PS3 Surround Sound Help/Advice

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by theonlytexaspet, Feb 10, 2009.

1. theonlytexaspet

theonlytexaspet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have a PS3 which i use for viewing Blu rays and a Samsung LE40F86 tele, i also have Virgin Media (although their severe lack of HD makes me wonder why?) all connected by HDMI. Basically i want a surround sound system that will connect to everything, i went into a store and as soon as i mentioned Blu Ray the guy started going "oh it going to cost ya about £700!" i want something thats not going to break the bank butb also give surround sound on Blu Rays, Games and Tele. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Alexei

2. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    I would look at the Onkyo series of Amp's, along with a speaker package.

Not only will you be able to connect everything, the amp will act as a switch meaning it'll be easy to switch between things, plus you'll be able to get the high def sound formats from blu-ray. :thumbsup:

Can be had quite cheap...many on here have a similar setup and maybe able to help with details.

3. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    If your budget is £300-ish you could look at the htddwg800, htsf1300, htss1300, and htsf1200. Imho they're a good choice for those with a modest budget, especially with the ps3.

They're basically av receiver & speakers systems, they have inputs for 3 hdmi, 2 optical, digital coax, and a few phono, so you can connect lots up to them.

They take audio over hdmi too - dd or dts, plus LPCM. This means that as ps3 can decode all audio formats (including dthd / dts hd ma) and output as uncompressed audio (LPCM), you get hd audio from blu rays on your ps3.

They're versatile and compatible with older tech such as dvd players etc, and new tech such as ps3 and blu ray, plus cd players, ipod, satellite boxes, etc.

They'll take pretty much whatever you can throw at them - the only thing they can't do is decode hd audio, but with ps3 that isn't necessary - all that's needed for hd audio is something that takes lpcm over hdmi, as ps3 does the decoding.

Hope that helps :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. strumstrum

strumstrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    with your TV having optical out and if cost is an issue then the excellent Sony DAV-Z260 should serve you well, great price, pretty darn good sound and has an optical in so anything you run through the TV will outout to the Sony...

will it not?

5. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Virgin connection, I don't think that they have any 5.1 channels. You could go straight to TV, and save a HDMI or Optical socket on the amp.

6. BIGJ99

BIGJ99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I also have a v+ box and a ps3 rigged up to a samsung HD lcd tv and they way i work it is i plug an audio lead from the back of my tv to the audio slots in the back of my panasonic dvd player, which is part of a 5.1 home cinema system.
    Doing it this way it works like a circuit, anything displayed on the tv screen will come out of the surround sound speakers. Try it.

Hope this helps mate.

7. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    However, most tv's only output stereo - so unless your tv outputs 5.1ch from its optical port you'll be getting stereo (or prologic) but not surround sound. To get proper 5.1ch you need to connect the source direct to the surround system.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Like I said.. I don't think that Virgin is in 5.1 anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I was replying generally - obviously the source needs to be 5.1ch if you're going to get 5.1ch from it...

I haven't a clue about virgin boxes, i was thinking more in terms of the suggestion above of connecting your ps3 to your tv and then connecting your tv's audio out to your surround system.

As i said - most tv's only output stereo, in which case you won't be getting surround sound from your ps3. The same applies to other devices that output 5.1ch - you need to connect them direct to the surround system to get surround sound.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  10. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There are some, although limited I must admit, on the BBC HD channel that transmit DD 5.1

I also have V+ and connect direct to amp on HDMI, when DD is bvroadcast it just sends it to amp for decoding.