PS3 Video 9 settings

kingbal

Novice Member
what output settings does everyone use when converting avi.s to mp4.

it seems to take ages to do a full film even at 480p.

Any suggestions/tips please post here:cool:

Jonstone

I converted a couple of avi's to mp4 and they wouldn't work so I thought I would try the other options.

Mpeg2 1080p option coded really quickly in comparison and worked with no problems and good quality although the filesize was larger

kingbal

Novice Member
cheers that is a lot quicker!

psikey

Distinguished Member
With the latest version you have AVC profiles specifically for 480p/720p/1080p and audio sync has been fixed

I find 480p but using a 2 or 3 MBPS bit rate (instead of 1) is great for normal SD type material while the 720p profile is fine for HD divx stuff.

Use the none synth versions.

Any AVC conversion takes a long time but is the best quality/size option.

Done a couple of Lost HD files & they converted perfectly.

Lord Jerec

I've been using the AVC 720p 3072kbps Stereo/160kbps to convert 700mb Divx movies, these take between 90 to 180 mins to finish depending on movie length but the finished product once played through the PS3 is great, its almost DVD quality, with some minor probs in the dark areas in the film, but on the whole great stuff.

Also, they average out at about 2 to 3 gig so make sure you have an external HDD to move them about.

I've upgraded mine to 160gig and will be sticking them my whole library on there.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
If you've got a dual core CPU don't forget to change the number of threads to 2 in the advanced settings somewhere (can't remember where exactly sorry), this will speed things up no end!

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
I found the 2-pass option works well for SD material did a better job than when using just the one pass but it did push the file size up a bit, a 700mb file went upto to 1.5GB using this method but the quality was a lot better.

Lord Jerec

If you've got a dual core CPU don't forget to change the number of threads to 2 in the advanced settings somewhere (can't remember where exactly sorry), this will speed things up no end!

Oh yeah, forgot about that, just done it and its halved the time it normally takes!

Nice One!

If you go to edit profile, then choose the second button and thee second tab you can see the Threads section.

But be warned, my PC is now running three steps behind what I'm doing, so don't do this and expect the PC to run well at the same time! :)

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Oh yeah, forgot about that, just done it and its halved the time it normally takes!

Nice One!

If you go to edit profile, then choose the second button and thee second tab you can see the Threads section.

But be warned, my PC is now running three steps behind what I'm doing, so don't do this and expect the PC to run well at the same time! :)

What level priority are you running in you might want to lower it if you plan on using the PC at the same time, it may take a bit longer to convert but you should still be able to use the Pc at a decent rate.

Solar

thanks kingbal
i was looking for a good free encoder for my ps3, i should have came to avforums first:D

fatfingers73

Quick question for you, if I upgrade the ram in my laptop from 512 to 1gb, will this make a lot of difference to my encoding speed?

Cheers. :)

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Quick question for you, if I upgrade the ram in my laptop from 512 to 1gb, will this make a lot of difference to my encoding speed?

Cheers. :)

It may help a little but it's more processing power that is needed. if your lucky enough to have a duel core CPU you can set Video 9 to use it which helps a lot.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
I've been using the AVC 720p 3072kbps Stereo/160kbps to convert 700mb Divx movies, these take between 90 to 180 mins to finish depending on movie length but the finished product once played through the PS3 is great, its almost DVD quality, with some minor probs in the dark areas in the film, but on the whole great stuff.

Also, they average out at about 2 to 3 gig so make sure you have an external HDD to move them about.

I've upgraded mine to 160gig and will be sticking them my whole library on there.

Don't need to use an external HDD, you can download a server program from the same guys who make Video 9, it sets up a network connection between your PC and your PS3 using the PS3 web browser i use it and it's great for moving big files across, I was going to get a Drive just for transferring stuff over but i don't need to now.

fatfingers73

It may help a little but it's more processing power that is needed. if your lucky enough to have a duel core CPU you can set Video 9 to use it which helps a lot.

It's this laptop, no dual core I'm afraid:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_Vaio_FS515E_VGN-FS515E/version.asp
I can get another 512 stick for about £20, so I might just uprage anyway, thanks for your help.

:smashin:

It's taking me about 1hr to convert a 350mb avi, this is at 480p avc I believe. Are there any setting I can change to speed this up?

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
It's this laptop, no dual core I'm afraid:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_Vaio_FS515E_VGN-FS515E/version.asp
I can get another 512 stick for about £20, so I might just uprage anyway, thanks for your help.

:smashin:

It's taking me about 1hr to convert a 350mb avi, this is at 480p avc I believe. Are there any setting I can change to speed this up?

not any that I know of, It takes me about 90mins to 2hours to do a 700mb file so your 1hr is about right.. you could try not doing a AVC but that will reduce the quality, AVC is the best quality but it does take longer so it's up to you what you would rather have.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom