PS3 & TV Streams

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by phil_ossifer, Mar 2, 2013.

1. phil_ossifer

phil_ossifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

After a couple months debating the merits of the Roku LT against a Sony PS3 500Gb - I decided on the PS3 and now the beast sits underneath my telly.

My main reason for getting the PS3 was streaming TV ...
    However, after fiddling and exploring for a few days I feel rather deflated .... the PS3 can't stream anywhere near the
    number of channels found on the Roku.

I would have thought that Crackle, Vimeo, Hulu, UStream and CNN to name a few might have been available.

Am I doing something wrong... or have I just made a bad choice ? :mad:

2. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I bought a ps3 for the same reason. I went for the ps3 because of the on demand services from bbc itv 4 and 5. I then bought a sony smp-200 media player which I am pleased with and has many more channels than my ps3. To me the ps3 is better as the sony media player is missing channel 4 5 and itv on demand but the ps3 has them. The sony media player doeshave crackle and all the other channels but my only problem I have with it chops some of the sides off the picture like when watching bbc on demand only half the bbc name is showing in the top left corner and its all set up corretly. Reason I wanted ps3 was I watch lovefilm and at the time roku and wd live tv did not have it but I think roku might have it now.

My main problem was roku does not support youtube but wd does but wd does not have lovefilm. Xbox has just about them all but you need to pay £30 to £40 per year to use them which is wrong when others offer it free.

Now tv from sky is on roku and xbox but none of the others but its 15 quid a month after a month free then 3 months at half price.

Until the back handers stop and all services are available to all stystems then its hit and miss and you need to see what you can live without. Its wrong I know because if you bought a tv and accordind to the brand you bought would depend what channels you could watch everyone would be up in arms.

Internet streaming is a great concept but mis managed due to money. For me the ps3 is best and I would like it in another room so I am toying with buying another ps3 or buying a hdmi sender.

Keith

3. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    You kinda made the wrong choice insomuch as you chose the PS3 for streaming TV. If that was your primary requirement then the PS3 would not be in the running.

However, as a top-notch games console, it DOES include some decent on-demand services for free, but not the other way around.

4. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I disagree. My main reason for ps3 and Im more than happy with it, Im even considering getting another. Depends what channels you want. The quality is superb even on a 3mb connection

5. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Just goes to show how good the PS3 is.

6. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,627
    If you use a VPN you can get Hulu and other things working fine. I have Unblockus for Netflix and since changing I can get Hulu if I wanted I believe by signing into US account

7. DrP

DrP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @Keithhampson,

Please could you tell me how to get demand 5 on my ps3, I've been trying for ages but can't find it.

Many Thanks.

8. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It's not available as a stand-alone application yet - like iPlayer, et-all.

You could always try using the PS3 browser to get it, but I don't hold out much hope as the browser is basically hopeless at most things.