Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PS3 Vs Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by ColdKilla, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    The EG guys were heavily criticised for being so bias during this years E3. They were swayed by Sony's hype once again. The PS3 is looking like a super machine, but until I see the final spec and final price I will remain sceptical as to how powerful/flexible it will actually be.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Sony are all about the hype. I'll reserve judgement on either console until I have it in my hands at home. Certainly, no comparison is warranted, until they can be running side by side. The PS£ architecture doesn't even exist yet, and ALL videos shown off at E3 were FMV running on PC architecture. So go figure! :rolleyes:

No doubt I will own all 3 next-gen consoles, but I personally won't get sucked in by the sony hype, not after the dramatic disappointment of the PS2, especially after all the sony hype before its release.

4. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about dissapointment, sure not quite up to the hype, but it beat everything else out, and Gran Turismo looked awesome.

5. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I was extremely dissapointed with the PS2 when i recieved it on pre-order. Very limited launch titles, and didn't improve much in first 6 months. Long loading screens when playing games. Wasn't my bag and imo didn't live up to hype. It was sold and xbox was purchased on release. One word: Halo

Saying that I will be holding off til next year before buying the next gen console. I am actually looking forward to seeing what sony have created in the PS3. Surely it must have the advantage on the 360 being newer technology. I guess time will tell. . .

blue :rolleyes:

6. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We have at least 12 months until Sony manage to get the PS3 into europe (judging by previous efforts). Can`t wait that long, so I`ll be getting a 360 for now. I`ll get a PS£ if the exclusive titles warrant it.

7. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought all three consoles on the first day! I was dissapointed whit sh*t like Time splitter deeming it inferior to what was on my pc. However though stuff liek metal gear and Gran turismo the mutts nutts.

Stuff Like Splinter Cell was the main reason for keeping the Xbox though. The last one had awesome graphics.

I sold the Gamecube first, then Sold the ps2. Kept the xbox but was a mistake selling the ps2 as it beats the pants of Xbox for the number of good titles.

Going to get the 360 and ps3 asap! :thumbsup:

MGS4 looks Awesome. Hard to belive it's not pre-render.

Will hold judgement on Revolution till I know whats on it.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    The last console I bought on first day was the DC. Still don't know whether I'll be cancelling my X360 pre-order nearer the time. Can't figure out whether I really need it right now. Still got so many unopened games...

9. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have a number of pc games unopened. Still getting a 50 inch dlp and a 32 inch lcd will invigorate my intersest in games.

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    IMHO we seem to get sony products about a year after Japan. Look at the PSP, they've already had it a year over there.

I would be frankly, startled, if we see the ps3 in europe before 2007.
    I personally can't wait that long, so will be enjoying the x360 for a good 15 months before we see the ps3! :D

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Wow, there's some big purchases there! I take it you're not married?! :D

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    As if anyone is going to be taken in by this shameless piece of PS3 propaganda!

The 360 and PS3 will be on a very similar level in terms of power from what we've seen so far. It will also be late 06 early 07 before the UK gets PS3, so that's a good year with the 360 having the market to itself over here.

13. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Married with 2 kids! Second one just born :smashin: . I downstyled my Rx-8 to a honda accord tourer though, so had to cheer myself up! ;)

Wife not amazingly happy with my purchases, but she tolerates (eventually) my flights of fancy. :rolleyes:

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    I don't even understand where Tom Bramwell is coming from in that Eurogamer piece, its just confused me. OK, there will be a difference between 1080i (Xbox 360) and 1080p (PS3), but to say 1080p is "significantly better" is stretching the truth. Plus 1080p displays aren't even freely available yet, and won't be widespread for years yet, so to state this as a case for the PS3 winning the next gen war is highly misleading.

And the way he brushes over the online side of things with a "Sony won't get it wrong twice" statement is fantasy. To even equal MS's effort would be miraculous, to better it - well there's just no evidence is there? Sony haven't even released a mission statement saying they're going to try and get the online side right.

To fill an article with claims about how the mass market will wait for the PS3 for improved graphics of the PS3 (which isn't even true anyway!) completely misses what the mass market goes for. Seriously, if the PS3 is released at anything more than £300, you've immediately lost a huge market straight off.

Baffling. And I've still yet to see any ingame PS3 footage. Until then we can all keep schtum.

15. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I've seen you on the EA UK BF2 games MonkeyBoy!

16. momomo

momomo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By the time we get 1080p as standard on affordable TVs in this country, you will be able to pick up PS3 at Car boot for about £50.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Congrats on your second kid! :smashin: Yep, they always come round in the end (as long as what you're asking for is even slightly reasonable!)

18. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, chuffed to bits. Easier and more difficult second time around. Easier in that we know the score in the basics, more difficult in that we have our first child to take care of as well.

