PS3 trophies maybe coming in June

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Posted on the CVG website..

New rumours about PlayStation 3 Achievements are flying around, with one site speculating that a trophy system will launch as early as next month.

According to this PSU report, 2D trophies located on the PS3's XMB may launch this June with firmware version 2.4 (which should also introduce in-game XMB access). These trophies are reportedly different to the 3D ones set to feature in Home later this year.

Another report over on Kotaku substantiates the claim somewhat. It points to a Sony fact sheet about upcoming PSN title PixelJunk Eden, which shows that one of the game's "key features" will be "Trophy Support", although it's unclear exactly what this is.

will have to see how this goes if it does indeed end up in the 2.4 update, but it sounds interesting enough. :)

iddqd

Novice Member
Yea, there was even more proof of this on the website for the upcoming PixelJunk Eden game. It mentioned the game was updated with Trophy support.

Looking forward to them if it's true, always liked the concept of Achievements, gets you extra playtime out of the game.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Yea, there was even more proof of this on the website for the upcoming PixelJunk Eden game. It mentioned the game was updated with Trophy support.

Looking forward to them if it's true, always liked the concept of Achievements, gets you extra playtime out of the game.
Yeah same here, the one in thing in home that looked pretty decent was the trophie room, this sounds like the first stage for it so lets hope it does end up in the 2.4 update in june.

Beezlebozo

Standard Member
I really can't see trophies coming anywhere near 360 achievements, are we really going to delve through endless lists of trophies, just to see what achievements we've all got?. Microsofts gamerscore system works because it gives an instant overview of a players relative dedication to gaming, ie. under 10,000 casual, 10-30,000 moderate gamer and 30,000+ hardcore, it's not an exact science but as a general guide it works.

The big issue with gamerscore is it's encouragement of brand loyalty, I walked away from 17,000 achievement points when I switched to my PS3 and it was quite a hard thing to do, I imagine it will be even harder the more gamerpoints you have. I really don't see trophies encouraging the same loyalty.

The other thing with gamerscore is it's a fixed 1,000 points for each game, which again forces a certain level of dedication, as a moderate gamer I never liked to leave a game before getting over 500-600 points and obviously hardcore gamers wouldn't walk away with less than 1000. The question is, will trophies be simply random achievements with no fixed limits and therefore not giving a true measurement of how much you've put into a game?.

Basically Sony need to create a points based system, even if it's 10 points per trophy with 100 trophies per game, because as it stands there's nothing to stop me jumping back to Xbox in the future, but how many Xbox users will leave Microsoft in the future, when they have 100,000+ gamerscores?.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Microsofts gamerscore system works because it gives an instant overview of a players relative dedication to gaming, ie. under 10,000 casual, 10-30,000 moderate gamer and 30,000+ hardcore, it's not an exact science but as a general guide it works.
Sorry but got do disagree with you there. In practice the Gamer Points system has lead to widespread boosting, game saving and bastardising ranked matches to abuse the game score system. The scores mean very little now, IMHO. Also if you only play one or two games a lot, such as Halo 3 or GoW you are not going to gain very big scores, but are these people any less dedicated to gaming?

coluigi

Novice Member
I believe the trophy system is less about earning trophies for minor 'achievements' and more for greater accomplishments.

As such a game would probably only have a few trophies associated with it. Take Uncharted for example - you may get different trophies for each difficulty you finish it on.

These trophies can be displayed and then others can see your 'Crushing Difficulty Uncharted Trophy' on display. As the results are not decimated into an actual score or broken into smaller achievements it does differ from Microsofts scheme and people will decide for themselves what they like/dislike about both schemes.

Personally, I think there's something nice about this system as certain trophies will no doubt be elusive and hard to obtain - making the owner proud to show them off.

Of course, therein lies a lot of speculation and everything is subject to change.

Jonstone

I have the opposite view, if I am still enjoying a game I will keep playing it, the idea of trying to squeeze every last drop out of a game that I have long since got bored of just to gain a certain achievement or trophy doesn't appeal, but I may well be in a minority of one

Beezlebozo

Standard Member
Sorry but got do disagree with you there. In practice the Gamer Points system has lead to widespread boosting, game saving and bastardising ranked matches to abuse the game score system. The scores mean very little now, IMHO. Also if you only play one or two games alot, such as Halo 3 or GoW you are not going to gain very big scores, but are these people any less dedicated to gaming?
As I say it's not an exact science, but a general measurement of gaming, when I was checking people I'd played against, or people who'd sent friends requests, I did tend to look for people with similar gamerpoints to myself, as well as checking how many games they had, so for example someone with 1,000 points would either only have a few games, or not put in the same hours as me.

iddqd

Novice Member
As I say it's not an exact science, but a general measurement of gaming, when I was checking people I'd played against, or people who'd sent friends requests, I did tend to look for people with similar gamerpoints to myself, as well as checking how many games they had, so for example someone with 1,000 points would either only have a few games, or not put in the same hours as me.
Or they could have 10 games or 20 games, Gamerscore is broken, it doesn't mean anything, it has no bearing on a players skill or gaming behaviour, it's just another incentive for the point hungry players to pick up any piece of shovelware that gets released. Avatar - The Last Airbender isn't one of the most rented titles for nothing :)

Tigerblade

I have the opposite view, if I am still enjoying a game I will keep playing it, the idea of trying to squeeze every last drop out of a game that I have long since got bored of just to gain a certain achievement or trophy doesn't appeal, but I may well be in a minority of one
Not at all, I totally agree. Achievements/trophies/whatever are just another form of trying to get your e-penis that little bit bigger. Does squeezing every last second of a game you are now bored of enjoyment? Not in my book and games are supposed to be entertainment....

I got into the whole 'Look at my MK Wii score' thang at first but it got to the point where I wasn't playing the game for fun and to the point I was getting severly ****** off if I lost points.....and that isn't what it's about.

Most will be all over this but it creates an ugly obsession IMHO

The bigger news is the ingame XMB update is around the corner!! Hoo bloody ray!!!

tomo28

do you think we will get trophies from what we have already done, or will we have to do it all over again?

catisfit

Novice Member
hope it enables u to see who is online and send invites and see what ur friends status is
do you think we will get trophies from what we have already done, or will we have to do it all over again?
Link to the in game XMB thread.

- Access your XMB chat features from any game
- 2D trophies from the XMB where 70 of current titles will support them straight away

onkeh

Novice Member
The other thing with gamerscore is it's a fixed 1,000 points for each game, which again forces a certain level of dedication, as a moderate gamer I never liked to leave a game before getting over 500-600 points and obviously hardcore gamers wouldn't walk away with less than 1000. The question is, will trophies be simply random achievements with no fixed limits and therefore not giving a true measurement of how much you've put into a game?.
It doesn't mean anything, some games give their achievement points away like candy, where as some games will take dozens of hours (100,000 zombies, anyone? :rolleyes:). A hard game played very well, or a very easy game played for an hour, the gamerscore is the same.