ps3 wont recognise all of my fat32 partations

electrosmith

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I formated my 120GB external HD into 4 fat32 partations, but my PS3 will only recognise 1 of them, any idea what could be causing this.

With FAT32 you can only have a max volume size of <32MB... So for your 120GB drive you will have to create 37, 32MB partitions.... If my math is correct... give or take a few MB.

I always create my FAT32 part for the PS3 at 30MB to be on the safe side

Hope that helps

Last edited:
My 1tb external drive formatted to fat32 very nicely on 1 partition using fat32format.exe. (ps3 recognises all 1tb of storage space)

Takes all of about 3 seconds to do too.

Why would you want more than 1 partition?​

Last edited:
With FAT32 you can only have a max volume size of <32MB... So for your 120GB drive you will have to create 37, 32MB partitions.... If my math is correct... give or take a few MB.

I always create my FAT32 part for the PS3 at 30MB to be on the safe side

Hope that helps

your post couldn't be anymore wrong I'm afraid.

the 32MB your refer to is actually 32Gb and it's not a limit on FAT32 partition sizes it's a limit of the GUI formatting tool in Windows.

There are 3rd party tools available (such as ridgecrops fat32format) that will format partitions up to 2TB

To answer the OP i beleive the PS3 will only read a single partition on each attached device.

It can only recognise one partition , its does not have a fully featured OS and cant see more than one partition per USB connection.

Also I have a 160 GB WD passprt drive and it has no problem recognising the whole volume , also a 500GB WD mybook drive and it has no problem with that either , besides the fact that its a little on the slow side in picking up all the files.

Not unusably slow though.

I'll try formatting/creating just one 120GB FAT32 partition, will partition magic be suitable for doing this ?

Dont you have to use DOS for that ?

nope. the 32gb limit is purely a windows OS lformatting limitation, but there are programs freely available (like that posted above) that will format a single fat32 partition to the maximum of 2tb:)

I'm trying out Fat32Formatter but I'm stuck. I've followed the instructions to the point where it says to type in "fat32format f:" in Fat32format's menu screen in DOS. But it keeps on coming up with

"Fat32Format" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Any idea where I am going wrong ?

Where did you save the fat32format.exe tool to?

You need to open up a command prompt and change directory to wherever you saved the tool to.

You then type the command in and it'll format it. :smashin:

Where did you save the fat32format.exe tool to?

You need to open up a command prompt and change directory to wherever you saved the tool to.

You then type the command in and it'll format it. :smashin:

Bingo. Basically, if you saved it to your Program Files folder, then using the command "cd" in command prompt, you would type:

cd C:\Program Files

Then after that you would type:

fat32format f:

f being your drive :smashin:

Bingo. Basically, if you saved it to your Program Files folder, then using the command "cd" in command prompt, you would type:

Then after that you would type:

f being your drive :smashin:

Tried the above and moved the Fat32format programe to my Programes folder, it still comes back with saying

"Fat32Format" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

This is what I typed in Command prompt while fat32format is placed in my Program Folder.

cd C:\Program Files\fat32format

with it then coming up with this

Last edited:
Tried the above and moved the Fat32format programe to my Programes folder, it still comes back with saying

Instead of typing "fat32format f:" have you tried "fat32format.exe f:"?

Instead of typing "fat32format f:" have you tried "fat32format.exe f:"?

Nope, it still comes up with the same message. Is there no other programe out there that can format a FAT32 partaion bigger than 32GB ?

Change directory to c/program files, not c/program files/fat32format...

Then, when it shows you're in c/program files, type in fat32format <drive letter>.

I've probably got the syntax wrong - follow the ridgecrop guide on how exactly to type the commands. :smashin:

Last edited:
Change directory to c/program files, not c/program files/fat32format...

Then, when it shows you're in c/program files, type in fat32format <drive letter>.

I've probably got the syntax wrong - follow the ridgecrop guide on how exactly to type the commands. :smashin:

Sorry I didn't understand that, is there not another programe I can use ?

Last edited:
Still says the same message. Surly something else exists out there ?

Still says the same message. Surly something else exists out there ?

Not any freeware, this is your best bet.
If you want, I can make you a batch file that you run and it will do it all for you.
Just tell me what the drive letter is of your drive you want to format, and the path of where fat32format.exe is saved. :smashin:

Done it!!!!!!!!! :clap

Thanks guys for helping me out, I just hope now that my PS3 will recognise it.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no Idea what the bloody hell any of you lot are talking about???? :confused:

I dread the day I need to put a new hard disc in my ps3 :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom