PS3 Surround help

oska

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, a bit of a confusing one. I bought a surround sound system last week and am having trouble with connecting everything up so it all runs through it.

Firstly I have a Virgin cable box with 2 x Scart. 1 running into the Surround/DVD amp thing, the other going to 1 input on the TV. My PS3 is connected by HDMI to the 1 HDMI input I have on the telly. I want to connect the PS3 so it runs through the surround but the lack of optical on the surround system buggers the easy route. Any help would be appreciated.

TV - http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-26S2030&productsku=KDL26S2030U&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=TVP+15-26+Sony+BRAVIA+TV#tab

Surround - http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=DAV-DZ230&productsku=DAVDZ230.CEK&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=HCS+Surround+Kit+%26+DVD+Player#tab

Thanks in advance!:)

Don't think you can connect this to the PS3. No HDMI, No Optical... not that I can see in the list anyway. Sound through the tv will be stereo. Swap it for a different one... I actually had to swap 3 before I got one that worked, and the price was going up each time.

I had the same problem as my all in one amp / dvd player didn't have any way of inputting the audio from the PS3 digitally so was forced to use the stereo cables and thus only get Pro Logic at best. Bought a new receiver (STR 910) last week and have to say the improvement is stunning! Have sold the old unit to help fund the new one.

Prob not what you wanted to hear but it's the only way really.

Don't think you can connect this to the PS3. No HDMI, No Optical... not that I can see in the list anyway. Sound through the tv will be stereo. Swap it for a different one... I actually had to swap 3 before I got one that worked, and the price was going up each time.
The surround thing has 1 HDMI. I guess my problem is that the TV only has 1 HDMI. Is there no other output on the PS3 for sound?

The surround thing has 1 HDMI. I guess my problem is that the TV only has 1 HDMI. Is there no other output on the PS3 for sound?

You have HDMI output, but you need HDMI input.

Arse biscuits! How would I just get sound in stereo then? Not being at home looking at it I can't think!

Does your TV have left and right audio out phono sockets? That's how I had mine connected for a number of years and it worked fine.

I have RCA audio out on the tv and (Scart) TV audio in on the amp. That would just be in stereo wouldn't it? I don't really mind as it's ten times better than the crappy TV speakers. So I'd need to disconnect the Scart running from the Virgin box to the amp and plug into the output on the TV? Sorry for the dumbass questions!

If the surround unit has analogue audio in (red and white inputs) then just connect TV red and white out to surround red and white in. This should give Dolby prologic.

If you hve just purchased this I would try and change it for one with optical in and get DD and DTS personely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom