PS3 to kick-start Blu-Ray? They haven't even started production yet!

Oakleyspatz

Found this interesting article about Blu-Ray in general and PS3 specifically. More to the point, with just three months until launch, the PS3 hasn't even commenced production yet in Japan.
This begs the question of whether there is enough time to be sure the PS3 will be free from bugs and if it isn't, how on earth will they have time to correct them?
See: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/08/sony_we_havent.html#more

mr_yogi

How good is this info?

It was leaked last month that ASUS had recieved the 200K kits to start production of the PS3, plus I have read that Sony will be building PS3's as well. I have also read that there are finished PS3s 'out in the wild' whatever that means ;)

astirling

mr_yogi said:
How good is this info?

It was leaked last month that ASUS had recieved the 200K kits to start production of the PS3, plus I have read that Sony will be building PS3's as well. I have also read that there are finished PS3s 'out in the wild' whatever that means ;)
It's straight from the horses mouth so I reckon it's pretty good.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=144796

So not much prospect of waking up with a PS3 delivered fresh from Santa's bulging sack this Christmas morning then, but Hirai then went to admit that Sony hasn't begun making the units themselves yet, although production is apparently, just about to kick off. "We haven't started manufacturing yet. Some of our ops guys were actually just in China, and also in Japan just reviewing the [production] lines and everything else. But they are, again, preparing as we speak to get the manufacturing going. We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, "As of this day we're going to start manufacturing.".

ahin4114

Novice Member
I can understand them not wanting to commence manufacturing too early as there are still OS changes beng made, but I hope they don't leave it too late. Cost aside, there's still going to be a considerable amount of interest in this console and they're going to be hard pushed to fulfil all the pre-orders if they don't start building boxes soon.

rooster-x

Novice Member
Looks like PS3's could be fetching a premium price on Ebay then, I wonder how many people will order two, one for themselves and one to sell :devil: Might be hard to pick up a cheap BD player for the next 9 - 12 Months then.

Rooster-X

R

recruit

Do you guys think the launch of the PS3 will see shortages of supply like what happend to the XBOX 360 last year, as i am tempted to pre order one but will that secure a unit or not ?

astirling

recruit said:
Do you guys think the launch of the PS3 will see shortages of supply like what happend to the XBOX 360 last year, as i am tempted to pre order one but will that secure a unit or not ?
I can absolutely guarantee that there will be shortages on a similar scale. From the same interview as I linked to above............................

"Quizzed on launch plans for the console, Hirai began by re-stating Sony's position that there would be two million units worldwide within a calendar year of launch, but on the more thorny issue of allocations per major territory he added, "Since we're going with three territories, we haven't really come up with an allocation just yet. But even if you do the simple math you're talking about less than 700,000 units per territory, per major territory, between launch and the end of the year. So even if there was some fluctuation - you give Japan more, you give the US more, what have you - you're going to end up with some shortages."

Hirai then added, "Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very much of a challenge to be able to meet every single unit demand that's out there in the market. That's just a logistical impossibility. Unless we suddenly say, "Well we want to wait until June of next year to launch because we want to stockpile product," I don't think that's the approach we want to take."

Evil Engineer

Novice Member
rooster-x said:
Looks like PS3's could be fetching a premium price on Ebay then, I wonder how many people will order two, one for themselves and one to sell :devil: Might be hard to pick up a cheap BD player for the next 9 - 12 Months then.

Rooster-X
I think it will be quite difficult to order more than one.

Expect to pay a large deposit and have to provide full address details so they can try and ensure one console per household.

So unless your gran suddenly decides to put her name down.......:devil:

nehalem

Novice Member
rooster-x said:

Rooster-X

I think Sony are running an offical pre-order system £150 secures your console. It will hopefully avoid *some* opportunist people putting £5 deposit at 5 shops and getting 5 consoles onto ebay on the first day of sale.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381745

R

recruit

astirling said:
I can absolutely guarantee that there will be shortages on a similar scale. From the same interview as I linked to above............................

"Quizzed on launch plans for the console, Hirai began by re-stating Sony's position that there would be two million units worldwide within a calendar year of launch, but on the more thorny issue of allocations per major territory he added, "Since we're going with three territories, we haven't really come up with an allocation just yet. But even if you do the simple math you're talking about less than 700,000 units per territory, per major territory, between launch and the end of the year. So even if there was some fluctuation - you give Japan more, you give the US more, what have you - you're going to end up with some shortages."

Hirai then added, "Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very much of a challenge to be able to meet every single unit demand that's out there in the market. That's just a logistical impossibility. Unless we suddenly say, "Well we want to wait until June of next year to launch because we want to stockpile product," I don't think that's the approach we want to take."
Cheers :thumbsup: I will put a deposit down just to be on the safe side :smashin:

mattym

Banned
i dont see why people are surprised at shortages, has any console launched and not been short?

R

recruit

mattym said:
i dont see why people are surprised at shortages, has any console launched and not been short?
In the past most console launches were staggered but it seems that the latest generations are seeing worldwide launches so the importing market does not really seem worth it now :( i used to either get US or Jap versions but there is no point and that is why there is mass shortages..

ahin4114

Novice Member
I think the whole worldwide launch is just a case of one-upmanship now. None of the manufacturer wants to be seen to have had one put over them by MS. you'd have thought that they would have looked at the 360 debacle and gone 'See guys, that is precisely why we don't do worldwide launches', but no, they are all saying MS did it, and if we can do it better it's gonna be great PR. Of course the people that suffer are we end users, having to play guessing games as to whether we're gonna get our kit.

astirling

I don't think they can afford to give Microsoft another unchallenged Christmas in any of their territories. They absolutely must launch worldwide. If they were able to launch last Spring as they had hoped then I believe they would have staggered their launch. The fact that it's delayed means they simply do not have any choice.

Evil Engineer

Novice Member
Worldwide launches are an overdue recognition that the European market is second only to the US and is more important (ie. worth more) than Japan. But Japanesse console manufacturers can't be seen to leave the home market to last.

I'm just happy that Europe isn't treated as the "Ugly Adopted Ginger Child" anymore.

Nic Rhodes

Don't forget that one of the key components of PS3, namely the HDMI 1.3 chip is still not in production.

R

recruit

I do hope that the PS3 gets released on time but if they are relying on HDMI 1.3 to be ready and it is not then maybe it could be put back again :( i would certainly not use it though as a standalone player for BD i just think that it will be a great games machine :thumbsup:

Nic Rhodes

astirling said:
Are you certain of this? If that's true, then it's "squeaky bum time" for Sony.

Yes the manufacturer says october.....and they will start :rolleyes: That is why Sony talk about 2m units in the first year, that is for all territories and includes christmas!! It is NOT launch numbes.

Nic Rhodes

well that is good new for PS3. The HDMI 1.3 chip supply is accurate though.

degsmurr

Novice Member
Er............hype.......methinks.......HIAB.

Degs

Nic Rhodes

The SiI 9134 is currently sampling to customers with production scheduled for October

from your article

richard plumb

astirling said:
Sony's president has said very very clearly that it hasn't.

Sony also mentioned that the president was wrong on the shipment figures.

Anyway, its likely they are stockpiling components now, and will start assembly soon. thats why they'll be able to do 2 million for launch, 2 more million before the year end, but only 2 more million in the 3 months after that (stock will be used up so they'll be supply constrained by components)

Xbox 360 started production approximately 60 days before launch, so PS3 still has some leeway.

astirling

richard plumb said:
Sony also mentioned that the president was wrong on the shipment figures.

Anyway, its likely they are stockpiling components now, and will start assembly soon. thats why they'll be able to do 2 million for launch, 2 more million before the year end, but only 2 more million in the 3 months after that (stock will be used up so they'll be supply constrained by components)

Xbox 360 started production approximately 60 days before launch, so PS3 still has some leeway.

lol. don't know why we're discussing this. It launched last Spring remember?

No way in hell will the PS3 have 4 million units by the years end.

richard plumb

astirling said:
lol. don't know why we're discussing this. It launched last Spring remember?

No way in hell will the PS3 have 4 million units by the years end.

ok - your argument is way more compelling than mine. You win.