PS3 / Virgin Broadband

chui

Ex Member
Reaction score
Is it true that some wirless routers do not work on the Virgin Broadband network?

I am trying to get hold of a router but someone told me this the other day and now I'm not sure which to get so I can get on-line with my PS3

Any info would be great

So long as you buy a Cable router and not a DSL model then you'll be OK. I think that's possibly what they meant.

Sorry, I'm not the most technical person in the world....

Whats the difference?

One is for a standard broadband telephone connection (BT line) and one is for use with Cable networks like Virgin Media.

It will stipulate in the description if it is for ADSL or Cable. PC World for example have two different sections, one for each type if you need to reference which model is which?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/networking_homepage/?int=home_nav

Do you have a cable box? If so then thats your modem, you'll only need a Cable router which basically plugs into the modem then shares out the internet connection out to whatever you plug in to it.

There are two types of internet...Cable which uses fibre optic cable & is very good and there's ADSL which runs over your phone line but can be flaky. You need a modem for both but with cable you normally have cable TV so your set top box is the modem.

If you are with Virgin Media then you should have a Cable Modem already, connect this to a cable wireless router using a ethernet cable and you'll be ready to connect using wireless to any computer/PS3 in your home.

Not wanting to complicate matters but before you buy a router you should make sure whether you have cable or adsl - Virgin supplies both. Obviously you need to get the correct type of router for your type of connection.

Thanks guys

So I am right in thinking that if I have adsl connection I am buggered? I need a cable connection and a cable compatible router in order to link to PS3 and play on-line?

If you have a ADSL connection then buy a ADSL wireless router and it'll connect your PS3 to the internet. For a Cable connection buy a Cable router, both do the same job but for each specific type of connection. Both types of connection will get your PS3 online, you have to check which type it is you have at home.

Well,

I have checked and I have a ADSL router with a ADSL connection.

I plugged the wireless router in last night and tried to log onto http//192.168.1.1 address on the back of the router and it wouldn't connect.

I have been through the step by step guide and have noticed that when I run cmd / ping the server I have AUTOCONFIGURATION IP on and on the manual they do not show this on the cmd example screen.

I also lose all 4 of the packets, could this be my ethernet card not working??

Please see here ref point 23 http://safecom.cn/code/product/adsl/SWART2-54125/FAQ/setup-SWART2-54125.htm

Could this be my problem? If so how do I turn off?

Please help me :suicide:

For setting up the router did you connect it to the computer using a ethernet cable or did you try run the configuration using wifi?

I tried connecting it via ethernet cable as my PC hasn't got wireless.

Is the card shown as Connected in Control Panel/Network Connections?

Also did you power up the router first then the PC with the ethernet connection in place?

the card appears to be o.k (i.e no red cross through it)

I then right click the connection and hit "repair"

It tries to connect / renew my ip address but it comes up with "error in trying to renew your ip address"

I have tried all the different ways of power up with ethernet connected / not connected.

If you check the properties for the connection does it list Internet Protocol TCP/IP? Within here do you have the option checked for Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Automatically?

Yup, I have tried that too !

Do you think it could be anything to do with this "autoconfiguration ip" on the cmd screen.
The example i mentioned earlier (fig 23) doesn't seem to run this autoconfiguration ip cmd, it just state "ip address"

within the cmd have you tried a ipconfig /release followed by a ipconfig /renew

If you have not already done so it may be a good idea to press the reset button on the router to ensure it is at factory default.

When you complete step 17 do the three fields populate with data?

Within TCP/IP Properties (step 8) if you click Advanced does the card have DHCP enabled in the IP addresses area?

I'm at work now and going off memory from last night. I remember doing the ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew

Unsure of the other points as I'm not that technical.

I will try these tonight.

Thanks for your help so far sneeks. I appreciate it

What eventually solved the problem? Good to know it's all connected now :)

changed my ethernet card and mangaged to log onto http//192.168.1.1

Hey presto!

Thanks sneeks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom