PS3 will be £299......

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceman763

Established Member
Reaction score
...............by this christmas!!!!

How do i know this? Well i bet a number of people clicked on this thread because that is what they are holding out for. Lets admit it.... sales although good are starting to drop behind the Wii .... and money from software sales will seriously be affected.

Sony will need to reduce the price to get more of these machines into peoples homes asap. Dont get me wrong... the PS3 will be a hugely successful machine in 2 to 3 years time but the problem is that currently it is out of the price range of the majority of its buyers.

I read that the Wii outsold the PS3 in Japan 7 to 1 last week!!!!! That is scary and Sony must do something to reverse this trend. If the equivalent price in Japan for a PS3 is circa £290, I see no reason why they could not introduce that price in the UK by winter.

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see but at the moment i'm holding out!!! I wonder how many here will do the same?

I was tempted to go for the £359 offer this weekend however I will probably hold out until later in the year when more games are released and the Console is around the £300 mark. :)

I think the price will fall before Christmas but 299 sounds unrealistic. I think something like 350 is more likely.

The problem with the PS3 pricing is that theres no choice with it, the 360 had different choices and the Wii is not so much money, it was allways going to sell well at that price(Wii). I like you think it'll be £299 sooner rather than latter but the PS3 its not as expencive as people make out. I think the problem with it is that they choose for you in what bits you take, but its not as expencive as some think, A 360 with the HDDVD drive is up there with it in price and the Elite with the HDVD drive will no doubt be more, one + it has is, well its the cheapest blu ray player around, oh and Motostorm is good.:smashin:

but its not as expencive as some think

absolutely right... it is not that expensive at all for what you get. Problem is that the average customer will never look at it this way which is understandable. Although blueray is fundamental element of the ps3 most people do not want to pay extra for this privilidge.

It is a catch 22 situation for sony. They could not have done a Microsoft and make an optional blue ray add on because the games use blue ray discs in the first place!!!

From a business perspective next christmas will be an interesting battle. The Wii will be around the £150 mark which will tempt many 'impulse' gamers! The 360 will always be around the £250 mark probably with a game thrown in. Sony must reduce down to £299 to break that psychological barrier.

I think the price will fall before Christmas but 299 sounds unrealistic. I think something like 350 is more likely.

its already £360 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not officially though, only from one retailer.
I think it will probably come down to £350 officially round Christmas time, Can't see them dropping it down to £300 though.

Well no... not really.

Just because shopto.net have a limited time offer means that you could get one that cheap if you buy from them, one retailer trying to shift stock is not the same as the retail price of the PS3 being £360. The psychological barrier relates to people walking into any shop and seeing the price being at a good point for them rather than having to hunt all over the web for the cheapest price. If someone goes to Argos, Curry's, Toys 'R Us etc and gets it in their head that the price is way too high then they are less likely to go bargain hunting.

It is the official RRP that needs to come down and not be a case of semi-desperate retailers that are lowering the price because they realise how much stock they have which is not shifting.

Anyone who thinks the price will be down to £299 by Christmas needs to stop dreaming as it's not going to happen. £375 or £399 is a vague possibility, possibly even £350 but no way in :censored: is it going to go down to £299 so soon.

well I'am holding out have been since launch. anything that brings price closer down below the 350 mark would make me happy.

I'd accept £400 if there was enough with the console but as people have said there is limited choice with the ps3 at present I mean I can't believe they don't even have an official headset!

Anyone who thinks the price will be down to £299 by Christmas needs to stop dreaming as it's not going to happen. £375 or £399 is a vague possibility, possibly even £350 but no way in :censored: is it going to go down to £299 so soon.

You seem to forget we're living in a free market. If the PS3 fails to sell at its price Sony will be forced to reduce the price or risk failing completely.

It's true the PS3 is an amazing machine with so much built in, but a BIG price drop is going to happen sooner rather than later because the PS3 is getting hammerd because of it's price even though it is far better than xbox 360 and the Wi, the price is just to much for the console market!

It has to be £299, what's the point of a £399 console if it's not selling, they simply HAVE to get these things off shelves and into peoples homes otherwise the game is over. It's perfectly obvious Sony have dropped a major clanger with this, they've made it expensive due to reasons that don't concern most of the potential market (kids/teenagers) and by doing that they've priced themselves out of the market. The only people interested in buying it are AV fanatics with a lot of disposal income , sure it's a bargain blu-ray player but joe public doesn't give a crap about that. It will be £299 if Sony care about their market share in the games market purely and simply because that's the highest price most people will pay for a games console.

Interesting views.....

A price drop from £399 to £350 will not increase sales much...i've spoken to many people (social circle and work colleagues) who all say they'll buy one once it hits the £300 mark. I think most 'casual' ps fans have set this as their upper limit (not inc accessories).

I guess any decision will ultimately be based on sales figures in Q3 going into Q4.

In the long run (3-4 years) the PS3 will be the most successful console... simply because its the most future proof machine. The wii will be very dated by then and will only be for the ultra casual gamer.

It's true the PS3 is an amazing machine with so much built in, but a BIG price drop is going to happen sooner rather than later because the PS3 is getting hammerd because of it's price even though it is far better than xbox 360 and the Wi, the price is just to much for the console market!

While I agree with the statement that the price must fall I just have to disagree with the later part of your comment. One of the things really hampering the PS3 is that it is carrying its current price point when it really is *not* far better than the 360 as a gaming console and has to try and justify that gap in price without any real current grounding to do that. In fact the games available for both machines, i.e. those ported from the 360, to date have generally been considered slightly worse that their Microsoft counterpart.

It all comes down to what you want out of a games machine and what you want to play/do with it because there will be some that will argue that the Wii is far better than the 360 and PS3 and they would be right by their own justification.

But as games consoles the 360 and PS3 are very comparable in terms of features and intention (HD and online oriented), and that very comparrison makes the PS3 look overpriced. If you look at the common games to date there is next to nothing that would justify the differential in price between the two to anyone with an open mind. Whether future releases will show a differential remains to be seen but for that we only have marketing hype and the usual internet 'my console is better than yours' to rely on. No doubt this very lack of advancement is making a lot of people hold off for a more equivalent price and in this way it is the lower price of the 360 that will force the PS3 price down, and probably far sooner than Sony had originally hoped (just as the low price of the PS2 made the XBox look very overpriced). There will be people that would never be willing to buy a 360 and fine that is their choice, but of those people there is no doubt in my mind that there will be a good number that are holding off on the PS3 until it comes to a comfortably close price to the 360 because it is not offerring anything more (as a games console!).

Sorry I do not mean to drag this into yet another PS3 vs 360 argument but I fundamentally disagree with a flat out statement that the PS3 is simply better than the rest without some concept of the grounding for that opinion.

@kahled.

I have both a PS3 and 360 and will not say one or the other is better, what I will say is the PS3 seems more expencive becuase rather than being clever ala M$ its all in one package. So yes you can buy a core 360 for a small amount of money in comparison, but you still need to adjust acordingly. Xbox360 with all that the PS3 has in terms of being equal, 360 premium, HDDVD drive if we can call that about equal wheres the big price difference. I'm sorry but I will not advocate any console in terms of which is better but I will say the full pakage 360 is in no way that much cheaper than the £359 you can buy the PS3 for at shopto, its more in fact. In no way am I saying your wrong because we have choice with M$ but the PS3 may be more money but one you equal out the features of each console, well theres not much in it.:)

@kahled.

I have both a PS3 and 360 and will not say one or the other is better, what I will say is the PS3 seems more expencive becuase rather than being clever ala M$ its all in one package. So yes you can buy a core 360 for a small amount of money in comparison, but you still need to adjust acordingly. Xbox360 with all that the PS3 has in terms of being equal, 360 premium, HDDVD drive if we can call that about equal wheres the big price difference. I'm sorry but I will not advocate any console in terms of which is better but I will say the full pakage 360 is in no way that much cheaper than the £359 you can buy the PS3 for at shopto, its more in fact. In no way am I saying your wrong because we have choice with M$ but the PS3 may be more money but one you equal out the features of each console, well theres not much in it.:)

No I agree with what you are saying *if* a buyer wants to have the extra capability to play HD movies, however since this reflects only a small percentage of the population currently then that was why I carefully kept my comments limited to the two console in their games console persona. Not everyone that buys the PS3 will be interested in blu-ray movies because there will be a good percentage who do not even have HD displays connected to it never mnd just not caring about it in general.

Sony has placed itself in a very difficult position with regard to its blu-ray capability because to anyone that wants both features then the PS3 represents good value at its current price point, but to anyone just wanting a games machine then it does not look good value. If one of the primary reasons of buying a PS3 is to play blu ray movies then that all begins to fall apart as soon as standalone player prices fall sub-PS3 price (which with falling HD-DVD player prices seems a likely situation within the next 12 months) as well. Worse even if blu ray as a movie does fall behind HD-DVD in market perception (and that is a whole other debate that has been ongoing for months in other areas of this board with people heavily defending and justifying either side).

Blu ray does indeed go a good way to cover the price differential but only to those who are interested in it as a capability/feature. The Playstation brand has always been mainly about games consoles to date and that association will not be shaken easily from the general perception, and as a games console it looks very much expensive compared to the other machines now available (and especially the 360 when looking at games side by side).

Fair enough mate but I think we need to look at it that, most gamers will buy a 360 premium if they wany a M$ console at £280 so £70 for the extra of a blu ray player is not much on top. Of course Shopto are only doing the console at that price just now but I believe that thats what the realistic price point for the PS3 is going to end up, around £350. I allways try to go on facts with the games being better on one console or the other and have seen no evidence that either the 360 or PS3 is so far infront in the graphics front that its hard to say which is better, neither if you ask me. Its a debate that will run and run and I hope that both consoles are succesfull and afordable as being a guy who loes games we all win that way, the only reason I have both is because I got fed up seeing all the PS3 is better than 360 posts so I got a PS3 to see, sig tell the story.:)

Of course cjay , you are supposing that when the PS3 drops to £350 that the 360 will still be priced at £280? Which it may well be, but it could also just as easily get its first major price drop at the same time.
Of course at the moment ,although you can buy just a 360 premium for £280, most cases you will get a couple of games thrown in as well.

Speaking to friends and family , price is the major stumbling block regarding the PS3 . Now, these are not your die hard gamers that have to have the latest kit.They are more than happy with their 21" BUSH CRT TV, and they think Hi-Fi means an Aiwa all-in-one system with a front panel that wouldnt look out of place in a disco.However , in their households there is at least one games machine, either a 360,Wii or (more likely)PS2 or a mixture of the three .They have no need or desire for wireless connection, they wouldnt buy a DVD for more than £5 let alone £20 -£30 on a Bluray .They just want a games machine. They are the people Sony needs to get onboard .

I think its very hard to market blu-ray. I mean its a good deal getting a blu-ray player and games console but the fact that theres no way of showing people what the quality is like unless they either have a hdtv or go to a shop. If they could display hdtv adverts showing the quality on a old crt then im sure alot of people would jump to buy it.
Most of my friends find the price huge! Alot of them want one but only when it becomes realistic!
I think by xmas it will be at £349.99

At current exhcange rates the 60gb ps3 is £270 in the states. Sales over there are still very poor in comparison to the wii and 360. Price is a big issue but its also the lack of decent games that is a major problem.

Also if they dropped the price by that much over here so soon affter launch it would go down very badly with the early adopters who shelled out over £400 for the ps3. Look at the mess MS got into with big price drops on the xbox shortly after launch.

I dont think Sonys reputation could take another pr gaff of that sort of magnitude...

They are definately going to have to drop the price to some degree though. I think they will do it in September / October in time for Christmas probably £349 to co incide with the 360 price drops. Its looking like the 360 will go to £199 for the premium and £149 for the core towards the end of the year. Even at £349 the ps3 would still look expensive.

Its no point going on about Bluray and that the ps3 is good value for money for what you are getting as a package. Its become pretty obvious from America and Japan people are not buying these things for the BR playback. To be honest the wirless connectivity is rubbish, I have hard wired mine now to the network and I have never used the card reader. I would have been much happier with a 20gb ps3 without the extras I dont use for £299. Talking to most people I know that have bought one they tend to agree...

Why not going on about the value as a package, thats what its about at the end of the day. I agree the PS3 is expencive but I don't agree with ha ha its doomed because the 360 is cheaper posts(not aimed at anyone), alot of people will own these PS3's in the end and the ones who have it now are most likely people who love games, I just dont think it fair to slate them on it because they haven't been as clever as M$ in the pricing, and to be fair who is when it comes to making money. All I know is rather than be the suporter of one or the other I would like to enjoy them both, I love playing games too much not to.:thumbsup:

absolutely right... it is not that expensive at all for what you get. Problem is that the average customer will never look at it this way which is understandable. Although blueray is fundamental element of the ps3 most people do not want to pay extra for this privilidge.

It is a catch 22 situation for sony. They could not have done a Microsoft and make an optional blue ray add on because the games use blue ray discs in the first place!!!

From a business perspective next christmas will be an interesting battle. The Wii will be around the £150 mark which will tempt many 'impulse' gamers! The 360 will always be around the £250 mark probably with a game thrown in. Sony must reduce down to £299 to break that psychological barrier.

A lot of the ps3 games are using same discs as 360 dual layer not blu-ray.

A lot of the ps3 games are using same discs as 360 dual layer not blu-ray.

Incorrect. All PS3 games come on blu-ray discs. If you look on the back they all haved the blu-ray logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom