• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 Sound breaking | crackling problems with Onkyo 605

spooksie

Standard Member
Hey,

Just moved house and had to re-cable all my electronics. The only problem I am getting is the PS3. For some reason blueray movie sounds just stops for 1 second and then carries on. Same happens with games.

I have checked the cabling, no problems. Plus I have a 360 running through the same optical as PS3 (I have to swap leads). 360 has no problems or crackling with movies or games through the Onkyo.

Looked at the sound settings on the PS3, updated to latest firmware. I am not running the HDMI through the Onkyo as my TV has 4 HDMI inputs (only optical sound).

In the settings of the PS3 it warns about if you choose the wrong settings it could damage the speakers. I have PCM and 5.1 surround setup. Doesnt seem to be compabible.

Strange as this worked fine before, ruled out a dodgy Onkyo as it works fine with the 360. Ruled out the PS3 being faulty as the sound works perfectly through the TV (HDMI). So it must be a setting problem.

Can anyone help?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Don't know what your problem is but why don't you connect the PS3 via HDMI to the amp, save you having to swap cables and get the advantage of HD audio from Bluray.

spooksie

Standard Member
My HD input doesnt work anymore. I cannot see the AMP when I plug it HDMI into the TV from Onkyo. So I decided just to use the audio.

So HDMI audio... is it better that optical?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
My HD input doesnt work anymore. I cannot see the AMP when I plug it HDMI into the TV from Onkyo. So I decided just to use the audio.

Sorry don't understand this!

The only way to get the HD audio is via HDMI. Optical only gives you dolby digital or dts.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom