PS4 5.1 or 7.1?

Damian83

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i just installed atmos speakers so now my system is 5.1.2 and i'm wondering which setting i should choose on ps4. 5.1 or 7.1?

It seems others who wish to access Atmos have the PS4 set to Bitstream and not PCM, That seems to work for them. Sadly, It's not something I've tried at my end as I don't use one in that setup :)

im not meaning i want atmos on ps4. i mean in order to have to best sound positioning in games if i have to switch to 7.1. because i know that in a 5.1 setup, if we set 7.1 on ps4 that will be worst than 5.1, while in movies is different. even if we have a 7.1 source (a 7.1 DD+ track for example), amp will downmix to 5.1 and all will be fine. now, considering atmos speakers is considered "presence" and not "surround", i think the correct setting its still 5.1. i think that it works in this way:
5.1 setting on ps4: sound will be of course 5.1, then amp will create sound for atmos speakers
7.1 setting on ps4: first a downmix from 7.1 to 5.1, then amp will create sound for atmos speakers
meaning in 7.1 we have an additional step that also lowers quality of audio positioning (as i said above)

i'm pretty sure of this theory, however i'm here asking for confirms

anyway, bitstream/LPCM have nothing to do with what i'm saying, but maybe you re referring to blurays on ps4. in this case i have no idea as i dont use it for movies and i dont even know if my ps4 pro supports 4k blurays :)

Yeah I'm referring to movies and not games. Sadly, I haven't got a clue on those settings for games and its been a while since I looked at one. I just seem to remember messing with the one which my lad uses now when I had it integrated into my system (hence not able to take a look at it for you)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom