PS4 Extra Cooling Solution

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by Dr Force, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    Hi Guys

Thought i might share this with you.

My cabinet is wife friendly and so need to minimise clutter in the lounge. The PS4 is situated in the cabinet in quite a tight space and i noticed that it gives off quite a lot of heat!

I purchased two silent running fans, wired to a usb and plugged in to the extension behind the TV which i simply switch on when i have a gaming session.the fans are situated behind and to the side of the console and they run totally silent blowing the warm air out of the space.

image.jpg

80mm fans

image.jpg

You cant see or hear them but it really makes a big difference to controlling excess heat.

image.jpg

2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    Is it not overkill? The PS4 cooling should be more than adequate. And those fans could potentially be blowing that warm air back into your PS4's rear exhaust ports. This could actually make the PS4 fan work harder as it's facing resistance from the air being blown back in against it.

From what I can see, your ideal solution would be to just cut a square out of the back of the cabinet instead of having just the small cable entry hole.

3. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    Fans are set back and to the side so its never blowing direct in to the ports. I dont want to carve a large hole in the back of the cabinet so just needed something to help shift the air out. I can feel all that warm air being moved much better than before, the PS4 fan is not any louder.

4. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    You don't think the PS4 itself is upto the job of cooling itself?. I didn't know it had any overheating issues?.

5. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    No not said that at all, its an assumption you have made!

The cabinet space is small with very little air flow from the rear to the front. I would say there is surely an increased risk of reducing the life of a system ( that after 1 year runs out of warranty) by shifting hot air away from the PS4 that ( in my cabinet) is getting way too hot.

Im sharing an easy solution for those punters who have tight spaces to contend with.

6. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Thanks for the pro tip. If I had an enclosed cabinet I think I'd look for alternative methods to cool the unit.

7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    I guess it's what you feel comfortable with.

My own feeling is that as long as the PS4 has some space around it and isn't placed inside a sealed box, then it'll look after itself in the cooling department.

However, if placing some fans behind it reassures you then why not?

I'm thinking of putting mine in the fridge and getting very long cables to run to my amp and TV in the lounge.

8. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    I put question marks there for a reason you know, so I could ask if you felt the ps4's cooling was inadequate, that's not what an assumption is. I was asking if you had heard of any issues that prompted you to take some extra precautions.

Your PS4 isn't even in a tight space, there's plenty of room around it, the ps4 is designed to be used in just such spaces.

Not something I could be bothered to do, especially if I have to remember to turn in on and off ha, but would be worth considering if ps4 does turn out to have any inherent long term heat issues.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    ahhhhh vertigo!
    Are you Australian? ;)

Nice idea. Mine seems fine, although a workmate has had two PS4's overheat (apparently), but thats probably more faults than placement-cooling.

10. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,890
    Would it not be better turning the fans round, that will allow them to pull the air out, drawing in cooler air from the front of your cabinet!

11. dutch1585

dutch1585

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Dont have your fans blowing in at the back end of the PS4, that will cause big problems down the line, you are changing the whole flow of air around the system. Sony spend millions researching and developing this, I would trust them to get it right for the vast majority.

12. George Greece

George Greece
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pluged in my usb cooler for my laptop to my ps4..big difference. ..and I turned it backwords to blow the warm air outside ..is there a problem for plugging in tje usb cooler to my ps4 usb?

13. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    I cringe every time I see a PS4 demo pod with the console inside a sealed perspex case with no ventilation that I can see in the perspex. Mine is hot and loud enough with space around it. :eek:

14. PlaybookHero

PlaybookHero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    If you want to make your fans work much better, make sure you have the fans sucking and blowing out the back, but also block off all the space around them. Something like a piece of cardboard that fills the gap at the back with cutouts for the fans themselves. That way they will be much more efficient at drawing the hot air out the back.