, especially on edges of objects.

The PSN message version is definitely the cleanest image and should be chosen if you wanted the best image quality or intended to do any image processing on them. For most general use, the other two are fine, with the Twitter image having a slight edge over the facebook one.

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Yeh I've found the same. More artifacts especially noticeable on edges, and the colour shift when sharing socially.

PS4 applies it's own compression as well which is annoying. Dark, smokey scenes etc... Can look a mess!

I actually find the screengrabs can lack a touch of contrast straight out of the PS4, but now we're getting into personal preferences lol

Also I like the fact I can collect together and share as a group of shots when using the 'messaging' method :D

8. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,947
    How do you share multiple images in a message? Thought you could only select he one?

The images will be compressed just by being jpegs. A raw 1080p image would be around 3MB.

Do you do any post processing on the images you post to flickr or are they straight out of the box?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  9. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,947
    If you tend to take screenshots more than video there is an option to change to way that the share button works via the option button on the sharing menu screen.

The default sharing is for one press to open the sharing screen, saving a video plus screenshot and a long press does just a screenshot. There is an alternative setting that switches this, so a single press saves a screenshot without going to the menu and long press opens the sharing menu.

10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I might on occasion tweak the contrast and brightness a touch if I feel they're flat, but nothing major.

Yeh hopefully in future they'll give us more options in relation of the quality of our shots. I'll happily take the size hit for a straight out the box capture.

In terms of sharing I just meant like on a forum or even Facebook. Rather than just the odd one, I'll make a post with a few grouped together.