PS3 Vs Pionner BD-FD51 Vs ?

ahaydock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently I am using my PS3 for Blu-Rays and am wondering will splashing out on a stand alone looking towards the Pioneer BD-FD51 or other) give huge improvements in PQ?

I have had a search on here and cannot find the answer. It would seem Audio will be improved, however at the moment my Arcam cannot do HD Audio so that is not a major concern.

My TV currently only supports up to 1080i also.

You thoughts would be welcome...

TIA.

Currently I am using my PS3 for Blu-Rays and am wondering will splashing out on a stand alone looking towards the Pioneer BD-FD51 or other) give huge improvements in PQ?

I have had a search on here and cannot find the answer. It would seem Audio will be improved, however at the moment my Arcam cannot do HD Audio so that is not a major concern.

My TV currently only supports up to 1080i also.

You thoughts would be welcome...

TIA.

This thread might help. :thumbsup:

Also the 51 will allow you to decode the HD sound in the player and then connect to the Arcam via the direct analogue input. That way you can get the HD sound as well which you can not do now on your PS3. In short not only an improvement in picture but also in sound too.

Also the 51 will allow you to decode the HD sound in the player and then connect to the Arcam via the direct analogue input. That way you can get the HD sound as well which you can not do now on your PS3. In short not only an improvement in picture but also in sound too.

OK, I see so feed it into my Arcam's Analogue 5.1 i/ps?

Does the 51 play DVD-A and SACDs?

Yes you are correct with the analogue input

Thanks.

Are there any Blu-Ray players that do play DVD-A/SACD for reasonable money?

I have a PS3 and a Pioneer LX70A.

The LX70A beats the pants off the PS3 in almost every regard when it comes to audio and picture wise it is hands down better. Blacks, details and features get pulled out in exquisitely refined form. The PS3 is definitely left behind on these counts.

Not compared the 51 but I doubt it would be far worse than the LX70A.

The PS3 does have major support though through constant firmware upgrades and as a games machine an alternative use.

There are those on here that say that they cannot see a difference beyond the PS3. They are wrong. The PS3 is ok and on a smaller domestic set up you may not be that bothered to wish to get better results or possibly feel they are worth the spend. That is a completely different argument.

Last edited:
OK, I see so feed it into my Arcam's Analogue 5.1 i/ps?

Does the 51 play DVD-A and SACDs?
For SACD's it will play the CD layer. For DVD-A's though, it seems to have a bit of trouble with some, despite the fact that it should play the DVD-V bit without problem... I have a Diana Krall DVD-A that completely locks the player, and the video does weird stuff, the player says it's stopped, but continues to play the audio, then stops responding and the menu appears after a while but you still can't use it. Only way to stop is pull the plug or hold down the power button for 5 seconds...

So I can't recommend the 51 atm for DVD-A playback of even the video section. You will need a different solution for them. :(

In terms of DAC quality, I'm getting less impressed tbh now, my Arcam AVP does a much better job given a similar signal, i.e. PCM 2.0 or core DTS or normal DD. It's all a bit uncontrolled and a bit harsh at the top end. It is however quite an open sound with an HD source such as TrueHD or PCM, which can work with the right music, but it's not a quality analogue solution.

However as a relatively cheap stopgap, it does a job. :)

The chap on the Denon stand at the show said that although they do not have any dates for a Denon 3800 replacement, he said he would not be surprised if new players are announced this year and that he'd be there next year demoing a player with similar features to the high end Universal for a lot less money... ;)

Last edited:
Your only other option with the gear you have to get any significant improvements for sensible money would be to look at the Samsung players - maybe as a stop gap to those mentioned above by Ian - the BD-P1500 re-encodes HD Audio over optical to maximum bitrate DTS which combined with the quality of the Arcam will give an amazing sound boost to your system.... if SD DVD is important to you, the BD-P2500 is worth a look as it has an excellent upscaler built in, but stocks seem limited and given the silly price you can get the BD-P1500 for it's rather pricey by comparison!

Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The assistant at my local Currys says the Samsungs freeze a lot.

The assistant at my local Currys says the Samsungs freeze a lot.

"But not if used with this new Ultra-Monster HDMI cable???"

:devil::devil:

I would take no notice of any comments from the likes of Currys / Comet. They know nothing.

Thanks guys TBH I only have a few DVD-A/SACDs so am not too bothered about loosing this function.

Next question how does the Pioneer rate against the Panasonic Blu-Rays such as the BD55, BD35 and BD50?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer Panny TV so maybe able to get a deal with their Blu-Ray Players.

TIA...

Hi Kingfats :hiya:

Well PQ and Audio mainly. Will I still be able to get HD Audio via RCA with a Panny, like I can with the Pio?

Hi Kingfats :hiya:

Well PQ and Audio mainly. Will I still be able to get HD Audio via RCA with a Panny, like I can with the Pio?

PQ similiar Audio the same :) this was on my setup of course.
The 55 sends HD audio over the analogues but it's discontinued. :(

Is that on all of the Pannys comapre PQ and Audio the same to the Pioneer?

Do the cheaper Pannys not o/p HD Audio via the RCAs then?

TIA :thumbsup:

Is that on all of the Pannys comapre PQ and Audio the same to the Pioneer?

Do the cheaper Pannys not o/p HD Audio via the RCAs then?

TIA :thumbsup:

The Panasonics have the same PQ as do the Pioneer 51/71.
BD35 has no Multi-analogues.

OK thanks, so I guess I need to look at the 50 or 55 if I go the Panny route.

You didn't mention Audio - does that compare?

OK fair enough I guess its the same over HDMI then quality wise?

I would take no notice of any comments from the likes of Currys / Comet. They know nothing.
I know I only went to see his face when asking him if the Panny sent Bitstream or PCM. It worked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom