PS3 Water Damage Help

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by thedude2011, Jan 31, 2009.

1. thedude2011

thedude2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :( had some friends round last night and this moring when i woke up my ps3 was switching itself on and off when i looked i found all water under the unit ......any one got any tips or how much this will cost to get fixed :rolleyes:
    i am so upset

2. Workshed

Workshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    No idea how much it would cost to repair, i would think they would probably tell you to get a new one!

If you're feeling brave you could take it apart, dry the main board carefully with a hair dryer, make sure the power supply and blu-ray drive are dry and put it back together again. Might be worth leaving it in bits in an airing cupboard or something for a day or two.

It does sound like the power supply is shorting out so you may find that its totally dead and needs replacing but unless you find any scorch marks I doubt you'd know for sure until its all dried out.

If after drying you find some residue left behind you should clean this off with some CPU heatsink cleaner/alcohol.

Having had water cooling go bad on a rather expensive graphics card (at the time!) I can certainly understand your panic/worry :)