• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 Video help

Andybtsn

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I'm currently using my PS3 to stream music, pictures and videos off my Laptop, of late I have started watching more videos in this way. But I have encountered a problem.

I had a whole load of AVI videos in which I converted to MPEG4 as the PS3 plays these? I used iDVDsoft to convert the relevant vids. I converted about a minute of one of the vids and tested it on the PS3, it streamed ok and worked fine. So I set out doing them all.

The vids finished converting and I put them in a folder named 'MPEG4' in my My Documents>Video folder. I then searched for media devices on my PS3 again to refresh it and went to search for my folder. Video>Lapto>Video>Folders>Users>Andy>Videos...but my MPEG4 folder doesn't show? Other MPEG2 vids show which I currently have and a lot of "unsupported data" (other AVI files) but not my MPEGS!

Any idea why this would occur? I tried moving the files directly to the Video folder but same problem, if they wern't supported it would give me an error but why would the PS3 just not display them at all? Especially as I tested it out before.

:(

Any advice?

Thanks

ahar

Established Member
What streaming software are you using? I find that with TVersity I somtimes need to tell it to manually refresh the media library and actually stop and restart it before it picks up new files (not that you should need to do that)

Andybtsn

Established Member
What streaming software are you using? I find that with TVersity I somtimes need to tell it to manually refresh the media library and actually stop and restart it before it picks up new files (not that you should need to do that)

TBH I'm not sure what I'm using streaming wise, the PS3 picks up my Laptop as being a Media Server so I can view pictures, listen to music etc from it. I only use iTunes as a player on my laptop so not sure what the PS3 is looing at.

Andybtsn

Established Member
Just realised it is Windows Media Player that I'm streaming from, it doesn't make sense how I played a MPEG4 before though.

Can I stream off iTunes?

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Just realised it is Windows Media Player that I'm streaming from, it doesn't make sense how I played a MPEG4 before though.

Can I stream off iTunes?

I'm pretty sure you can't.

The other alternatives to WMP 11 would be TVersity ( free ) and Twonky ( not free ). At the end of the day none of the solutions available at the moment are 100% perfect and fullproof. I use TVersity and it works OK for the most part but still has some issues.

ahar

Established Member
Using windows media player (WMP), mainly you'll be able to play anything on your PS3 that you can play through WMP though there seem to be some things that WMP can play that the PS3 can't and vice versa.

Depends on what format you are holding your iTunes files in, but generally WMP won't be able to play them - especially any that you have bought via itunes (iTunes plus is a different story - ignore for now) as Apple have 'locked' them using DRM.

To be able to play anything at all on you PS3 you'll need to either convert everything to a WMP friendly format including your iTunes music collection) or download a different media server programme that does transcoding (conversion on the fly to a PS3 friendly format) like TVersity (free) or Nero (not free, but more features).

If you go down this road you will find yourself in the dark world of codec packs (see my thread from earlier, can be frustrating) and you may want to look for a prog that will help remove the DRM stuff from your apple stuff ...

Mod Comment:
Posting of information or links to such that discuss how to get rid off DRM is not allowed on these forums.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom