• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 Stuttering on pan scenes.

Rojj

Standard Member
Hi,

is there a way to avoid the stuttering on pan scenes with mkv files?

My configuration is

Sony 40W3000
PS3
Files on an external HD stremed through PS3 media server.
Every think is wired.

Have you got any recommendation on how to check whether the problem is related to network? I don't think it is though.

Do you think it could be related to the 24p/25p conversion? I am saying this because I do not have this problem with BRs.

Is anyone having this problem?

Thanks all for any help.

Rojj

Standard Member
Check my sig, I had the same "problem", i could notice the judder/stutter via our TV.

I get round it by using the AVCHD method of playback, thus giving me 24fps support.

Thanks for your answer.

I am not at home and cannot check now. I suppose that it is an option is the PS3? Do you convert movies with MK2VOB as well?

Axum

Distinguished Member
Hi,

If you're fine playing BR's then i'll assume that your setting to do with 24fps playback is already set to "yes" on the PS3.

You DO NOT get 24fps playback-support from anything other than external media playback, i.e. only when playing back via a USB HDD/Stick or via a DVD/BR.

Yes, i do use mkv2vob, but i choose AVCHD-USB, which means 24fps playback is enabled. You can't get 24fps via streaming from your PC, you only get it when playing back an "AVCHD" folder.

Rojj

Standard Member
Hi,

If you're fine playing BR's then i'll assume that your setting to do with 24fps playback is already set to "yes" on the PS3.

You DO NOT get 24fps playback-support from anything other than external media playback, i.e. only when playing back via a USB HDD/Stick or via a DVD/BR.

Yes, i do use mkv2vob, but i choose AVCHD-USB, which means 24fps playback is enabled. You can't get 24fps via streaming from your PC, you only get it when playing back an "AVCHD" folder.

Thanks very much. I finally understood it!

Yes the option is already set to "yes" indeed.

So, based on your explaination and other posts I have read, I should format the external drive as FAT32 and not use files bigger that 4GB. Furthermore the NLSU2 that I use with the external drive it should probably only be used to transfer files on it and not to stream them (through PS3 media player).

I think I have the following options:

- Buy a bigger HDD for the PS3, copy the files there after the conversion and play them locally.
- Transfer the created "videos" on the external HDD through the NSLU2 and physically connect it through the USB when I need to play them.

I am exploiting your kindness now. Do you think is there a way to convert my existing video in AVCHD?

Thanks a lot again

Axum

Distinguished Member
If you're using mkv2vob going forward, just select AVCHD-USB and it'll do the file splitting for you.

Be aware though, due to limitations and what mkv2vob is actually doing it'll force a black bar to appear at the bottom of the screen and the movie itself will be pushed up to the top (whereas usually you'd have a smaller black bar at the top and bottom of the screen, this will now be one large black bar at the bottom).

To avoid this you must ALWAYS TRANSCODE. This of course adds processing time to the initial mkv-conversion. It's for this reason i don't use mkv's anymore really, I wait a while and get the, err, "files" that come in the AVCHD-format already. The plus point here is that you don't need to do an awful lot, just run them through something called multiAVCHD (quick process), and these types of files have not been touched, so no quality-loss.

The downside is that you have to wait longer for, err, the "files" to become "available" ;)

As for existing conversions to be converted again to AVCHD, hmm, i'm unsure about this, you'd need to convert them to .m2ts files first then go from there....

Rojj

Standard Member
If you're using mkv2vob going forward, just select AVCHD-USB and it'll do the file splitting for you.

Be aware though, due to limitations and what mkv2vob is actually doing it'll force a black bar to appear at the bottom of the screen and the movie itself will be pushed up to the top (whereas usually you'd have a smaller black bar at the top and bottom of the screen, this will now be one large black bar at the bottom).

To avoid this you must ALWAYS TRANSCODE. This of course adds processing time to the initial mkv-conversion. It's for this reason i don't use mkv's anymore really, I wait a while and get the, err, "files" that come in the AVCHD-format already. The plus point here is that you don't need to do an awful lot, just run them through something called multiAVCHD (quick process), and these types of files have not been touched, so no quality-loss.

The downside is that you have to wait longer for, err, the "files" to become "available" ;)

As for existing conversions to be converted again to AVCHD, hmm, i'm unsure about this, you'd need to convert them to .m2ts files first then go from there....

Thanks Axum very very useful.

Reading other posts I understood that the only way to watch a AVCHD "video" is to have it as the only file on a USB stick or HDD.

It seems a bit impractical?

Axum

Distinguished Member
No, that's not true.

The only stipulation is that the AVCHD folder must be at the root of the drive (F:\AVCHD for example), you can have as much other stuff on there as you want.

MultiAVCHD enables you (among other things) to have loads of AVCHD's in one "AVCHD" folder, giving you a bespoke menu to select the file you want to play.

Rojj

Standard Member
No, that's not true.

The only stipulation is that the AVCHD folder must be at the root of the drive (F:\AVCHD for example), you can have as much other stuff on there as you want.

MultiAVCHD enables you (among other things) to have loads of AVCHD's in one "AVCHD" folder, giving you a bespoke menu to select the file you want to play.

Wow! I had a look at MultiAVCHD and it seems great! I think I am going to go this way even if it will mean to get all my files again and reconvert them.

Now I just need to reformat my external USB HDD to FAT32!!

Axum,

Your help has been really appreciated.

Axum

Distinguished Member
No worries...

Remember though, if you can't live with the black-bar "issue" then you'll HAVE to force a transcode, this could take hours, so you may be better off getting a different version of the file, i.e. not an mkv. The extra time it takes to get that kind of file could well be less than it'll take to transcode, especially as it's 1080p (I'm assuming this all applies to you getting 1080p files as you don't get 24fps playback @ 720p), and then you don't have to do anything to it other than run it through multiAVCHD.

PM me if you want more a more thorough explanation...

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I had a chance to see this issue first hand last night, a friend has a Sony 40/4500:confused: LCD (I think) and showed me a couple of MKV's running through his PS3. Judder was very pronounced n sweeping landscape pan's so i now understand the appeal of getting 24fps via AVCHD ;)

Same movies played back at home through my Plasma though showed barely noticeable judder so i think a lot of the judder issue is down to the Tv Processing.

Axum

Distinguished Member
Indeed, glad you now know why I go through the procedure i do ;)

It's not THAT bad to be honest on my display, it doesn't help if you have all the extra processing turned on via the TV's settings. I've calibrated my TV pretty well I think, but I personally could notice it, and the subsequent difference when using AVCHD/24fps. Plus once I started to investigate the whole AVCHD route, and decided to follow and stick to that route (and not bother with mkv's), you obviously get the exact quality of the original as it's untouched...which is nice!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom