• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ps3 will not switch on.

topcat60

Standard Member
I hope someone can help me. My sons ps3 will not switch on. There is power going to the unit and the red light is on, when you put your finger on the switch the red light goes off and the green light comes on. You hear the hard drive start up for about 2 seconds and then goes off and the green light goes off and the red light comes on but flashes. If you touch the switch the red light goes to steady.
Thank you for any help you can give, Terry.

cols

Prominent Member
That sounds like a dead ps3 i'm sorry to say mate. Are you in your year's warranty still? If so you can take it back for an exchange. If not you can call the Playstation care line (08705998877) and they'll offer you a refurbished unit at a cost.

Last edited:

JRTPS3

Standard Member
What model PlayStation 3 do you have? Your problem is the "Yellow Light of Death" or YLOD for short, there is a fix for this, just type in Yellow Light of Death repairs in on google. They are normally around £70 though.

Your other option is to phone SONY like the other user said and they will offer you a refurbished console in exchange for yours and will ask for £150.

They down side to this is that you lose all your data on your HDD.

The Yellow Light of Death happened to me and I got a refurbished model from SONY, the refurbished model then got YLOD so I got another refurbished one, as soon as the SECOND refurbished model came after 5 hours that too got YLOD. SONY obviously do not repair the PS3's to a good standard.

EDIT: Obviously if you are still in warranty none of the above would be needed, just go and swap it at the place you bought it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom