Ps3 Streaming using ps3 media server or Tversity, What quality is Better

Sicoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a question

i have been converting 720/1080 .mkv's to mpg using mkv2vob and streaming them via tversity to my ps3 however ive just seen ps3 media server which will play .mkv without the need to convert them to mpg etc

i know that the ps3 is transcoding the video for .mkv file but am i losing quality at all.

ie is it the same to run the .mkv via ps3 media server or is the mpg converted better at all.

thanks simon

Hi All

I have a question

i have been converting 720/1080 .mkv's to mpg using mkv2vob and streaming them via tversity to my ps3 however ive just seen ps3 media server which will play .mkv without the need to convert them to mpg etc

i know that the ps3 is transcoding the video for .mkv file but am i losing quality at all.

ie is it the same to run the .mkv via ps3 media server or is the mpg converted better at all.

thanks simon

In general 720p MKV's rarely need any transcoding at all and a simple remux of the audio codec + a container type change is all that's done by either method.

Odd 720p's and most 1080p's however do need a full transcode (for various reasons) quality of this transcode will be dictated by the encoding engine the app uses however the two methods you mention both use the same encoder (Mencoder) so as long as you haven't tuned PS3 Media Server's bandwidth/quality options to compensate for your backend PC power/lack of network bandwidth the output will be the same.

TVersity will also Trancode the same as PS3 Media server but it's encoding engine is far more CPU intensive so avoid this method.

Thanks for the info im most greatful

so in other words i should use ps3 media server and not bother converting the .mkv's to mpg correct

Thanks for the info im most greatful

so in other words i should use ps3 media server and not bother converting the .mkv's to mpg correct

Depends......

Only if you have a fast PC at the backend. Realistically you need at least a Core2Duo for 720p MKV transcoding on the fly and I'd say Quad core for 1080p Transcodes althoguh you can throttle the quality settings in the app to compensate for lower spec PC's.

You'll also find ffwd/rwd during on the fly transcoding needs a LOT of backend grunt.

Personally I find it easier to just remux with MKV2VOB and then stream in a PS3 native format. appreciate 1080p's do take hours to transcode though.

PS3 Media Server still adds some other nice features in that make it worth using over TVersity though.

Custom Box art display for movies in XMB, XMB selectable transcoding engines and .SRT subtitle support to name just a few ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom