PS3 TV Issue

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AnotherDude, Feb 2, 2009.

1. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    basically from since i got my ps3 40gb from argos last year i've always had to do the following:

turn my ps3 on
    turn to HDMI2 on my tv
    it then recieves no signal
    i have to turn off ps3 via switch on the back then back on
    the ps3 then starts up

a friend of mine had a faulty 60gb model and asked me to take a look, i found that i didnt have to do anything like the above to get the picture to come on first time. (it was suffering from tempermental orange and red lights)

i have tried all 3 of my hdmi sockets all the same problem, tried changing ps3 settings to no avail.

tv model: Samsung LE32R87BDX

i posted a while back on the official playstation forums and was told it was something to do with the handshake between the ps3 and my tv, but im not so sure now

heres a video if anyone doesn't understand what i'm saying.

YouTube - PS3 Problem

2. Alphathon

Alphathon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have two questions regarding this. First, what happens if you don't turn on your PS3 first (like if you just go [TV on] > [HDMI 2] > [PS3 on]). Second, when you tried your friends PS3 did you do so on your own TV or his?

If you tried it the way I suggested and it didn't work, and you tried your mate's PS3 on your TV and it behaved 'proprerly' I would say it's definitelly something wrong with your PS3, and it is likelly to be a HDCP handshaking issue (it causes most problems of this nature).

I notice that your TV is only 720p, so you could easily use component instead of HDMI and get the same resolution (akthough you'd need a separate sound connection and DVD upscaling would be disabled)

Just out of interest does it do the same over component, composite or s-video, because if it does then it's not a HDCP handshaking issue as these connections don't have HDCP, and it could be something more serious. If it works fine over these though that doesn't rule anything out.

Have you looked into the settings on the TV?

Still, if changing the settings on the PS3 doesn't help and the other PS3 worked on that TV I don't see there being a workaround.

3. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    the 60gb was tested on my tv yes, and the tv is 1080i.

i've tried just setting the ps3 to accept 720p via hdmi with the same problem again.

my tv doesn't allow me to switch to HDMI first as theres no device there

it just go's like this:

Ps3 off Ext2>component>dtv>analogue>ext1>ext2

Ps3 on Ext2>component>HDMI>dtv>analogue>ext1>ext2

the component however does show up if i have something plugged in but not switched on.

i've tried before with the standard video cables and it was fine which shown up as AV or ext1 or ext2 depending where i plugged it in.

i've been thinking about it for a while to be honest on getting a component cable, but my wii is on that.

4. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    I'm no expert but it certainly looks like a handshaking issue. Handshaking is something to do with the ps3 and tv exchanging a code or sort of password that allows the image to be displayed on the tv (I think its mostly a copyright protection thing). Some people get it and then it goes,and for some it's a fault with the tv that needs an engineer to fix it.

From what I remember it doesn't tend to be the ps3 at fault.

You might get the same effect as your method by turning the ps3 on as normal but then removing the HDMI lead and re-plugging it in (to sort of reset the handshaking process).

I would do two things first:

1. Check you can connect to the tv and be able to switch the ps3 on and off normally: As Alphathon suggests disconnect the HDMI from tv and ps3 and connect using the included composite lead, re-start the ps3 but reset the display output to default by holding down the ps button on the console until you hear three beeps.

Hopefully you will now be connected to the tv and it should work everytime you power off and back on (as normal) Which is good as that's what it should do

2. Next- is the HDMI lead faulty? check another one or plug in another device with the same lead. (faulty HDMI leads are more common than people think). This will also give you the chance to re-set up your HDMI connection from the ps3 menu which might help also.

If you go through all of the above and the ps is ok, the lead ok and you still can't connect normally, then

3. Try disconnecting and re-connecting the hdmi lead while the ps3 is off, then try it with the ps3 on.

4. Again as suggested try a combination of turning the tv on first then the ps3 to see if that clears it.

If none of this seems to work if your tv is still in warranty I would get in contact with the vendor or even the manufacturer as the relevent board in your telly might need re-setting or replacing. If it's out of warranty I would have thought that the manufacturer should still be obliged to help you.

There might be other tricks ou can try that I don't know of

Basically you will damage the ps3 eventually if you switch it off and back on at the back when it's already on (i.e. not powered down properly) so obviously you need to sort this.

p.s. Another way to see if it's the ps3 is to take it round your mates house and try it in his hd tv via HDMI. It should work as normal, but if not, you know it's the ps3 or the lead thats the problem :)

5. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    i'm gonna go buy another hdmi cable tomorrow

i've used this one before on a upscaling dvd player without any issues though, hopefully it is a cable issue

6. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    You could also check any hdmi control features your tv has, turn them off - not sure if they would cause this sort of problem but worth a try...

7. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    i forgot to mention that when i recieve the no signal message, the ps3 doesnt respond at all power button does not work, eject does so the only option is to turn off at the switch at the back.

hdmi cable is a regular cable one no brand etc, just gold plated connection

8. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    I would reccomend you try your ps3 on another telly then to check it's not the ps3. If you still have problems you could try a system re-set (don't forget to back up data though). Failing that if it's the ps3 you need to contact sony and maybe look into them replacing the ps3 for you.

Most 'handshaking' threads normally seem to end with the tv being at fault or the cable or it's an intermittent / temporary fault that cures itself over time. But I've not heard of the ps3 locking up as a result of it??

Did you try any of the ideas I put foreword before? what were the results?

9. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    its the tv

bah, looks like im gonna have to go component or buy a new tv

does component still offer me the same quality vs hdmi as im only doing 1080i at max?

10. GizmoTheMogwai

GizmoTheMogwai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't think 15 seconds of nuisance is worth a new telly :D

I have a extremely similar tv by the way.

11. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    An engineer should be able to sort the telly. Even if it's out of warranty I would say it's a fault not 'wear and tear' so you should be entitled to a fix by the manufacturer.

I don't know all the ins and outs but component wont give you 1080i, I think it's something like 540 (might be wrong though)

12. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    from what i've read through component i'll lose dvd upscaling and blu-ray limited to 1080i, all the rest will be same from game to game etc

could a switchbox possibly help in anyway?

13. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think it's something to do with the Samsung's HDMI ports only being active if there is a signal going to them. This would cause a problem with handshakes on some items.

14. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

i was thinking something similar which would be the reason why i can't select my hdmi first

im in need of a new tv anyway might just try sell this one

15. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've never personally had a problem with handshake issues on TVs but i know plenty of people who have. Both Sony LCDs that i've had have been no bother to set up with multiple HD devices.

It might be worth contacting Samsung's customer support or getting in touch with the supplier of your set if it is still under warranty.

I wouldn't say that getting a new TV is absolutely necessary.

16. AnotherDude

AnotherDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    tv was bought october 07 how many years warranty do samsung offer?

17. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It would depend more upon the company you bought the TV from in that case. Some offer 5 year warranty's others don't. Check your receipt paperwork or contact the supplier :)