ps3 to amp, with only phono option

tabs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
my brother has an amp (sony) the only options he has on the back of the amp are phono sockets .... is there a way to get sound to the amp and speakers this way ?

thanks

I have everything coming out through my TV to speakers using phono cable so if he has a TV with that functionality then that could be an option. Before that I was just using the cable that came with the PS3 and only making use of the L and R cables directly into the speakers.

I have everything coming out through my TV to speakers using phono cable so if he has a TV with that functionality then that could be an option. Before that I was just using the cable that came with the PS3 and only making use of the L and R cables directly into the speakers.

cheers, there are phono sockets on the tv, but they are "inputs" and not outputs, we did try them but alas ... no sound :(

Yep, rca (phono) leads from audio out on tv or from the av multi cable from the ps3, into the auxiliary or video input on the amp.

This is also my current set up until my htsf1200 arrives...

You can use an av multi cable out for sound and a hdmi cable for the picture. Just go through audio options to ensure that it comes out of the av multi instead of the hdmi. This assume you are using hdmi or hdmi to dvi as your video out.

Just use the supplied composite cable and connect the red/white audio cables into the amp.

This is interesting... I have a Denon PMA-700AE (stereo amp) and will need to connect up a PS3 to it very soon (awaiting CoDWaW before purchasing).

All the inputs are in use: Phono (goes to the TV), CD, Tuner and DVD/Aux. If I connect the PS3 to the TV with HDMI and set the amp to Phono I should get audio from my stereo speakers. Hmm, I'll need to add a new activity to the Harmony One too.

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go for an AV amp but I'm a music lover at heart. Long live stereo!

tabs, have you solved this yet?

Yep hornz that's exactly what i currently have- hdmi from ps3 to tv, then phono lead from tv out to my cambridge audio amp. Does the job until the proper 5.1ch stuff arrives and has served me well for years! Ready for the next level now though. ;)

Great stuff, thanks colspark. Phew, so all I need to buy is a HDMI cable. Happy days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom