ps3 ,WD mybook nas,netbook and airport.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all :hiya:
just few Q's
im thinking about one of these
WESTERN DIGITAL My Book World Edition Network Hard Drive - 1TB at cheap prices | PC World
but dont know much about them...so

is it easy to transfer all my saved music and vids to the NAS?
iv just read that the ps3 will "find" the nas without any problems.

but! wil my netbook/pc beable to find the nas or will i need to install some softwear?

also will apple's airport beable to find the NAS as well (hoping to buy soon)
so i can stream music upstairs...?(i know it's nout to do with the ps3 but just asking as someone might know )

thanks

Your PCs and MACS will be able to see the NAS no problem, you can then access it using various protocols............you can then map it as a drive and access IT like any hard disk partition.........the PS3 will also see the NASs DNLA server when running...........

not much experience with airport, but I am assuming this is a wireless router of some kind, if so , you will need to wire the NAS into this, this will then make the NAS available to all other wireless devices on the LAN.........

Your PCs and MACS will be able to see the NAS no problem, you can then access it using various protocols............you can then map it as a drive and access IT like any hard disk partition.........the PS3 will also see the NASs DNLA server when running...........

not much experience with airport, but I am assuming this is a wireless router of some kind, if so , you will need to wire the NAS into this, this will then make the NAS available to all other wireless devices on the LAN.........

thanks
"airport is just an other means of streaming as i use itunes a lot (iphone)
so just wondering if it would work the NAS

an other Q's just been reading about copying files from a exturnal HDD
and a lot of people where having problems (hanging around not finishing the file thats was been copyed)

sounds like a pain the ass to me
....but im going to have to transfer all my date to the nas ,
could i use the ethenet port from my pc and pulg my ex hdd to pc and copy the file that way ...?

ps how secure are these nas ..... i dont want the neighbours getting hold of my data
is there password or something to stop them

cheers

So do you use something else to create your wireless network....

A lot of NAS devices have server software that can accommodate itunes, you should look into it...

Depending on the speed of the network, Gb being best you can plug your Usb drive into a pc that is wired and transfer no problem, you can even do it wirelessly too all be it much slower, but its just as quick to plug it straight into the nas and tell it to copy everything, it is a pain at the start, depending on how much data you have...

There is security, but they would need to get past your router and then the nas passwords, really safe....you can access the files remotely through ftp and http(s) but this also needs a password.....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

iv just got a netgear router (few years old ) from sky

did not realize the router would be the "firewall"
so thats a good thing:smashin:

a lot of my data is on an old WD exturnal hd
about 100gb of music and about the same for vids

but i do a have a lot of cds, which im wanting to put all in one place :eg:
the NAS

would i right in saying that i just copy the cds the pc/netbook and then to the nas
or can i do it straight the the nas ?

cherrs for the help so far:smashin:

So there's not much there in terms of the capacity some nas can offer.....for someone close to your wireless network like a neighbour to access it they would need to connect to your network first, then the nas locally with its IP info and security credentials, you can access your stuff anywhere with a net connection by ftp for example, but again credentials are required and you can set up read/write privileges if you did ever want to give access to friends and family.....

You would need to rip your cds to mp3,sms then copy over.....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

thanks "themediaman"

will have look to see the nas will work with my iphone and itunes

if so looks like a good little thing to have
will save me diggin around trying to the music i want:smashin:

cheers
andy

thanks "themediaman"

will have look to see the nas will work with my iphone and itunes

if so looks like a good little thing to have
will save me diggin around trying to the music i want:smashin:

cheers
andy

have a wee look in the networking and nas section on here if you have any other questions, some ppl may be able to give you a better idea of what might work best for you....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom