PS3 - temporary black screen?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I have my PS3 connected by HDMI, and have noticed on very few occassions that my screen will go black for 3-5 seconds. I have only noticed this whilst using the PS3 web browser so far.

Is this a known issue?

For now, I've disconnected the HDMI cable from the PS3 and am instead using it on my Xbox 360 and have been gaming for several hours at a time and have not noticed the screen go black yet - which may indicated that the problem is not with the TV or the HDMI cable itself.

holbrook99

im having this problem, but it happens when im playing my ps3 AND when im watching tv!!!

is this something that the ps3 is causing??

i have a samsung tv, what about you?:confused:

Moogle

Distinguished Member
It might be a "handshake" problem between your PS3 and your TV's HDMI connection. Several people have had a similar issue I believe. If it's inconsistant and happens randomly that might be the case. Not sure though.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
im having this problem, but it happens when im playing my ps3 AND when im watching tv!!!

is this something that the ps3 is causing??

i have a samsung tv, what about you?:confused:

I have a Hyundai A321. I thought it might be the HDMI cable, but cannot be certain as I'm using the same cable now on my 360 Elite and have had no problems thus far, which may indicate it being a PS3 issue.

I can't be sure though as it's only ever happened about 4 times, and it's always been on the PS3 web browser.

Does this happen to you regurlarly?
I'll be honest, my PS3 rarely sees much action. The most use it has had is watching 300 on Blu-ray 5 times in the space of a week.

I am getting a Joytech HDMI switcher soon, so I'm praying that this solves the issue with the PS3... as I assume the hand shake so to speak will be done between the PS3 (, 360 Elite) and the HDMI switcher and then the Switcher shakes with the TV - I could be completely wrong, but I hope not.

I get a blank screen for a second or sometimes but it always happens when playing HD MPEG2 videos,SD videos don't it do and neither do games or anything else.

coluigi

Could be your tv changing resolution - some handle it more gracefully than others. However, you'd probably notice this as a more regular occurrence.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Boo, I just had it happen again, but this time it was on a PSN game - Tekken 5 DR. I was playing and the screen went black and I heard a crackling sound from the speakers then it came back on again and did it again within 5 seconds. Since then it's currently back to normal.

What's the problem here then?

I've used the same cable on the 360 for a good days worth of gaming and not had any issues, though it is difficult to tell as it rarely happens on the PS3.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I've experiement further with my problem. I have 2 of the same TV, and so moved the PS3 into the other room and set it up on that TV. I've not noticed any black screen problems as of yet. The Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI runs fine on my own TV, which is what the PS3 was having problems with... so where then, can this problem be?

JENeric

Boo, I just had it happen again, but this time it was on a PSN game - Tekken 5 DR. I was playing and the screen went black and I heard a crackling sound from the speakers then it came back on again and did it again within 5 seconds. Since then it's currently back to normal.

What's the problem here then?

I've used the same cable on the 360 for a good days worth of gaming and not had any issues, though it is difficult to tell as it rarely happens on the PS3.

Funny thing is, I have this problem with my 360 (since I upgraded my TV) but never with my ps3.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom