• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 sound but no picture

purple1753

Standard Member
Hi, I'm new on here so apologise if I've put this in the wrong place. I have a PS3 which works very well on my Toshiba TV. This has been taken for repairs and so have a Sharp 32'' TV which I have plugged my PS3 into. the connection is via HDMI and I can only get sound with no picture. I have tried the same connection with a DVD player and this works fine. I know the PS3 is working as I can hear it working without the picture. I have tried allsorts, can anyone think of something I've missed? cheers

dr no

make sure the picture resolution setting is set to automatic
also the RGB range is limited etc..

Maybe the replacement TV cannot handle the signal as it is when your previous TV did

thewait

Established Member
Hi, I'm new on here so apologise if I've put this in the wrong place. I have a PS3 which works very well on my Toshiba TV. This has been taken for repairs and so have a Sharp 32'' TV which I have plugged my PS3 into. the connection is via HDMI and I can only get sound with no picture. I have tried the same connection with a DVD player and this works fine. I know the PS3 is working as I can hear it working without the picture. I have tried allsorts, can anyone think of something I've missed? cheers
All you need to do is just hold the power button for a couple of seconds till it beeps twice. This would make the PS3 show the picture in the lowest resolution possible and then allow you to choose which setting you to want to set it to.

purple1753

Standard Member
All you need to do is just hold the power button for a couple of seconds till it beeps twice. This would make the PS3 show the picture in the lowest resolution possible and then allow you to choose which setting you to want to set it to.

I shall go and try it now thanks very much!

Also thanks for answering re Tosh settings. If I remember all I did was plug it in and off it went so was really easy. thanks for the help
...just hoping I get my Toshiba back again!

cols

Prominent Member
Perhaps your tosh is 1080p but the one you're connected into now isn't? That might explain it... If the ps3 is outputting the xmb as 1080p and your current tv can't handle that resolution, hence no picture...

Reset as explained above should sort it, then you can redo your settings for that tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom