Ps3's Strange Noise , same for everyone ?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Bigphilscolari, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bigphilscolari

Bigphilscolari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay hi guys here goes ,
    I have had no problems with fan noise from my PS3 but from day one it has made an annoying little high pitched squeaking noise intermittently . It's really hard to described and totally random , at first i though it was the blu-ray drive as it does sound mechanical as though the PS3 is trying to read a disc or something but it still occurs with no disc in the console.

Best way i can describe it is as a High Pitched , mechanical beeping sound which lasts about a second then stops and occurs totally randomly, the ps3 is otherwise working fine and i have no other problems with it , i'm just wondering if this is normal or not as it does get quite annoying .

Has anyone else experienced this ? When i first got the console i just though it must be the way the machine works ,as i say it's not causing any problems with the console and it is well ventilated in a totally open cabinet .

Any comments / help appreciated , i can't be the only one noticing this surely ?:confused:

2. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
  3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Don't see how that thread helps - he's not saying his fan is noisy, only that something is squeeking.

From the description it may not be the fan at all.. could be an overheat warning beep? Also possibly the hard drive being a bit noisy when returning to its idle state? Not easy to tell (my betting would be on the hard drive though).

If it bothers you just get a swapout.

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I've read threads on other forums about this - one of them included a recording of the squealing noise. (I can't find it now.) Ask for a swapout because they don't all do this.

5. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    If you read the thread carefully then a few people state that the fan is making a high pitch noise, I know Bigphilscolari diddnt state the fan but it could be a possability. I do agree that it should be swapped

6. Bigphilscolari

Bigphilscolari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers guys , this has been reported on U.S consoles but i've not heard of any UK Consoles doing this (except mine) its defo either something catching on the fan or the hardrive as it happens wether it's in an idle state or not and it's straight from power on so its not overheating . Fair Play to Sony , called them and it's getting swapped on Monday via courier, can't ask for much more than that :smashin:

7. karlgerrish

karlgerrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this isnt good news for me as im getting the exact same noise, but its after i replaced my hard drive so i cant send it back to sony.

i could put up with the noise as long as it isnt gonna coimpletly pack up one day and lose everything on the drive

anyone else had this after a replacement?

8. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Replacing the Hard drive does not void the warranty. How long have you had it?

Or, if its the HDD causing the noise, back up the HDD and replace the faulty one and transfer your data back onto the new one!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  9. Bigphilscolari

Bigphilscolari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was a fault Sony knew about it and replaced the console :)

10. Bigphilscolari

Bigphilscolari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Apparently they told me it is something to do with the ballbearings in the Blu-ray drive causing the issue, phone em' up and get it replaced it should make no difference if you have upgraded the hard drive :smashin:

11. karlgerrish

karlgerrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure this is same problem as mine as i put the old hard drive back in and it didnt do it again!

have run a drive test on the new 500gb and that came up with nothing so reinstalled back into ps3, where the drive is still making the noise, although it isnt all the time!!

any other ideas?

12. karlgerrish

karlgerrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now its started freezing or quitting whatever im polaying and going back to the menu.

think im gonna downgrade to the 320gb, only hope i dont get the same problem with this as its costing me a fortune!!

13. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,143
    Was the 500gb a 7200 RPM drive or 5400 RPM? I've read you should stick to 5400 rpm as they run much cooler than the faster drives so wonder if your squeak is caused by a heat issue.

14. karlgerrish

karlgerrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it was a 5400RPM

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400RPM SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (WD5000BEVT)

15. Dixius99

Dixius99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same drive and the same sound, which began immediately after installing the drive. So, if it's not the drive itself, it could be the jostling required to replace it?

16. gsar10

gsar10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I have exactly the same problem after changing the PS3 hard drive with the WD5000BEVT. Same noise, total randomly in terms of time intervals.
    I've put the original drive back in, no noise.
    So the noise is definitely from this specific drive model.
    I have connected the drive via sata-to-usb drive enclosure to my PC and it makes the same noise , randomly.
    Maybe some drives have this problem. A friend of mine has the same drive , bought the same day from the same store and does not have the problem.

I think I will send it back and get a new one from my reseller.

Last edited: May 23, 2009