PS3 Upscaling Problems

djsmith74

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a Toshiba 42X3030 television with a PS3 (40Gb version) hooked up to it (via the usual HDMI connection). The PS3 has the latest firmware downloaded and yet the upscaling capabilities when viewing "normal" DVDs is pretty poor and the image quality is quite pixellated. I have viewed the same DVD using the same player on my brother's Pioneer Kuros and the quality is nothing short of outstanding so there is nothing wrong with the PS3. I am not expecting to achieve the image qualities of the Kuros but I was expecting decent images so I was wondering if there are some recommended settings within the PS3 upscaling options, or perhaps my television needs something set up somewhere!

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I have a Toshiba 42X3030 television with a PS3 (40Gb version) hooked up to it (via the usual HDMI connection). The PS3 has the latest firmware downloaded and yet the upscaling capabilities when viewing "normal" DVDs is pretty poor and the image quality is quite pixellated. I have viewed the same DVD using the same player on my brother's Pioneer Kuros and the quality is nothing short of outstanding so there is nothing wrong with the PS3. I am not expecting to achieve the image qualities of the Kuros but I was expecting decent images so I was wondering if there are some recommended settings within the PS3 upscaling options, or perhaps my television needs something set up somewhere!

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi :) djsmith74 and welcome to the forum.
The PS3 should be set to "Normal" but apart from the the player selecting the max resolution of your screen,there's not really much to change.
You've found out the PS3 is not at fault,as you've tested it on another TV :) so i would go with your TV set-up.
I would post here as well,for advice on TV settings. :smashin:
All the best.

djsmith74

Standard Member
Hello,

I have tried your recommended setting but cannot see any noticeable difference. I have even changed the Display Setting within the PS3 to output at a maximum resolution of 720p but without any difference in picture quality at all. I have been through all the settings and viewed a DVD each time I change something and there is no obvious difference in image quality. Perhaps I am expecting too much but I would have expected the picture quality to be on a par or better than a DVD player hooked up to a decent CRT television??. I do know that the PS3 hooked up to a Pioneer Kuros produces outstanding upscaling results so I would have expected something similar with my setup.
I am going to borrow my old man's cheap Toshiba DVD player that also upscales to see if there is any difference. For my information, can you recommend any "normal" DVD films that would give a decent upscaled image - so far I have been using War of the Worlds, Spiderman and Mr & Mrs Smith?

Thanks,

Darren

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I am going to borrow my old man's cheap Toshiba DVD player that also upscales to see if there is any difference. For my information, can you recommend any "normal" DVD films that would give a decent upscaled image - so far I have been using War of the Worlds, Spiderman and Mr & Mrs Smith?

Thanks,

Darren
Hi djsmith74. :)
Try the Toshiba on your TV and post back with your findings :smashin: War of the Worlds and Spiderman should be fine. :)
All the best.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom