PS3 Slim over Compoent - HDCP?

jamesivi

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a ps3 slim connected to a Sony 46W2000 tv using HDMI.
The picture keeps dropping, going to a black screen with the display showing AV3 1080p etc and then what ever I was playing/watching comes back on.
If I get a component cable can I still watch Blu-ray discs at 1080p?
I thought i read somewhere about copy protection?

Thanks

StevieBuck

I used to have the 40" version of this TV - before my brother launched a PS3 controller at the screen and cracked it. Anyway... I do not believe that it supported 1080p over component, so regardless of whether the PS3 can output 1080p video from Blu-ray or not - it won't work with this set.

Have you tried connecting the PS3 to the other HDMI input, or a different HDMI cable?

jamesivi

Standard Member
Hello,

The Sony site says it can display 1080p over component so hopefully the tv is ok, just wondering if the PS3 is able to output 1080p over component of is it scaled down due to this copy protection.
I will try a different HDMI cable, but, if I plug the Xbox in to the same port using the same cable it is fine, just no Blu-ray player.
I see people are saying this is worse since the last firmware update, hopefully an update might fix this soon.
Good excuse for a new TV I think ;-)

StevieBuck

The Sony site says it can display 1080p over component so hopefully the tv is ok

I remember connecting my xbox 360 to this TV with component and it didn't work at 1080p. If you look at the manual, 1080p is listed as an accepted signal for the HDMI inputs but it isn't for component. I'm fairly sure that's a mistake with technical specifications on the Sony website.

Come to think of it... do you have a component cable for the xbox 360 so you can try out 1080p over component with that instead?

A2a

How annoying is the drop out - I've suffered badly with it - strange how it affects some and not others?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom