• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 vs XBOX360 dual platform releases comparrison site?

Auditor

Banned
afternoon AVF crew,

I just bought a ps3 pretty much for one game (Killzone 2)

I've had my 360 for about a year now

Is there a site about which compares releases on both platforms?

Thanks in advance

Auditor

Auditor

Banned
This is your best bet.

Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Face-Off: Round Eleven Article - Page 1 // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

TBH though - Unless you had versions side by side, maybe if you;re lucky you can tell them apart.

Early PS3 ports were pretty poor, later ones such as BO paradise etc are more or less the same.

Cheers buddy will check it out now

to my eyes the PS3 seems sharper graphics wise tho

I have a good SD TV that displays 576P

The PS3 has recognised this and upscaled I think, defo looks sharper then my xbox

When I finally go full HD and get a new TV I'll be able to make a better opinion

thanks again for the link:thumbsup:

SparkShot

Prominent Member
Early PS3 ports were pretty poor, later ones such as BO paradise etc are more or less the same.

Burnout Paradise wasn't a port on the PS3 as it was the lead platform.

Ports have been much better though compared to the early ones.

catisfit

Prominent Member

There are plenty - nothing attracts pagehits like fanboy baiting :D

You should conduct your own comparisons using the three categories below:

Most important
- Do you play online, and if so, are you more likely to play against friends on a particular platform?
- Do you have a preference for one controller or the other?
- Do issues such as the noise of the system affect you in any way?

Secondary importance
- Does either platform have different included features, or exclusive DLC you might buy? If you want to buy the GTA4 DLC, or play in the FIFA Interactive World Cup, then that determines which platform you should go for.

Negligible importance
- Graphical comparisons. When there are differences, they are so small as to be very hard to spot. Even if you were to deliberately pick the "inferior" version of every crossplatform game, you wouldn't be missing out at all.

Now can we have this thread locked before it turns into yet another...? :D

oj0

Established Member
Not looking to stoke any fires but ...

A friend of mine had Fifa 09 for his PS3 and 360 and we started them both up and picked the same teams, setting etc. Saw it on the 360 and then changed source onto the PS3 and it looked far more grainy on the PS3 which suprised me. Only thoughts I had was that perhaps his TV settings were massively different but just something to think about ....

dannius

Prominent Member
So who thinks SFII looked better on the Mega Drive than the SNES?

Oh and who cares?

Honestly, it's horses for courses, just buy the game on the format you prefer playing on. The 360 and PS3 are so evenly matched you can't really go wrong these days, it's pointless trying to pick holes in minor differences.

theblacksheep

Established Member
So who thinks SFII looked better on the Mega Drive than the SNES?

Honestly, it's horses for courses... it's pointless trying to pick holes in minor differences.

The megadrive couldnt even display the right colours for SF2!

My rule of thumb is that if its EA, they have been lazy on the PS3 and the xbox version will look slightly better. Everything else has trade offs that sorta balance out.

Another thing that'll come into play later this year (with JRPGs) is how many disks the 360 version will come on.

I dont pay M$ an online tax, so its easy choice for me. :thumbsup:

runam0k

Prominent Member
All multiplat games score +.5 better on 360 because of all the bonus features they come with. I'm a very happy Live tax payer. :D

ricki1980

Established Member
afternoon AVF crew,

I just bought a ps3 pretty much for one game (Killzone 2)

I've had my 360 for about a year now

Thanks in advance

Auditor

Not just Kill Zone 2 mate. Don't forget Uncharted 2, God of War 3!

The comparison sites do tend to just focus on the graphics. To your 'average joe' the differences really will not be that great.
However if you have half a clue then they are really quite noticeable.
I loaded up the Fear 2 demo on my 360 and PS3 the other night and the lack of AA or QAA used on the PS3 was very apparent and also the drop in frame rates was a real bitch.
Some of the other cross platform releases however do not have such profound differences. In my experience it just seems to be lower resolution and blurrier textures on the PS3 with more profound aliasing.

Anyway it makes for some interesting reviewing. I find Gamespots image comparisons pretty good.

Xbox 360 vs. PlayStation 3 Graphics Comparison Round 4 - Features at GameSpot

stormy

Prominent Member

There seems to be 17 rounds or so on that face off. The PS3 seems to lose every single comparison, even when its lead platform. I never realised the PS3 was so technically inferior, seems to run lower resolutions in the comparisons, slower frame rates, dropped frames etc etc.. Its depressed me lol. Maybe I should have got a 360 after all (or avoid multi platform games).

:) Ah well.

Last edited:

runam0k

Prominent Member
There seems to be 17 rounds or so on that face off. The PS3 seems to lose every single comparison, even when its lead platform. I never realised the PS3 was so technically inferior, seems to run lower resolutions in the comparisons, slower frame rates, dropped frames etc etc.. Its depressed me lol. Maybe I should have got a 360 after all (or avoid multi platform games).

It's not that bad. They're talking tiny details. Play and enjoy the games on PS3.

SparkShot

Prominent Member

Just out of interest which ones did the ps3 "lose" when it was the lead platform?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom