ps3eye as a webcam

Nabs

Novice Member
My wife has started chatting to her relatives on skype via the onboard macbook camera however in all honesty it is a pain to sit in front of the macbook so I was thinking about a wider angled lens that can take in most of the room. I have a ps3 linked up to my tv and therefore thought of the ps3eye.

So I have some questions,
1. is the ps3eye a decent camera in the first instance?
2. how does the camera interact with the ps3 (my ps3 is housed in a cupboard in the next room and controlled via a logitech harmony controller so basically does it actually have to be physically plugged into the ps3?
3. can one use the ps3eye with a macbook on the same network?
4. has skype come to the ps3 yet?

Thanks for your help

kirkleech

I recently spoke to a mate in Norway via the PS3 and Eye cam. Sound was good but picture quality was disappointing.
We both tried adjusting camera settings but had to make do with a blurred picture.

You can plug the camera in via a USB port on your PS3.

I don't believe Skype has come to PS3 yet.

Tigerblade

I recently spoke to a mate in Norway via the PS3 and Eye cam. Sound was good but picture quality was disappointing.
We both tried adjusting camera settings but had to make do with a blurred picture.

You can plug the camera in via a USB port on your PS3.

I don't believe Skype has come to PS3 yet.
I tried it but got opposite. Picture was spot on just couldn't get sound working.

JT

Hi tigerblade, have you made the mike in the eyecam the default setting, i had to change it from bluethooth headset to the cam

Tigerblade

Hi tigerblade, have you made the mike in the eyecam the default setting, i had to change it from bluethooth headset to the cam
I gave up in the end, it's all mounted on the tv and cabled in now so not gonna re-try.

Nabs

Novice Member
Further to my last post, I am thinking of also adding ps3 Move. Now my problem is that my TV is in a different room to my PS3 currently. The only connections between the both are an HDMI cable and a cat6 cable connected directly to my ethernet switches and home network. Any one know if I can connect a PS3 Eye to the ps3 via a wired network?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Nope, usb only.

themediaman

Novice Member
You can plug your camera into any device, but you need to downlaod drivers first, they also come with a little UI.....ggogle it....

Top Bottom