PS4 Backward compatible following XBox1 revelation?

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by shadow8, Jun 23, 2015.

1. shadow8

shadow8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the word? Does the community think Sony will follow on the heels of Microsoft's X Box 1's legacy games retrospective to bring out a backward compatible PS4 for the Christmas 2015 spending rush?....or is it as Sony says just an impossible ask? If it is impossible hasn't Microsoft stolen a huge march on Sony by cracking the problem and giving the gamer the best of both worlds?

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,279
    No.
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/

3. shadow8

shadow8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Hippo. Streaming is fine but it is also another way to part you from your money! My library of PS2 & PS3 games have already been paid for...why should I be forced to pay out a second time simply to play them on the PS4 ? As an 'ol timer generation one gamer I like to play solo as opposed to being part of a multi-player platform so streaming does not offer me what I want albeit the system meets later generation needs! Staying loyal to Sony over the years hasn't been endorsed by the company. Once they have your money it's adios partner....so much for brand loyalty...

4. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,819
    The bird is the word. Haven't you heard?

No.

Not impossible, they're just going about it a different way and looking to charge for it.

Yes, although I'd argue it's much less effective now than it would have been if it were in place at release.

5. shadow8

shadow8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Interesting take on the Microsoft advance over Sony. Less effective hmmm!

6. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but the cost to benefit ratio isnt cost effective. They've already invested in PSNow, and emulating the cell engine of the PS3 would require a retarded investment.

If anything I would say they may one day find a way to marry your library to PSNow and if you have the disc in the drive or a digital license then it would let you access the PSNow title and stream it. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

I would also disagree it's a massive move on MS. It's a good move no doubt and most likely will incentivise the last gen to adopt the new gen, but it appeals to those who were likely going to stick with XBox this gen as well. So I think they are just upgrading earlier rather than later.

7. shadow8

shadow8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep...thanks. I get what you say about it not being cost effective and that they have invested heavily in PSNow. Your advice is good and I appreciate it.

8. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,934
    I see why MS have done this, to tempt over players that are still on 360 and haven't upgraded yet, but for me I'd much rather both MS and Sony put their money into future NEW games rather than native BC on console or as a streaming service.

The crowd went absolutely wild at the MS E3 conference when it was announced, but I think I was in a minority of XBox supporters that were sat there thinking.......meh! At launch it could have kept the sales a bit closer than they are now, but we'll be two years in by the time this launches proper and there are plenty of new exciting games to be playing.

It's my own personal opinion of course, but then I don't tend to look backwards, I don't agree with all the remakes we're getting all of a sudden. I remember certain games fondly, but I also know that these things are never as good when you go back to them, better to keep the fond memories rather than tarnish them. Onwards and upwards IMO, I look forward to certain game sequels and new IP but won't be using the BC of the XB1.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  9. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    There's something of a suggestion here is that Sony didn't include backwards compatibility because they were going to monetise it through PS Now. I think that's rather disingenuous. Fundamentally, BC is not going to exist for PS3 games for the simple reason that it would be technically very difficult based on the very different architecture of the PS3. I still reckon they could do PS1 and 2 games if they wanted as they're much less demanding.

Further, good as though BC sounds the reality is:
    • It doesn't usually work that consistently - as many of us would have experienced with the PS3 and XBox360. Testing seems to indicate that the XB1 BC produces a range of results from perfect to unplayable.
    • It is underutilised. I saw it described elsewhere as the most requested but least used feature, which sounds about right for me. I think Shenmue II was the only game I played using BC on my 360. Why is this? Because once you're used to current gen old gen assets start to seem borderline unplayable even though you found them cutting edge only a couple of years before. In general most video games don't age well.
    As for PS Now, the primary purpose of this is not about BC, it's about gaming as a service as a future delivery model. It's a new service and the pricing is out of whack but don't let that fool you into thinking it's a cash grab. It's a serious attempt at an alternative delivery model, one that doesn't necessarily even need you to own a console. Technically what they've done so far has been good IMHO, even though I wouldn't bite on the current pricing plans.

10. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    He means less effective in 2015, two years into the new generation, than it would have been were it a launch feature.

11. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Personally I'm not that bothered about backwards compatibility, and never have been. Sure, there are a handful of games that I might be tempted to return to but mostly I buy a next-gen console for new games and new ideas, with a sprinkling of next-gen visuals. Each to their own but I'm not fussed by it all.

12. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,289
    No interest in BC whatsoever.

Rather the money was invested into newer stuff.

I've already played what I wanted to play on previous gen so no interest in playing it again in a machine I've bought for new stuff. Otherwise I'd still be playing in my PS2/3 etc.

Plus I'm a little bit of a graphics snob so going back to the old blocky games is a no no for me :)

When I moved to the new consoles the old ones went. I've no interest in going backwards.

13. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,829
    BC is a great feature, but mainly when it is available at launch when there isn't a wide variery of new gen titles.

Take the 360 for example, MS launched it with BC, so I was able to get into the then next gen and enjoy its launch titles, but could still play Halo 2 multiplayer with Xbox and 360 users, which at the time was still one of the most popular Live titles. Best of both worlds.

BC is a nice to have, but not sure how much use it will get this far into the next gen.

14. shadow8

shadow8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cha1ky

ta for opinion. I think I'll go the same way. Harsh moneywise but don't look back seems the obvious answer. Cheers to all for your views. Very much appreciated....

15. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,320
    I'd get psnow if it was a decent price. I'm always revisiting old games. The dip in visuals has never bothered me. A good game hooks me no matter what. But it would all depend on the game. I'd gladly go back and play the likes of everybody's golf, wipeout, ratchet and clank, uncharted to name a few.

16. BoUnCiNBeN

BoUnCiNBeN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would get psnow just for wipeout lol

17. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    Wipeout was awesome on the PS1 originally, after that just a borefest and should stay dead.
    Same as Everybodys golf, all the versions are the same bar graphics. Best version was ps1 purely because it was the first and the wow factor. Same with Driver, and Resident evil, and Metal Gear.
    Gaming can be bloody awesome now but some feelings cant be recreated.
    For them reasons full back compat/psnow would be great.

18. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I'm a PC gamer but have a load of 360 titles, I've been tempted to also get a console - and likely with BC it will be an xbox1