PS3 to ONKYO TX-SR605 HDMI issues?

Mikehels2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Help please. I have the Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver with a dvd player connected via HDMI and a PS3 also via HDMI. I have a 5.1 speaker set-up.
If watching a dvd on the dvd player, the onkyo displays the relevant Dolby digital/DTS sound format on its display.
However on the PS3, even with discs which offer both DD or DTS it makes no noticeable difference and the ONKYO dislays 'AUX Multich'. Pressing the 'display' button reveals 'MCH PCM 5.1'. Blu Rays also don't differentiate

Am I getting the best sound from the set-up? Why doesn't it show if it is DD or DTS etc? Help!

Common question.

The PS3 does the decoding internally then sends the multi-channel output to the amp so the amp will never say anything other than what you are seeing.

Your DVD player streams the sound off the disk and sends it to the amp to be decoded hence the amp displays the format it is decoding.

With the equipment you have, yes, you are getting the best sound you could.

You won't get the codec displayed on the front as the PS3 is doing the decoding and sending the signal out as LPCM. If the audio is sent out as bitstream (raw data) the amp will decode the signal and display DD5.1/DTS. I wouldn't worry about it, it's only a display! As long as the sound is okay....

Thanks Mark for your quick help. I spent a while hunting the forums but couldn't find my answer. My tv is a 1080p display but my dvd player only outputs up to 1080i hence why I am experimenting with dvd's on my ps3. Not decided which is better sound if any difference. DVD is a sony DVD/Hard drive recorder RDRHXD860. Does sound quieter from the ps3

i find the ps3 pretty poor when decoding standard digital audio and sending it as pcm to my amp, it sounded very flat, i found setting the ps3 to output bitstream over over hdmi and letting the amp do the decoding sounded much better and the audio sounded much better. So for dvds i set to bitstream and bluray i set to pcm.

Can I just jump in here...

Does this mean you have to change the settings in the PS3's menu each time you swap DVD / Blu-Ray discs?

(Haven't had my PS3 that long... :D)

Can I just jump in here...

Does this mean you have to change the settings in the PS3's menu each time you swap DVD / Blu-Ray discs?

(Haven't had my PS3 that long... :D)

yes, but it only takes a few seconds to change, i also think you can change it on the fly using the menu that pops up if you press select on your ps3 remote or controller when playing a movie.

You can leave it as pcm if you wish and are happy with the sound you get, but to my ears the dvd audio sounded flat and not as good as when i let my amp decode the audio. However if you have no interest in HD audio codecs such as dtsma/dolby true hd or your amp cant receive multichannel pcm over hdmi and are just using optical for audio then just leave it at bitstream all the time.

...However if you have no interest in HD audio codecs such as dtsma/dolby true hd or your amp cant receive multichannel pcm over hdmi and are just using optical for audio then just leave it at bitstream all the time...

Au contraire! ;)

I am just in the process of deciding which new amp to buy so this is useful info.

Thanks!

yes, but it only takes a few seconds to change, i also think you can change it on the fly using the menu that pops up if you press select on your ps3 remote or controller when playing a movie.

You can leave it as pcm if you wish and are happy with the sound you get, but to my ears the dvd audio sounded flat and not as good as when i let my amp decode the audio. However if you have no interest in HD audio codecs such as dtsma/dolby true hd or your amp cant receive multichannel pcm over hdmi and are just using optical for audio then just leave it at bitstream all the time.

Yep fully agree with that, I leave mine in bitstream and only change it over "on the fly " when wathcing Blu ray with DolbyTrue HD or DTS MA soundtracks. I find bitstream on standard DVDs outperforms LPCM by a distance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom