PS3 WPA Wireless Issues... DG834G V3 Netgear Router - PS3 won't connect

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
My PS3 is no longer able to connect to my Netgear DG834G V3 Wireless Router when WPA or WPA2 is enabled... I basically updated my firmware on my router to the latest one, and ever since, the PS3 won't connect. I have other computers which are still connecting fine wirelessly and via LAN... so the problem isn't with the router.

I remember it was a nightmare getting the PS3 to work with my router when I first bought it... and can't remember how I eventually got it to work.

The PS3 is currently connecting 'only' when WPA is disabled...

I have checked ALL the settings again and again but it still refuses to connect. Get PS3 error code saying check wireless security settings.

It does see the Router when scanning and can tell the correct WPA being used, but just seems to time out when connecting...

I have tried entering all the correct settings manually, but it still doesn't work.

I am using MAC address filtering and WPA / WPA2. It works fine with MAC filtering on and WPA off, so I know it's not the MAC filtering causing any probs.

After looking online, I found there are loads of other people with a similar problem (with completely different routers). They appear to be saying the PS3 has issues with WPA connectivity...(?) - Any fixes for this?? Have read that these people have no option but to just use MAC filtering and no WPA... I am not willing to disable WPA on my router as it's not secure enough, so any ideas on what is causing this and how to rectify it... Has anyone else noticed this?

(Can this be a signal strength related issue?)

I won't cope if I can't play PS3 games online...(!)

And before anyone says it, I don't have the option of moving my router near my PS3 and using the LAN cable...

Sony kit isn't compatible at all with the mixed AES/TKIP mode that some routers have... it's not unique in that. Set it at either AES or TKIP and it'll work (TKIP is more compatible with older hardware).

Alternatively invest in homeplugs :p

Under wireless settings, setup access list, try adding the ps3 to the trusted list so to speak. Nothing connects to the DG834PN in secure mode, unless you add it to the access list.

Give it a try if you haven't already:thumbsup:

Yes, i am having exactly the same problems as you fella. After updating i can only use wep which works fine. Cannot use wpa at all now, yet the ps3 was working fine with wpa before the update.

I did contact netgear, but they was not very hepful.

There was a post here on the netgear forum with people having the same trouble.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=10683

I hope they bring out a fix soon.

I've got a Netgear DG834PN router, updated with the latest firmware, which has never worked with my PS3 for longer than 15 minutes. Even with all wireless security disabled.

After many wasted hours of trying to get the bloody thing to stay connected, I returned to another Netgear router I had, the DG834G V3 with the latest firmware installed, which at least works now, but of course WPA doesn't, so I've currently got WEP enabled.

I'm tempted to download the previous firmware from the Netgear website and then reinstall it, or would that risk killing the router?

Thanks for the responses - Interesting to hear that there is a potential known fault with the Netgear firmware...

Sony kit isn't compatible at all with the mixed AES/TKIP mode that some routers have... it's not unique in that. Set it at either AES or TKIP and it'll work (TKIP is more compatible with older hardware).

I've already tried AES , TKIP and Mixed Mode but same problem...

Under wireless settings, setup access list, try adding the ps3 to the trusted list so to speak. Nothing connects to the DG834PN in secure mode, unless you add it to the access list.

Give it a try if you haven't already:thumbsup:

PS3 is added to trusted list already... (Just curious - What 'device name' are people using for their PS3 in the Netgear settings?)

Yes, i am having exactly the same problems as you fella. After updating i can only use wep which works fine. Cannot use wpa at all now, yet the ps3 was working fine with wpa before the update.

I did contact netgear, but they was not very hepful.

There was a post here on the netgear forum with people having the same trouble.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=10683

I hope they bring out a fix soon.

Hmmm - Very Interesting... At least I know that it's nothing I'm doing wrong I guess... :smashin:

Have just contacted Netgear saying that there is a firmware fault - will see if I get anywhere with that... I can't even revert back to the previous firmware version as they have removed it from their download section... :suicide:

I'm tempted to download the previous firmware from the Netgear website and then reinstall it, or would that risk killing the router?

From what I read online, it's fine to revert back to previous firmware versions...

Finding them however is a whole different story... :smashin:

Thought they were on the netgear website under support for the router, on left hand side of screen for DG834PN

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834PN.asp

The previous firmware versions that worked with the PS3 have been removed for the DG834G V3 router... (I've asked Netgear to put them back...) ;)

Also - If any of you reading this thread are experiencing this same problem, make sure you contact Netgear using their website - if enough people complain, they will have to update their firmware...

I'll happily knock you up an ethernet cable as long as you need. :smashin:

I was using wireless for mine via my DG834G but that stopped working so I just use an 8m ethernet cable instead now.

Funnily enough I've not had any problems since...

Previous versions are on the website

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv3.asp

I have connected my DG834PN without any problems, so not sure on the DG834G

I only see the UK version 4.01.06 firmware available to revert to prior to the latest firmware. I had version 4.01.19 on my router (which was working with the PS3 using WPA) before I upgraded to the latest version 4.01.28 (which doesn't work with PS3 using WPA).

The old saying “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” comes to mind here

Never update firmware to products unless you are experiencing problems the only item I have updated is my DVD Rom drive in pc as it would skip on music and flutter badly updated and was cured

Why cause problems by updating firmware when you don’t need to ??????
Contary to belief it can do more harm than good

The old saying “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” comes to mind here

Never update firmware to products unless you are experiencing problems the only item I have updated is my DVD Rom drive in pc as it would skip on music and flutter badly updated and was cured

Why cause problems by updating firmware when you don’t need to ??????
Contary to belief it can do more harm than good

While i agree with you for the most part some Firmware offer features and functions that were not present in previous firmware so it can be a good idea to update.

While i agree with you for the most part some Firmware offer features and functions that were not present in previous firmware so it can be a good idea to update.

That's true, but if upgrading causes problems then it's time to change back to what worked. If the current firmware is allowing a device to function exactly as desired and no problems are being experienced then it's prudent to stick with it.

I'm running a Netgear DG384GT on firmware V1.02.04 which I updated to in order to resolve a VPN pass though issue, however as everything is working fine now I have no intention of updating it again. I've worked in PC/Systems Support for over 8 years now and always tell people that updating firmware for the sake of it isn't a good idea, only update as and when necessary as there's always a chance that there will be problems.

Just a bump for this thread in case anyone is still having problems with the Netgear DG834G v3 router and getting the PS3 network to run with WPA security enabled. By downgrading the firmware to V4.01.06 I did lose a bunch of WPA options, but WPA-PSK is still available and I can happily confirm that it all works fine with 2 PCs, a printer and both the PS3 and Xbox 360 on my wireless network. Happy days!

But I still cant get the Netgear DG834PN router to work with any of the firmware options that are available on the support page of the Netgear site. That router just doesn't seem to like the PS3, even if I give the PS3 a static IP address and place it in the DMZ. Strange, though, because I believe some people have got it to work with the PS3. It's got me well and truly beat. Oh well.

Just a bump for this thread in case anyone is still having problems with the Netgear DG834G v3 router and getting the PS3 network to run with WPA security enabled. By downgrading the firmware to V4.01.06 I did lose a bunch of WPA options, but WPA-PSK is still available and I can happily confirm that it all works fine with 2 PCs, a printer and both the PS3 and Xbox 360 on my wireless network. Happy days!

But I still cant get the Netgear DG834PN router to work with any of the firmware options that are available on the support page of the Netgear site. That router just doesn't seem to like the PS3, even if I give the PS3 a static IP address and place it in the DMZ. Strange, though, because I believe some people have got it to work with the PS3. It's got me well and truly beat. Oh well.

I ended up just using WEP, as Netgear Customer Support weren't of much use and like you I had tried everything. WEP works OK on the latest firmware with the PS3 but not WPA. Not ideal I know, but I thought downgrading from version .28 to .6 would be too detrimental for my router. I regularly check to see if my WEP connection is being leeched, and all is well so far, so I will probably just stay with WEP...

Had problems myself with this router and the PS3.

Ended up making a 10m ethernet cable instead. Long enough to go around the edge of the room and along the skirting board.

WEP's crap for security.

Had problems myself with this router and the PS3.

Ended up making a 10m ethernet cable instead. Long enough to go around the edge of the room and along the skirting board.

WEP's crap for security.

Forgot to mention that I also use MAC address filtering with the 128 bit WEP...

Forgot to mention that I also use MAC address filtering with the 128 bit WEP...

I also have this router and went down the wired router, there is no way on earth I would go with MAC filtering and WEP, you can clone a MAC address very easily, MAC addresses are sent in the clear even when you encrypt, a few tools off the net and a hacker can defeat MAC filtering easily and WEP isn't worth using, my advice would be use a long lead or get a pair of home plugs.

OK - Seeing as it worked for you, I'll do that then...

You guys have got me really paranoid about my wireless protection, so downgrading to version 6 sounds better than leaving things as they are... ;)

Thanx for that thread!

I'm using the same router (DG834G v3) and was recently thinking about updating firmware (I'm using WPA to connect wireless my PS3). Good thing I've found this thread. I'll wait for a fix first and then update my firmware.

Please keep us informed

Thanx
Adrian

Have just downgraded to v4.01.06 and can confirm that WPA-PSK works fine now with everything including PS3(!) :smashin:

All the previous settings were kept intact so I didn't even have to enter everything again, and as said below, you do lose some WPA options, but WPA-PSK is there and works great :thumbsup:

Hi,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem, do we lose anything important by downgrading?

Thanks

Kendal

Hi,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem, do we lose anything important by downgrading?

Thanks

Kendal

Doesn't appear to be too much lost - stuff like WPA2, WPA-TKIP etc. disappears but WPA-PSK is still there.

One thing I did notice though is that the Internet Status LED on the front of the router doesn't flash anymore to show when it's downloading/uploading data. Small thing I know, but was kinda useful...

Anyway - You really have nothing to lose as you can always put the latest firmware back on if you aren't happy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom