PS3 to DAV-DZ230. Help please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by geezah, Sep 8, 2007.

1. geezah

geezah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'm running a KDL40D3000 tv along with a dav-dz230 home cinema system. I can't seem to get sound from my ps3 to come through the home cinema system. I've got HDMI's running from ps3 and home cinema directly to the tv and can get normal telly through home cinema, but nothing for ps3! anyone know a solution??

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    It's quite likely that your home cinema all-in-one does not decode audio from HDMI. Try an optical cable from the PS3 to the Home Cinema System and let us know the results.

Hopefully someone who knows your Home Cinema System will be able to confirm if it can decode audio from HDMI.

Dan.

3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Just found the manuals for this product

Located Here

There's a few options in the 'Custom Menu' on page 70/71 of the manual that may help you.

Dan.

4. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is no digital or analogue input connectivity on this system at all other than a WM port intended for Walkman and a 3.5mm jack on the front panel for personal audio. Its a basic, entry-level system for providing surround sound from DVDs played on its internal drive. You would be better with the HT-SS1100 amp/speaker package which DOES have the external inputs but to which you would need to add a suitable DVD player.

Presumably your PS3 is connected to the TV by HDMI and you are expecting the TV to provide a pass through. Your TV will not do this.

5. geezah

geezah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply matt78. There was me thinking if I got a complete Sony set-up, Iwouldn't have any compatibility issues.... Is there any way the DM port is compatible with the PS3?

So, basically I can watch tv and dvd's in surround sound but not blu-ray! To say I'm gutted is an understatement!

6. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The DZ230 does the basics very well but its not a product that I'm particularly fond of, simply because it so often gets mis-sold. Its not a particularly flexible product. There may be some hope if Sony do more with the DM port (its one of those features that is under developed at present both in terms of lead availability and support for dealers), but as it stands you aren't going to get what you want out of the system.

7. upton

upton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same set up and have resolved this week. In the DAV230 I have connected a scart with audio phono conversion only. Run the audio jacks only from the scart to the ones on the TV under the optical out connection and everything seems to work OK. PS3 / SKy / Blue Ray and DVD.

8. lewmac

lewmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've connected home theatre kit using scart into AV2 and I can only get sound from freeview, when I switch to sky I get sound from freeview from kit and sound from tv through tv speakers, and help.

9. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thats fine, but you won't be able to get DTS or Dolby Digital from any of these sources other than the 230's integrated DVD drive. The only way to get proper surround decoding from an external source is via digital connection (optical or coaxial) and the 230 doesn't offer this option. With this set-up you will have to make do with Pro-logic II splitting the stereo signal and creating an impression of 5.1 surround sound. Given that Sky+/HD, PS3, and Blu-ray are all capable of outputting a proper surround signal, this seems a shame.

10. upton

upton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info.

Watching a blu ray film via PS3 through the 230 at times produced lip sync problems. Any ideas where the problem lies?