Not sure what she'll make of both screens. It will pay dividends in the long run (for me) as she can watch sky on the LCD , abd I'm 360'ing on the large screen. :cool:

19. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I own a dc, ps2, gamecube and xbox and to be honest I like them all for the various game experiences I've had with them. I suspect the same will be true of the 360, PS3 and Revolution. I'll probably be a late buyer of the 360 though as I've still got so many games to play on my existing consoles. I think the 360 will probably end up being something like 60-80% as powerful as the ps3 and considering the headstart its got in the market place and the fact it will probably be half the price of the ps3 by the time the ps3 hits the market place I think the ps3 might struggle in the usa and europe. I think we can safely predict the 360 won't do amazingly well in japan. I really think the timing of the 360 seems excellent. The only thing that worries me about the 360 is it lacks a simple plug in and go approach. It seems to be so focused on internet play and connectivity which not everyone is bothered about. Many will just want a console that they plug in and play and nothing else but Microsoft don't seem to want to support such people or will only provide a second class service to them.

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I must say that I also own them all (well almost as I flogged my GC to my bro last week) and agree that i've enjoyed each console at different times and for different reasons.

To start with back in 1999 the DC was superb and I loved it! Games like VF3tb, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Power Stone 2 were all superb and it was an excellent introduction to 128 bit gaming!

I stayed away from the PS2 (I was a staunch Sega Fan and refused to admit their demise until the end) until my fave game game out on it (Pro Evo) and then naturally I had to buy it. I was generally unimpressed by the PS2 but a few gems (GT3, Pro Evo, Rez & VF4) kept me occupied. After all the hype though I was disapointed that it was no better than what i'd experienced with my Dreamcast, which made me even more upset that Sega had lost out to this machine.

Then I picked up a Game Cube cheap for about £45 with 5 games back in 2004. I quickly picked up the classics like Metroid Prime, MKDD, Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia etc. but this really became the console that the wife played on. She loved games like Harvest Moon & Animal Crossing and to be honest (even though I bought RE4 on it) I didn't play it much.

Then a bit later in 2004 I got an X-Box. Early in the X-Box's life there hadn't been many games on the machine that i'd wanted so I stayed away. As the PS2 had the best sim racer (GT3), the best footie game (PES3), the best fighter (VF4evo) and many other great titles I stuck with that. The catalyst to me getting the X-Box was again pro evo as the XB had an online version. Games like Forza also swung it for me and IMO the balance of power switched from Sony to MS with the release of PES4 (Best footie game) and Forza (Best racing Sim) on the X-Box.

So that's my experience, completely unbiased and just as it happened. The last year has seen me play on my X-Box almost exclusivly with the PS2 only getting used for Winning Eleven 9, the GC for a spot of RE4 and my DC just from time to time.

If I had to pick a winner it would the the X-Box for me basically for the following reasons :-

- The late games catalogue has been superb
    - X-Box Live is excellent and is head and shoulders above PS2 online (which I used to be on)
    - The hard drive, no memory cards needed, custom sound tracks etc.
    - The things you can do with a modded X-Box (emulators, video/music streaming, XBMC, games on HD etc.)

21. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Guess you'd best keep your Xbox then and not bother with a 360, no hard drive as standard, and no chipping it either, unless you never want to play online again!

I spent the evening at a mates last night playing Xbox! I was not impressed. He has a modded machine with loads of games on his drive, but so what? The cross platform games looked no different at all to their PS2 equivalents, and the supposedly mighty PGR2... What can I say except bland. I was seriously disappointed with it, the graphics were appalling for a flagship Xbox title and I was ready for some humble pie from what I'd heard about it.

I went home having had a great evening playing games, but feeling I had the best console for me; all the titles I want, and Gran Turismo walks all over PGR2, visually at least, I didn't have time to really get into the game play.

Far better than PGR2 was Burnout Revenge, and that's on PS2.

It's all personal preference I know, but PS2 does it for me, it may be getting on a bit (and I've had mine since launch day) but game wise it does it all and does it very well.

Anyway; Xbox360 Vs PS3? No idea. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out when PS3 arrives next March/April (in Japan anyway!) But the HD movie side of things is the winner for me on PS3, now that I have an HD display.

There's probably not a lot in it unless Sony have been keeping something up their sleeve, butI wouldn't bet against a big announcement from Sony arriving round about the time Xbox360 launches!

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    My would I not get a 360?? The brilliant Live service has been very well updated (where as Sony are sticking with their pathetic half hearted effort for the PS3) and my 360 will come with a 20gb Hard Drive. There will be a modding scene just as with the X-Box and i'm sure they will make a chip will have an on/off function. That said i'll probably keep my original X-Box as a media centre & to play emulators on etc and there's no real need to mod the 360 as it does pretty much everything i'd want out of the box now anyway.

If GT4 was even a remotely decent racing game then why does it sit gathering dust on my shelf where as both Forza & PGR2 still get loads of play. See I actually own both consoles and the games on each so I have no reason at all to be biased. If my PS2 was as good as my X-Box and had some games on it that I wished to play then I would play it. Sadly it doesn't and the only thing it's been used for this year is to play Winning Eleven 9 between August & October as I waited for PES5 on the X-Box.

Like I have said may times before, I used to love the PS2 and it had the best line up of games IMO if we look at the 2001-2003 period. Now though the X-Box gets all my play as there are now far more games on that that I want to play.

23. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    You can keep lying to yourself if you like. The only cross platforms game that look the same on xbox as they do on ps2 are either lazily done(GTA:SA) or made by EA. Does you 'mate' have either the Advanced scart or HD pack for his xbox? as this can dramitcally affect the picture.

PGR2 Vs GT4: kinda hard to do. GHT4 is a full on simulation racer and yes the graphics are great looking, but as it is also 2.5 years newer than PGR2 it really should be. But for playability PGR2 win hands down easily, especially on xbox live

24. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sigh.

yeah, I thought my post would be met with blinkered rubbish from xbox fanboys.

I won't bother in future, sorry to have troubled your rose tinted view of the world.

25. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    ...and in other news...

Source : http://www.computerandvideogames.com

SONY TO DITCH REGION ENCODING FOR PS3

Well that's the latest official word from down under, but it signals a big shift for Sony in the home console market

11:59 It looks like Sony may ditch region encoding for games on the PS3 if the latest word coming from down under is true and we've no reason to doubt it is, since Sony's Managing Director of Computer Entertainment Australia is the man spreading global games love.
    Speaking to Australian IT, Sony's Michael Ephraim said the Japanese giant would probably throw the existing policy out of the door because of the merging of international TV standards. "If you look at the fact that it will support high-definition TV, which will be a global standard, there's a good likelihood that it will be global region, as for example we've done with the PSP," said Ephraim.
    Sony has tussled with makers of mod chips before, which allow users to play games from any region on the PS2 and PSOne, but this new policy would signal a fairly big shift for the corporation in the next generation.
    However it's a very welcome one we say, as it already works a treat on PSP and means that impulsive holiday purchases in the US will be fine on PS3 when we bring em back to good ol' Blighty. Hurrah for globalisation we say.

Hurrah indeed

26. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

The ditching of region coding is more a next gen dvd thing that both the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD camps are touting. Copy protection (and internet shopping) will be so high that regoin coding will be obselete.

Of course copy protection on Blu-Ray will stop even fair use in my own home....

PS£ vs. 360...
    I just found an article from official PS Magazine that says Sony will not have an service similar to XBOX live..!

see this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2117341#post2117341

27. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Hmm, i think you have issues broadening your horizons. i currently own all 3 curent gen consoles each have their own strengths and weaknesses, unfortunately for the ps2 it is the one that, for me, is suffering the most. take Resi Evil 4 for example, given the choice which console has the best version of this game? nope NOT the ps2.

What part of my post was blinkered? was it not worded properly so that you could follow it?

From reading your other posts on this and the xbox forum i can see that the word fanboy must be very well used by yourself as you are clearly one for the ps2, not a bad thing, just thought you should know that there are other consoles out there that do a better job than your precious ps2

28. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You just can't accept that someone is happy with one console can you? That I'm not interested in the other consoles, not because - and I don't believe I have ever posted anything to this effect - that I believe PS2 to be more powerful than any other console, it isn't, but simply because it serves my gaming needs.

Why do you have such a problem with that? Just because you own all three, everyone else has to? We all have to do what you think is best?

What I have a problem with is people telling me what console I should have, that the one I own isn't worth owning and I should buy an Xbox because blah blah blah. Who the hell are you to give me advice? Am I telling you to sell your Xbox, to only play games on a PS2? Am I? Or am I just saying that having tried an Xbox out, I didn't come away thinking "I've got to have one of those!" Yeah, I reckon that's about it, I'm saying that having tried one out, it didn't do anything that was so amazing I feel the urge to buy one. It's as simple as that, how can you not understand that?

Do you need me to post that Xbox is more powerful? Ok, it is, so is the gamecube but I'm not interested in that either.

I posted my honest opinion, clearly you can't get your head round that because it doesn't fit with your own views, well that really is your problem.

Anyway, time for some lunch.

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Sorry, but there's only one fan boy posting here. Anyone that suggests that the PS2 produces better cross platform titles than the X-Box is clearly a PS2 fanboy. Like I said, I have both consoles, you do not, so why would I favour one over the other if there was no reason to??

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I have no problem with someone being happy with just one console. Read back over the trhead though and you will see that it is you that is slagging off the X-Box.

My post below was an honest assessment of how the main 3 brands have done. I clearly give the PS2 credit of being my fave console in the early days but the X-Box has since over taken the Sony console IMO with a great catalogue of recent games. If MS can continue this into the next generation (which they seem to be doing so far) then Sony will struggle to catch up I feel. I feel that is MS continue to have the best games catalogue in the next generation then they will eat into Sony's market share, which can only be a good thing as long as MS don't go on to become dominant instead.

This thread is about comparing how well you think the PS3 and 360 will do against each other. Peoples views and reasons for their views are therefore welcome on this subject. :smashin: