PS4 Discussion - Master Race Style

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by TheNameIsJambo, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Well,

Since some of you won't want to muck in with the filthy peasants in the PS4 thread, I've thrown one up here. Remember lads, we can't flame it, because it's just like a supercharged PC. The peasants will soon become members of the Master Race! :rolleyes:

What's been covered so far:

• The PS4 has an awesome x86 CPU.
    • The PS4 is 'like a supercharged PC' :clap:
    • The PS4 has a GPU that is 'supercharged'.
    • It will be toting 8GB of DDR5 - Pooled for sys and video. [Finally, light at the end of the tunnel!]
    • It will use the Gaikai service to view friends sessions, and even jump in to help; if you own the game [remote desktop style?]
    • The PS4 will use Gaikai to allow you to play demos.
    • The PS4 has Facebook functionality built in - So you can see their updates/status every 16 seconds!
    • The blokes who are talking are speaking in riddles, and being very vague and aren't giving any specifics away.
    • You can use the PS4 like the WiiU and play PS4 games on the overpriced PS Vita.
    • The first game they've shown looks like a platformer, and it has an unusually forgettable name - And it uses the full graphical power of the PS4.
    • The PS4 has 'deep' connectivity - But there aren't girls included.
    • A man named 'Marc', who is an architect, wears terrible shirts; which resemble table cloths.
    • Guerilla games have done a tech-demo, but since the stream is at 480P, it's hard to tell if it will get any better.
    • The PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 titles.
    • There's going to be at least one driving game on the PS4 - And it will be packed with challenges.
    • The new Killzone got no applause.
    • The PS4 comes with a 90 year old version of G-Man.
    • PS4 developers will no longer need to worry about any technical limitations, ever again!
    • Some lad from Squenix thinks it's necessary to show us an old (pre-rendered) video of their new Agni's Philosophy (FF look-a-like) title.
    • Watch Dogs is coming to the PS4 - Because the PS3 is too ****!
    • The PS4 is getting Bungie titles :confused:

Overall, it looks like they're heavily relying on the cloud to play games - Which confirmed my suspicions.

Although, if the PS4 is simply a supercharged PC, I may aswell throw my rig in the bin.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I'm selling my rig so I can get SLI/Crossfire PS4's. I don't know what that means or how I'll do it, but I'm doing it.

3. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    It will be CrossFire mate, it's all AMD in that box!

Go for it though, you can get triple screen gaming if you buy three and grow 2 extra pairs of hands!

4. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Tbf Killzone from what I could see looks a decent upgrade, not better than what we have now here but still looked decent.

5. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,182
    snobs only in here mate

6. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    They said they want to make it easier for devs. That means 4 year old graphics cards at the start.

I just wanna see a picture, cause it could be a good media/internet/BR thingy, like the ps3.

7. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I think they wanted to make it easier on the devs by using x86, cause they learned their lesson from the PS3 - The CELL was a bad idea.. :D

8. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    How does it mean 4 year old graphics card from the start?

It means using proven tech and not that cell crap.

9. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    What graphics card are they specifically using anyway? Or did they not say?

10. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    I wasn't developed yesterday, was it? ;)

11. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    No but then neither are any of the GPU's we use.

12. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Lads calm down, it's a supercharged graphics card. Branding and codenames are irrelevant when it looks like this!
    [​IMG]

Yes, it's the first image of the PS4!

13. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Not said all they have said is 6GB DDR5 memory.

I don't expect them to reveal all hardware they never do.

14. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Integrated CPU & GPU so that 8GB of DDR5 is combined vram and system memory.

Controller does look pretty nice though, nice upgrade from the PS3 controller.

How long until the console diehards spout "OMG PS4 has more vram than a Titan!!" :rotfl:

15. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I'm intrigued to know what exactly the GPU can do as it's claimed the next gen consoles will be 4K ready, but I suppose that's what the excessive amount of VRAM is for.

16. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I can't remember if I said earlier, in the Titan thread, about them going for an AMD APU...

I really hope there's a discrete option in there, or else our dreams of 'next gen' have been obliterated! lol

EDIT:
    @FQM.
    They are going to use an upscaling chip mate. Sadly.

17. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    It won't be 4k for gaming, maybe for bluray playback. Dream on for games.

Also, the 8GB isn't just vram, it's combined system ram and vram.

18. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    No surprise there then, they did the same thing the the ps3 & 360 with 1080p.

19. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I wouldn't be surprised if they ran games at 720P, 30-60FPS with FXAA and upscale them to 1080P. They'd save a lot of HW grunt there. Hell, even going to 1680x1050 will save a lot of grunt.

On hardware that is high-end for 2007-2008, they can achieve decent levels of fidelity using a 720P resolution.

It's just a shame that they're aiming for cheap hardware to keep costs down - and relying on a cloud gaming service.

EDIT:
    It appears as if the PS4 has caught up to near-Crysis levels of HD goodness.

20. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    It looks ok so far but wont have me running to the shops for one.

Games are nothing special but Killzone has probably been the best so far.

Again it's an upgrade but it's far from a huge leap by the looks of things, then again the presentation has been crap so that hasn't helped them.

21. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Nicked from r/games...

Code:
    All times in UTC+0! Subtract 8 for PST, 7 for mountain, 6 for central, and 5 for eastern.
    11:00PM - /r/all is coming, brace yourselves! Also that stream thing is starting!
    11:01PM - PS Vita XL+ announced.
    11:08PM - PLAYSTATION VITA'S POTENTIAL IS BEING UNLEASHED... later.
    11:09PM - PLAYSTATION 4 ANNOUNCED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    11:16PM - x86 CPU, enhanced PC GPU confirmed, 8GB OF UNIFIED RAM
    11:17PM - DualShock 4 confirmed, has a light strip, share button, new sticks, triggers.
    11:19PM - GDDR5 for system memory, hardware accelerated physics
    11:22PM - Knack game announced.
    11:25PM - Dedicated video recording hardware, seamless recording possible.
    11:25PM - New system UI, screenshot 
    11:33PM - Dedicated gaming social network announced from the Gaikai dude. Includes live video broadcasting from console. Spectating, comments/trash talks from friends in an in game overlay, guides. ALLOWS FRIENDS TO PLAY YOUR GAME FOR YOU IF YOU GET STUCK
    11:36PM - Remote play with PS Vita announced. Can seamlessly switch from playing on a console to playing on a Vita.
    11:38PM - PS4 acts as a local server for streaming video games with low latency.
    11:40PM - PlayStation Cloud Service = every PlayStation game on every platform via streaming tech.
    11:41PM - "It just works!"
    11:48PM - KILLZONE game announced.
    11:56PM - DRIVECLUB announced. Team based racing.
    00:07AM - Infamous sequel, Second Son, announced. Super hero game.
    00:07-00:28AM - Got a bit distracted, The Witness from Johnathan Blow is coming to PS4, along with a PS Move game where you create things.
    00:28AM - CAPCOM announces Panta Rhei engine for next generation consoles, announces "deep down" (working title) game using it.
    00:36AM - Square Enix shows Final Fantasy Agni's Philosophy trailer
    Code:
    [10:59pm] The music just started!
    [11:00pm] On the dot! Event begins!
    [11:01pm] Promotional Video for PlayStation as console in general
    [11:05pm] Living room no longer the center of PlayStation experience
    [11:06pm] Talk about Vita expansion into living room. Oh God.
    [11:07pm] PlayStation content to smartphones and tablets.
    [11:07pm] High Tech not the only way to expand experience, demands for new platform.
    [11:08pm] New platform will reach all current PlayStation devices
    [11:09pm] Most powerful platform ever, social, integrated, connect even on the go
    [11:09pm] PS4 officially announced
    [11:10pm] Over the next couple of HOURS they're going to show off the PS4!
    [11:10pm] Lead System Architect of PS4 Mark Cerny on stage, Crash Bandicoot music plays
    [11:11pm] PS4 development at least 5 years old
    [11:12pm] Pictures of DVD/ Blu Ray drives up, PlayStations used to be single purpose but times change. World is connected. Praises PS3 holding up with that. PS4 goals: Make sure nothing is between platform and joy of playing. System architecture fluidly connects player to everything Playstation has to offer. Higher integration of developer wishes. Give them tools to innovate.
    [11:15pm] Devs input was vital to develop PS4's specs
    [11:16pm] "Super Charged PC" CPU: x86; 8GB RAM!!
    [11:17pm] Live demos up. Oh ****! New controller. Dual Shock 4! leaked images were real (damn that looks sleek). Touchpad input, SHARE button, Lightbar to identify players, designed in tandem with a stereo camera to track 3D position of controller.
    [11:18pm] Unreal Engine 4 live real-time demo
    [11:18pm] CPU almost 2 Teraflops, System memory GDDR5
    [11:19pm] Highly enhanced PC GPU, modified, practical for general purpose. Demoes 1 million object rendering
    [11:20pm] First PS4 game shown: KNACK --> showcases insane amount of real-time objects on screen
    [11:22pm] 5 Principles: Simplicity and Functionality, Immediate Responsiveness, GAMES are preserved in RAM if you put the PS4 in "sleep mode", secondary chip that manages uploads/ downloads
    [11:24pm] Downloading games can be played while they're being downloaded.
    [11:25pm] Always on video compression/ decompression to increase social experience. Shows redesign of interface. Share Button ---> Choose upload segment ---> Upload while continuing to play
    [11:25pm] Miiverse attack with real-time game watching of your friends and friend network. Real names from Facebook etc. Very integrated, full names only visible from PS4. Conversations via Smartphones/ Tablets
    [11:27pm] Personalization. System should get to know you.... system learns likes and dislikes, pushes preloaded content in your face. Want to predict which games you will load. Automatically empties your wallet now.
    [11:30pm] Cofounder "Dave Perry" of Gaikai comes on stage.
    [11;31pm] Dave starts with nostalgic entry. PS4 integrated with Gaikai!! (surprise COUGH)
    [11:31pm] Gaikai fastest gaming network in the world. For every PS4 game in the Store. Press X button to hop in! A lot more availability (100%?) -> Trying like demos? Facebook partnership announced.
    [11:33pm] Combining PS4, PSN and Social Platforms will create a social gaming network only focused on gaming.
    [11:34pm] Share button used for connecting with your friends while playing. sharing gameplay, trash talking etc. Miiverse attack.
    [11:34pm] Developer - Editors connection to change "status"?
    [11:35pm] Partnership with U-Stream!!!
    [11:35pm] PS3 will integrated as well.
    [11:36pm] AAAaand remote play is part of the system. New reason to sell buy a PS Vita
    [11:37pm] Sound is gone from UStream...already back but I might have missed something. Still PSN blabla with the usual stuff like Netflix. More specifics announced later in the year.
    [11:38pm] UStream sound gone again.... fml sorry guys. Lag and no sound for other people as well.
    [11:40pm] People sobbing about how amazing the PS4 development process was/is.
    [11:41pm] Elegant design emphasized. Sony going back to their innovative roots again?
    [11:42pm] PS4 aware of player and surrounding to bring you personalized ads, keep the player interested.
    [11:43pm] Sony wants to kill the waiting time monster.
    [11:44pm] PlayStation will be wherever you are and whenever you want. Sharing is across the globe rather than across the couch. Share button: Record gameplay, screenshots, share epic moments. Make it EASY to share.
    [11:45pm] PlayStation is about innovation. Immersive, magical, simple, connected.
    [11:45pm] Michael Denny, Worldwide Studios, on stage. Lots of happy game devs out there he says.
    [11:46pm] PS4 brings new synergy of development, network of players and experiences
    [11:47pm] Guerilla Games dude on stage. Killzone: Shadowfall.......
    [11:48pm] Just **** my pants, brb guys. Gorgeous is an understatement.
    [11:49pm] Drones flying around everywhere.... lots of entities on screen...huge amount of human NPCs
    [11:51pm] Killzone shows off nice particle effects and animations are smooth
    [11:52pm] Intense firefight shown...there's so much going on on screen...dat assassination + knife throw...
    [11:54pm] People on UStream complaining about CoDzone
    [11:55pm] Amazing flying scene. Scripted stuff. drones everywhere...
    [11:56pm] Interface of Sharing shown.... dude shares something.
    [11:56pm] Evolutions Studios on stage. DriveClub. Team based racing. Drive the best cars in the world but TOGETHER. They've waited for the tech to be available for like 9 years.
    [11:57pm] Next generations means high tech but more importantly a new way of approaching permanently connected social life. Car companies love the advertising opportunities.
    [11:59pm] Create challenges, share them around the globe and see how it unfolds in the world.
    [00:00am] Cars recreated with insanely obsessive details, borderline insane, microscopic models, all individual threads in carbon and stuff... holy bow.
    [00:01am] Experience of entering cars. Car people like me are having multiple orgasms right now.
    [00:03am] Some SuckerPunch dude suddenly on stage after massive UStream lag. inFamous: Second Son.
    [00:04am] Talks about issues of modern technologies. Privacy. Control of your own life.
    [00:06am] Not sure if prerendered CGI stuff. That's just my awe.
    [00:07am] What does best mean? ioneer new ways. Embrace unexpected.
    [00:08am] Offering self-publishing on PSN. Welcomes creator of Braid on stage. New game. Jonathan Blow.
    [00:09am] Game called The Witness, developed 3 years, puzzles, situations from confusing to sudden clearance. Sudden Clarity Clarence Sim? Open World. 3 or 4 different destinations within 20secs of walking, interesting stuff everywhere. Sounds stuffed with content.
    [00:11am] No fillers, no unneeded content. Essence of ideas important in puzzles. 25 hours of unique puzzle gameplay. PS4 EXCLUSIVE. Game happens in your mind. Trailer comes on.
    [00:12am] Looks like that quest in oblivion where you are sucked into a painting mixed with TF2 cartoon style.
    [00:14am] Now I know why the first 2 sentences that Blow said on stage sounded like he smoked before. Looks cool!
    [00:14am] People urged to checkout previously shared Killzone gameplay.
    [00:15am] Gameplay over for now. How can the system enhance player experience? David Cage is on stage.
    [00:16am] Wants to get player emotionally involved. Lots of talk about how to convey emotion. Technology very important. Compares to films which used to have technical constraints, actors having to exaggerate etc. Modern Tech suddenly made subtle emotions very visible and recognizable. PS4 is there now.
    [00:17am] Talks about old polygon models. 35,000 polygon models on PS4 now shows real time tech demo. Old man's face displayed. Looks incredible in terms of facial animation. "Forget about tech limitations. We can create anything now."
    [00:20am] Now it's about turning creative gaming to the next level. Molecule wants you to record your dreams. They say the PS4 enables insane creativity for developers.
    [00:21am] "Tyranny of polygon" eradicated after 2 years of research by using Move.
    [00:22am] They made a sculpting tool out of Move. Looks really cool for all you Leonardos out there! :D Art comes to PS4.
    [00:23am] Make art with Move and share it with the world. Collaborate on art with people. Hold&Click. Some insane models there... is that a castle? Now live-one take recording.
    [00:25am] 2 guys recording a dream aka concert with Move. Audience flipping out for a second.
    [00:27am] All major third party developers will support PS4 (I would hope so). More amazing new titles to be shared.
    [00:28am] Yoshinori Ono from Capcom on stage. No Street Fighter. Good morning to Japan.
    [00:29am] Wants to FINALLY reveal something. Suddenly Japanese.
    [00:29am] Again, a nostalgic look back on the history of this particular developer's PlayStation history. ...
    [00:31am] Capcom working on new engine for PS4. Refining to fully take advantage of PS4. Called Pantha Rhei.
    [00:32am] If that is gameplay/ real-time we just entered the "looks like CGI age"
    [00:33am] Better not die a coward. Working title of game: Deep Down.
    [00:35am] Next up: Square Enix. OhOHOHOHhhh
    [00:35am] Yoshi Hashimoto on stage. CTO of Square Enix. Historical event for game industry.
    [00:36am] Wants to show real-time cinematic, no game.
    [00:36am] Just had to check my own log if he said real time. I am impressed. UStream collapsing in lag. Ugh.
    [00:40am] Very gorgeous.
    [00:40am] Level of quality that SE is targeting for next-gen titles. Praises PS4. "Massive amount of memory, excellent flexible development environment." PS4 dev environment is developer's dream.
    The only reason I bought a PS3 was for God of War 3, can't see me really bothering with the PS4 unless God of War 4 comes out...:D

22. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    It's about what I expected really. For those not into PC gaming the PS4 will seem like a massive jump - and it is - but to us it's essentially matching what an average gaming PC can do now.

23. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I don't think they'll come close to s leap similar to the Xbox/ps2 to 360/ps3 leap ever again. IMO that was a massive leap in terms of next generation console gaming and a true upgrade, the next wave of consoles feels more like a refresh with a bit more grunt added.

24. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Watch Dogs running on the PS4. Here it comes!

I wonder it how stacks up against the nVidia GTX680 demo.

I don't know about you, or if it was the video, but there was a little slow-down/stuttering on the PS3 demo of Watch Dugs.

Average = Correct.

25. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    The fact that this is based on a PC means there should be a huge leap in terms of game quality, finally the lowest common denominator the devs have to develop for is nearer to a decent spec PC!!

Might even see milti-core support in more games too.

26. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Textures have generally been crap on the gameplay demos. The fact most have been CGI sums it up.

All being well though ports will be better for us and a decent texture pack will mean PC games improve.

27. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I agree, it's more or less a jump from HD ready gaming to full HD gaming with a bit of AA and other effects thrown in. I'm not going to belittle the PS4 because it does look good but I don't think it's worth me going back to from PC gaming.

28. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Considering the PS4 looks like a it's a glorified laptop to-be, I think that it will be more developing for a PC as opposed to a console.

The PS3/360 PC gaming era will be known as, "The Saga of the Console Ports". I think this will be a decent step up and games will feel less like console ports [except from the controller aspect].

29. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yep, maybe PC not being held back by consoles? Oh we can hope :laugh:

30. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Diablo 3 to PS4 and PS3.

It's a crap game but good to see these type of games going across too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.