• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ps3 wont update

danny237

Standard Member
i could do with some help with my ps3 slim iv just rebult it after overheating put a new hd in it, it wont me to up date it to 3.6 so iv down loaded the up date and put it on a usb stick but the ps3 dose not read it iv even tryed a cd with the same update but still wont read it has any one got any idears thxone more thing it dose not load up to the home screen

DJSigma

Banned
Did you just put the update on the root of the stick? If so, it needs to be in this folder structure: -

PS3\UPDATE\Update file

So create a folder on the USB stick called PS3, then inside that, create a folder called UPDATE and then put the downloaded update in there and try again.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Folders have to be in capital letters as well.

If that still doesn't work, maybe you need to try downloading the file again. Maybe it was incomplete.

danny237

Standard Member
yep done that tryed a difrent usb as well just in case it was falty is there a bios on ps3 coz there should be and if there is how to reset it

kendoll

danny237 said:
yep done that tryed a difrent usb as well just in case it was falty is there a bios on ps3 coz there should be and if there is how to reset it

Have you tried it over the Internet?

Steven

Senior Moderator
PSN is down ;)

First time I updated firmware I used usb and had to re-download it for the file to take for whatever reason. Ever since I have stuck to online updating

kendoll

Steven said:
PSN is down ;)

First time I updated firmware I used usb and had to re-download it for the file to take for whatever reason. Ever since I have stuck to online updating

Yep. But the updates can still be downloaded from the console if it is connected to the Internet. :)

danny237

Standard Member
ok ill have to wait till ps3 back online to see if this works but if the ps3 needs drivers of the blue ray and the usb wont it need drivers for ethernet cable

thesaint02

ok ill have to wait till ps3 back online to see if this works but if the ps3 needs drivers of the blue ray and the usb wont it need drivers for ethernet cable

What drivers?
Just connect it to the internet either wireless or ethernet, and try and update via the XMB.

danny237

Standard Member
the ps3 dose not load to the home screen it loads to a black sreen with writing on it wich ask me to up date to 3.6 the only screen i can go to is safe screen which it still wonts me to up date because it needs the drivers

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Can you put your original Hard drive back into your PS3?
It's only asking for you to update via USB cos you've changed hard drives.

Dan2008

Also having this problem on my GF'S ps3, On 3.41 and if i try to upgrade to 3.55/3.60 or any it's just a loop where it gets to about 85% and then sais there is an error.

After it restarts and keeps trying until a message come up saying unplug it for a few minutes and try again, Or contact Sony, But doesn't get any further.

kendoll

the ps3 dose not load to the home screen it loads to a black sreen with writing on it wich ask me to up date to 3.6 the only screen i can go to is safe screen which it still wonts me to up date because it needs the drivers

Is this 'safe' screen the Recovery screen?

Restart System:
Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.

Restore Default Settings:
Reset all system settings back to default.

Restore File System:
Checks for corrupt/missing system files.

Rebuild Database:
Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.

Restore PS3 System:
Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.

System Update:
Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

danny237

Standard Member
Did the recon motherboard come with the paired blu-ray motherboard?
iv got a recon motherboard as mine dyed then the harddrive stoped reading so i got a newone then all my old bits in my ps3 slim put them on the recon board and built it up all tune on fine just asks for and up date but the up date with usb or disc wont work

danny237

Standard Member
iv got a recon motherboard as mine dyed then the harddrive stoped reading so i got a newone then all my old bits in my ps3 slim put them on the recon board and built it up all tune on fine just asks for and up date but the up date with usb or disc wont work
but it did come with the blue ray board that is pared with the reconboard but i did not touch the blue ray so are you saying that i have to change the blue ray board

danny237

Standard Member
Is this 'safe' screen the Recovery screen?

Restart System:
Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.

Restore Default Settings:
Reset all system settings back to default.

Restore File System:
Checks for corrupt/missing system files.

Rebuild Database:
Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.

Restore PS3 System:
Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.

System Update:
Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
rep that the bad boy

kendoll

but it did come with the blue ray board that is pared with the reconboard but i did not touch the blue ray so are you saying that i have to change the blue ray board

Yes I believe they are paired and I would use the paired set but I am not sure that would cause the issue you have but it is definitely worth trying.

danny237

Standard Member
ITS WORKING got it to update by disc as soon as i change the blue ray board it found the disc with the up dates and it on thanks all for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom