Ps3 Upnp

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Tony Hoyle, May 3, 2007.

1. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    With so many saying they couldn't get upnp to work on the ps3 I did some tests - basically I created a upnp server which simply traced out what the PS3 was trying to do, what ports were being mapped, etc.. Tested it with azereus on Windows and it works fine, adding and deleting mappings as needed.

The PS3 internet connection test though doesn't recognise it. Looking at the trace it looks like it sees the device then ignores it, tries a few times then gives up.

Has anyone actually had upnp recognised on their router since 1.6? I'm wondering if it's broke completely..

2. smashie

smashie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    gotta say i think it's fully broken, i have tried every setting i can find on my wrt54gs router to sort the upnp feature out but i just cant get it working..

3. breadmaker6

breadmaker6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    I set up my new network yesterday.

BT Broadband/ Linksys WAG200G Wireless Router/ Dynamode 85 Homeplugs.

Tested it on wireless first - no UPNP and NAT3 :thumbsdow

But Homeplugs (Which are great by the way) UPNP Enabled and NAT2. :smashin:

Played RFOM last night Comms worked great.

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    That's strange as I'm using wireless with my Be Unlimited provided Speedtouch router. When I do the test it states UPnP is enabled and I have NAT 2.

5. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I spent some time on it today (shouldn't have been but it was annoying me).

Basically it can work but they've restricted it so that the upnp device must advertise exactly the same address as the internal gateway address that the ps3 has. That's bogus of course.. That'll be why it doesn't work over wireless for some but does over wired - if you're going over an extra gateway you can't fulfil the conditions.

I think it's also sending the wrong UUID in its initial request - it sends a request to the WANDevice using the uuid of the InternateGatewayDevice - this works if they're identical, as they are on many implementations, but if they're different the server bounces it as invalid.

So in summary if it works for you then great. If it doesn't there's probably nothing you can do... to make a router compatible would require configuring things that you simply can't change on a standard router configuration.