PS3 signal glitch - Help!

Pallaris

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the LCD forum but figured here was more appropriate.

Right I purchased the Sony S2530 (32") a couple weeks ago in preparation for the PS3. I've been pretty pleased with it so far and the HD image over HDMI is fantastic. However I think I have noticed a bug with this set.

The problem is the PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Whenever the screen switches to black output (usually a loading screen or when you press the PS button on the pad to bring up the overlay functions) there's a split-second horizontal white line that flickers at the top of the display - always at the top of the screen (the last row of pixels) and in random spots. It looks something like this:

ps3glitchpk4.jpg

Another way to reproduce the problem is to hold down the PS button during the day (when the XMB background colour isn't black) to bring up the overlay (turn off system etc, reassign controller etc)...the glitch happens about 3-4 times out of ten whenever you go from a non black signal to a completely black one. It's a quick flash so might be hard to spot at first.

This also happens as the screen fades to black for a second between rounds in Tekken5: Dark Resurrection.

It's really odd. I've tried hooking up to another standard CRT via RGB and this signal glitch doesn't occur. Also no problem with the PS3 hooked up via composite or RGB on the S2530. So it's either something the PS3 is doing with its HDMI ouput or a bug on my LCD.

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this signal glitch...either on their S series or other Bravia TV? Is it something I should be worried about? (faulty ps3 etc).

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I know it's no help at all but I dont get what you describe with my set-up which is EXACTLY the same as yours.

damn :(. So what am I looking at here...a faulty PS3 or dodgy HDMI cable (it was a £2.99 job from ebuyer)

Really annoying. Any suggestions? have I missed something perhaps...

small, what HDMI cable are you using and are you plugged into AV4? also what settings do you use? I know it might not make a difference but it could be something there..

thanks

damn :(. So what am I looking at here...a faulty PS3 or dodgy HDMI cable (it was a £2.99 job from ebuyer)

Really annoying. Any suggestions? have I missed something perhaps...

small, what HDMI cable are you using and are you plugged into AV4? also what settings do you use? I know it might not make a difference but it could be something there..

thanks

I am using AV5 but I have used AV4 as well.
I have turned off all the picture processing stuff in the set up menu on the TV.
I am under the iimpression that HDMI cables either work or dont,there shouldn't be any visible difference between one costing £1 and one costing £100.
Mine came with the package I got from Play,it's nothing special to be honest.

Yup any priced HDMI cable should perform the same over a reasonable length. TBH i'm not sure what to do now. I really doubt the PS3 is faulty... it's too minor a glitch for there to be anything fundamentally wrong with the hardware. No problems with the fan, no crashes yet - it's been on practically non stop without a hitch so far.

If you're saying your TV doesn't show this glitch then it could well be the TV...but on the flip side I have to consider that this thing is really hard to spot and could just be a bug in the firmware. Someone trying it out for a few minutes and not seeing anything isn't exactly conclusive. Last night I was testing this for about 10 minutes without a problem then I saw the the line again. Hmmm

FIXED !!! - Turned off Black Corrector. No more white line glitch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom