ps3 upscaling......

oasisnut

Novice Member
so, i ordered my ps3 yesterday, but i was wondering about upscaling standard dvd's.
now i know that at the moment the ps3 will not upscale and there are *rumours* of a firmware update for this but, has anyone read any official word or seen any official statement from sony/playstation saying this WILL happen?
would it be worth dropping sony/playstation an email to get clarification?
this would be a big plus for me to be able to upscale my existing dvd collection.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I haven't seen anything official per say, but as part of all the pre launch stuff last year sony kept stating that the machine was the ultimate multimedia centre and could show everything upscaled to 1080p including dvd's.

They obviously decided to remove this feature for some reason or another but assuming it wasn't removed from a technical perspective my money is on being added very soon, especially as the 360 elite has it.

Jim_Fear

Novice Member
so, i ordered my ps3 yesterday, but i was wondering about upscaling standard dvd's.
now i know that at the moment the ps3 will not upscale and there are *rumours* of a firmware update for this but, has anyone read any official word or seen any official statement from sony/playstation saying this WILL happen?
this would be a big plus for me to be able to upscale my existing dvd collection.
Here's what I've read from the official Playstation forums. Upscaling will come in firmware update 2.0, this includes upscaling for all DVD's and old PS1/PS2 games as well as there being more codecs, browser updates and other improvements to the functionality, this is said to be ready around E3 (so June time). There is no official statement yet and I doubt you'll get any word out of Sony as their stance is "We do not comment on unannounced products" so anything out of them would be unlikely. I'd say we should expect a big udpate within the next month or two.

AJUK

Novice Member
To be honest i think the ps3 dvd playback is better than my upscaling dvd, its only a tevion but it has had decent reviews. :D

stevos

Distinguished Member
Ultimately upscaling on a dvdplayer is only worth it, if it is better than your tele's internal scaler.

Does anyone know why upscaling wasn't included at launch?

markmitt

Novice Member
Ultimately upscaling on a dvdplayer is only worth it, if it is better than your tele's internal scaler.

Does anyone know why upscaling wasn't included at launch?
Very true. But upscaling would certainly be worth it just for the PS1/PS2 games...

psikey

Distinguished Member
Totally agree on the upscalling comments.

I bought my Sony 1080i upscaller via HDMI but having seen the output from my PS3 in progressive 576p HDMI effectively letting the Bravia do the upscalling to the screens native 1366x768 its as good as if not better than my upscaller.

May be because there's less conversion going on.

My upscaller auto configured to 1080i so a DVD was upscalled to 1080i then the Bravia still had to downscale it to 1366x768.

I've since put my upscalling DVD to use 720p but still think the PS3 is just as good with 576p output. The Bravia must have a good scaller.

kinn

Anyone had any overscan issues with the system? I compared it to my HTPC and its defo chopping some of the edges off.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom