PS3 to get ITV Player

nstokes

seems ps3 is to get the itv player on it soon.
ITV Player heading for the PS3

for all those behind a firewall:-

"It would appear that Sony and ITV are in the middle of negotiations which could see the ITV Player being added to the Playstation 3.

According to a report in the Telegraph, ITV is looking at several platforms, including the PS3.

However there are restrictions in place with other platforms, which makes the less restricted PS3 the games system of choice for the ITV Player.

This is where the BBC is able to capitalise on other platforms such as the Wii.

Nintendo will not allow advertising and so this will not suit the ITV Player is it is laden with advertising.

Even the Xbox 360 does not allow free content, so this means that both the BBC iPlayer and the ITV Player can forget the Xbox."

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Can't you already watch it using the browser? I've never tried, so I'm just asking.

the site loads perfectly fine, it's when you try and play a program it says you dont have the rights to it, so it seems some kind of checking is going on that it's not able to do on the PS3.

D

Deleted member 92943

cool. The more Apps we get for free the better :smashin:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Looks possible. ITV Player used to use MS Silverlight making it incompatible with the PS3 browser but they appear to use Adobe Flashplayer now....

theshabster

Distinguished Member
Sweet - This is good news if true.

Last time I checked ITV Player used Silverlight, & that wasn't all that long ago. Should defo be possible if they now use Flash as that's an Adobe product rather than a Microsoft one :thumbsup:

RevanClaw

Novice Member
Could do with 5 OD also, get some gadget show on the go!!!

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
iPlayer gets used loads on my PS3, infact its a long time since I played games, its use for Streaming music/movies/photos, DVD, BR etc.

To be honest I can live with out ITV, but it would be a nice extra along with 4OD and 5.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
They should add icon's for all the on catchup TV services.

Agreed, makes it more user friendly, shame all the channels are not on one "iplayer" really.

PaulC2K

I cant even use the iPlayer app, its completely unresponsive once the programmes page loads, say Top Gear, it just sits there at the episode details page and nothing is clickable to fire it up.

Never found a way to uninstall it to try and reinstall it, or any other kind of fix, so while its a good move for the PS3 in general... i'd hope this one actually works for me.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The iPlayer app is actually just a web link and opens the browser. Even if you could uninstall it I don't think this would make a difference.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I cant even use the iPlayer app, its completely unresponsive once the programmes page loads, say Top Gear, it just sits there at the episode details page and nothing is clickable to fire it up.

Never found a way to uninstall it to try and reinstall it, or any other kind of fix, so while its a good move for the PS3 in general... i'd hope this one actually works for me.

Does iplayer work on other devices (PC? etc)

PaulC2K

The iPlayer app is actually just a web link and opens the browser. Even if you could uninstall it I don't think this would make a difference.
Yeah, im being stupid and not thinking :D

Does iplayer work on other devices (PC? etc)
Yeah, sure does. Even my mobile phone is capable of letting me watch stuff.

After a load of messing, some screenshots of a site which is missing loads of content i can see on the PC at the same URL, i figured it had to be something not right, checked the browser settings and somehow javascript was disabled, after reloading everything its all fully functional.

Only taken me 18 months to get it working (released Dec 08) so not bad at all that! :D
Maybe i was messing with settings to improve how content was displayed as i remember some sites i used looked terrible in the early days of the browser.

Thanks for your help though guys, for some reason i'd always assumed it was just faulty or the app was screwed an rarely tried it again. It always showed the URL like the browser, so that told me it wasnt a special app, just never knew the reason. Now JS is running its fullscreen without the url bar :)

Now im even more excited about the prospect of ITV Player, roll on 4OD & 5OD then!:clap:

Attachments

• http___www.bbc.co.uk_iplayer_bigscreen_tv_episode_b00sr62x_#.png
    http___www.bbc.co.uk_iplayer_bigscreen_tv_episode_b00sr62x_#.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member

humanfish

ITV is utter rubbish. I wouldn't even notice if they went bankrupt and off air

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
ITV is utter rubbish. I wouldn't even notice if they went bankrupt and off air

That is true.

Anyone watched the world cup matches on ITV, the standard def quality is utter garbage :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett