PS3, Sky+ and surround sound. Please help

ianpeterson

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of some help.

I currently have a Samsung LE32R tv, PS3 and Sky+. I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 surround sound system in order to get a better sound experience from my current set up.

My budget is around £350 and from my reseach I require a separate amp and speakers rather than an all-in-one system.

I'm not interested in getting another Dvd player so I understand I will only need an AV receiver.

Can anyone come up with some suggested options as I have tried looking on the forums and can not quite match up my requirements:
  • Watch blue-ray in 5.1 surround sound
  • Play PS3 with surround sound
  • Watch Sky (mainly sports) in surround sound
Many thanks to anyone who can help

If you want to watch Blurays in the best uncompressed TrueHD sound, you will need to get a Sony 910 or Onkyo 605 amp/receiver and a 5.1 speaker set.

Thank you for your responses:

I have had a look at the other posts you have refered to and it appears that they are suggesting the DENON DHT1356XP:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3553

I see this model has 2 optical inputs so I could run both the sky+ and the PS3 through it. What sort of sound quality will this give for Blue-Ray though?

Also if at some point I decided to get Sky HD would I need a new reciver as it doesn't appear to have HDMI input/output.

In regards to both
Sony 910 or Onkyo 605, although I understand that these will give me he best sound quality through Blue-Ray, they are above my budget. If I was prepared to lose some of this quality would the Denon package above meet my needs. I'm pepared for other suggestions as this would be £100 under my original budget.

Many thanks again

Richer Sounds should supply you a Onkyo TX-SR605 for around £340 if you talk to them about price matching, they matched HIFix a few weeks ago for me, Check out the lastest forums from other members who have done this!

Good luck! You will not regret the quality!!

I see this model has 2 optical inputs so I could run both the sky+ and the PS3 through it. What sort of sound quality will this give for Blue-Ray though?
You will get access to the core surround sound formats which essentially means (depending on the movie and the soundtrack format it provides); up to Dolby digital 5.1 640kbps (TrueHD) or DTS 5.1 1.5mbps (DTS-HD).

Also if at some point I decided to get Sky HD would I need a new reciver as it doesn't appear to have HDMI input/output.
Sky HD is not really a problem as you could connect it directly to your television using hdmi or component input and send surround sound to the receiver via separate optical digital cable (- the same as on a Sky+ box for surround sound). You need to do this anyway, even with an amp that supports sound over hdmi because it only carries stereo through its hdmi connection at the moment.

Robert

Thank you for your help.

After much deliberation I feel I must take the plunge and go for the Onkyo TX-SR605. This has however blown my budget already.

I'm therefore looking for some budget speakers which will give me a chance to save up some more money to purchase some which will justify the quality of the receiver.

Any ideas?

Jamo A102 HCS5 seem to be getting the nod on here at the moment at around £190 or so.

I'm therefore looking for some budget speakers which will give me a chance to save up some more money to purchase some which will justify the quality of the receiver.Any ideas?
You could possibly consider S/H - otherwise the afformentioned Jamos are a popular combination. A bit cheaper are the Canton Movie 60CX package - £150 (have a look in the Speakers Power Buy Special Offers forum). I haven't tried those personally, but I do own a set of their Movie 150QX ones; they've proved to be a good buy from the initial trials I've done. Jake can probably provide you with his assessment of them if you leave him a message in the thread there. Also, for bigger rooms there's the more conventional looking MS Premiere 5.1 speaker package; you can find that online for £200. You'll of course need to budget a bit for cables as well; both speaker cables (5 speakers plus sub) and those for connecting up your sources for video/surround sound.

Robert

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom