PS3 to Sony DG910 Amp - why can't I change audio settings on my amp?

grahamlucas

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a PS3 connected via HDMI to a Sony STR-DG910 AV Amp. For some reason the audio from the PS3 is always in a surround format despite the source material. This is annoying when it comes to playing back stereo recordings from the PS3 as it's impossible to change the audio settings on the amp to Dolby PLIIx or stereo for instance.

I've tried connecting via optical cable instead and this works as I'd expect - the surround processing on the amp only kicks in when a surround format is playing on the PS3 (such as Dolby 5.1 or DTS from a DVD, BD or game) and I can change the audio mode on the amp for non-surround material.

So, any ideas why the PS3 is constantly sending surround material via HDMI and anything I can do to stop it?

Thanks, Graham.

I had a PS3 and STR-GD910 connecting through HDMI. However, when I watch DVD movies, there is only has music but all the people conversion sound cannot hear.

If I directly connect the PS3 to my Samsung LN-5265 through the HDMI cable and setup the PS3 with Linear PCM 2 ch, then I can hear the music and conversion for the DVD movie.

Does anyone know is something that I need to setup on the PS3 audio setting?

So, any ideas why the PS3 is constantly sending surround material via HDMI and anything I can do to stop it?

Thanks, Graham.

I have the PS3 and also the Sony DG910 amp. In order to get ProLogic sound for stereo music, you need to set the HDMI sound options on the PS3 to manual and then disable all 5.1 and 7.1 PCM options! Note: I was initially confused by the PS3, the list of sound options scroll much further down to options which cannot be seen on the initial screen. There are lots of 5.1 and 7.1 options if you scroll further down the list and these need to be switched off.

To be honest, I found this a pain to do when listening to stereo music, so instead, I use optical for stereo music (Mixed to ProLogic11 by DG910) and HDMI for games, DVD's and Bluerays.

I believe the general problem lies with the PS3. It naturally outputs stereo music as mutichannel PCM unless it is told that these formats are not supported.

I think my problem is a little bit different. When I watch "Rush Hour 3" and "Incredible", I can hear the background music but not the conversation from people.

At first, I think the DG910 amp has problem, then I directly hooked up the PS3 to the Samsung LCD. I also disable all 5.1 and 7.1 options and finally I can hear the movie background music and people conversion. Then I rehooked up the PS3 to DG910, but it still have the same problem that only has background music but no sound when people talked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom