PS3 Sound Query

paulflee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally solved my PS3 problem running the surround sound through my Phillips TV to my Philips DVD home theater system. My question is it only stops clicking when i set it at 2ch 44.1khz and 2ch 48khz. I still get 5.1 surround sound is this correct?

I've finally solved my PS3 problem running the surround sound through my Phillips TV to my Philips DVD home theater system. My question is it only stops clicking when i set it at 2ch 44.1khz and 2ch 48khz. I still get 5.1 surround sound is this correct?

Sorry, can you explain a little clearer what it is you want?

What formats does your phillips home theater support?

If the PS3 is set to 2ch audio then thats all you'll get: 2.1 sound

Ok the problem is that it's set at 2ch pcm but when I do the surround sound thx test on monsters inc dvd the sound outputted is 5.1 as all the speakers respond.

Its a philips hts 3357. It confirms it's recieving a DTS signal so I'm just confused was hoping someone could confrim that when its set on 2ch pcm it does output a 5.1 signal.

If I set it to only output through HDMI 2ch 44.1khz then why does the thx test confirm 5.1 and every speaker work.

I think thats Dolby ProLogic II

It takes the 2.1 and plays it on the 5 speakers rather than Dolby Digital/DTS where each speaker/channel having a track

I think thats how it works anyway

Like the others said, if it is set to output 2ch sound, that's all you'll get - stereo (2.0 rather than 2.1 I think as I don't think that includes a LFE track).

How are you connecting your PS3 to your sound system? Optical or HDMI? If you are using optical, you have to set the sound output to bitstream to get surround sound. HDMI can be as 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM or bitstream.

hi there,

I found that out last night. I wasn't getting multi channel in on my AV amp. I changed the Audio settings to L PCM 5.1 on all of them and now I get multi channel in. If you press the select button on the controller it brings up what audio setting it is playing. I was watching my bloody valentine (crap film) and it was showing DTS Master Audio. And wow! how good does it sound.

cheers

Graham

Like the others said, if it is set to output 2ch sound, that's all you'll get - stereo (2.0 rather than 2.1 I think as I don't think that includes a LFE track).

How are you connecting your PS3 to your sound system? Optical or HDMI? If you are using optical, you have to set the sound output to bitstream to get surround sound. HDMI can be as 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM or bitstream.

Doesn't make sence as if it was stereo why would the receiver state its getting either a dts signal or Dolby Digital and have full surround sound on the thx test and seemingly in films. Sony don't half screw things up.

Doesn't make sence as if it was stereo why would the receiver state its getting either a dts signal or Dolby Digital and have full surround sound on the thx test and seemingly in films. Sony don't half screw things up.

Sorry, what have Sony done?

Ok the problem is that it's set at 2ch pcm but when I do the surround sound thx test on monsters inc dvd the sound outputted is 5.1 as all the speakers respond.

Its a philips hts 3357. It confirms it's recieving a DTS signal so I'm just confused was hoping someone could confrim that when its set on 2ch pcm it does output a 5.1 signal.

I'm not certain about Monsters Inc, but DTS can be 2-ch PCM. Most likely, as stated before, the two-ch signal is being matrix'd into Dolby Pro Logic, or other derived 5.1 format.

I had a similar problem with my Sony STR-D5300ES and PS3. I could not get the HD formats. My problem was determined to be a firmware issue. Sony gave the option of having it repaired locally, or have a replacement receiver sent. They provided the replacement within two days with a return shipping label provided for the defective unit. Check out Agoraquest - Great Sony Forum, News, Reviews with 86,000 members for all Sony-related problems.

I'm not certain about Monsters Inc, but DTS can be 2-ch PCM. Most likely, as stated before, the two-ch signal is being matrix'd into Dolby Pro Logic, or other derived 5.1 format.

Ok that explains it. So it is 5.1 surround sound then? Jobs a good un! Now to find out why music won't come out.......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom