PS3 shuts down 5 minutes after start up

John69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just inherited a faulty PS3, it will run in safe mode, I managed to install the new 4.0 system software, but it still fails to run, an 800 number flashed up at one point but I wasn't fast enough to write it down. Can anybody advise / help ? **STRANDED**

Does it run in safe mode indefinitely, or just shut down after 5 minutes regardless of safe mode or normal xmb?

If it's fine in safe mode, then it could be a hard drive issue. Try formatting the drive completely, or putting in a new drive.

If it shuts down regardless, then check the fan? Is it working at all? Does it get loud quickly? Both point to overheating, but for different reasons. The first being an obvious hardware problem with the fan itself, the second could be down to age/dust etc.

You didn't say what type/age of PS3. Slim/fat? Original hard drive size? PS2 backward compatible? Might help identify the age of the console & narrow down possible problems. If it's a slim, then the dust thing is probably a no (unless it's being kept somewhere ridiculously dusty).

Or, it could be borked completely. Terminal hardware failure. It's probably impossible to say without someone properly qualified looking at it, & difficult to suggest options without more information.

Hope you find what it is.

Hi Karen, firstly thank you for taking time to respond to my thread. OK, the PS3 is a slim model, CECH 2003A, about 2 to 3 yrs old. It has sat on my sons shelf for the past year as all his friends are xbox360.

I have "quick" re-formatted the HD, it won't stay on long enough to do a full reformat.

When it switches OFF, you hear a relay click and the the light goes out, even the little LED standby one...

I managed to re-install system software v4.0

Any clues where to start... or do i have to "bin it"

Hi Karen, firstly thank you for taking time to respond to my thread. OK, the PS3 is a slim model, CECH 2003A, about 2 to 3 yrs old. It has sat on my sons shelf for the past year as all his friends are xbox360.

I have "quick" re-formatted the HD, it won't stay on long enough to do a full reformat.

When it switches OFF, you hear a relay click and the the light goes out, even the little LED standby one...

I managed to re-install system software v4.0

Any clues where to start... or do i have to "bin it"

Hi Jill:D,

One step at a time. You didn't say if you'd checked any of the points I raised before. Have you checked the fan to see if it's working? You should be able to feel a gentle summers breeze from the vents if it's operating properly.

If you want to take the top off to see if it's a dust thing, then have a look at

Google

to see if you can find any inspiration.

Other than that it may be a matter of getting somebody to have a look at it. Slim's are usually pretty reliable from what I've read, but I don't have one so I couldn't say where you'd need to look if my other suggestions come up empty.

HI Kazz,

Gonna go get me a torq10 driver and have a mess ;-)

Thanx for the inspo

Jill ??? :facepalm:

Hi Karen,

HELPS if I look properly *LOL*

Kaden :)

....well could have been your Sunday name, thanks for the *smiles*

...feel like a wally now :blush:

It now comes up with the system software can not be run correctly, press ther PS button to restart. Did that to no avail, it then asks to re-install system software, which I did, from the PS website.

Any clues Kaden.....?

If it's the system software, then it sounds like a hard drive issue. Might be worth getting hold of another 2.5" sata hard drive & see if that solves your problems.

You could try removing the hard drive altogether, & turning it on, just to see if the console itself stays powered up without a hdd in it. You won't be able to do anything, but just for a stability check.

You could plug the PS3 hdd into a PC & run a diskcheck, & try to format it, see what happens. Could highlight any issues if the hard drive has had it.

EXCELLENT IDEA... I will have a play tomorrow

...get back to you with any findings

Cheers Kaden !

....wish I had a drive to try ???

lastly sata, is that specific for the PS3, is it a 2 1/2" ?

If I plug it into my pc, not going to run is it on PS3 software...?

..get baCK TO YA :confused:

SATA is used on PC aswell just the PS3 HDD is small usually a PC HDD is 3.5" I think

2.5" is traditionally the standard size for a laptop hard drive. 3.5" is usually for desktop PC's. Sata is the more modern connector that it uses instead of the older IDE connection. Smaller connectors & cables allow better airflow in a PC case, & faster transfer rates I believe. (the bottom one is sata).

sata-ide_lg.jpg

To run a Sata hdd on a PC your motherboard either needs to have Sata connectors so you can plug it in internally, or you can get a USB caddy that converts Sata into usb so that you can use the drive externally. Check out

Amazon.co.uk: sata 2 enclosure

for an idea what you need. You can pick them up from the likes of PC World & Maplins as well.

Your PC will not recognise the data on a PS3 formatted hard drive, but it will recognise the drive itself, so you can attempt to format it, & run a checkdisk. Likewise, the PS3 won't recognise PC data, but it will recognise the drive itself when inserted into the console & attempt to format it back to a language it understands. The hardware is exactly the same, it's just the way the the console or PC reads it that's different.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Got ya Kaden, last time I was playing with PCs they were the older IDE drives..... :rolleyes:

Hi, At first I pulled out the HDD, it will sat there for ages with the power on, nothing plugged in, I went for a brew to come back... it was OFF ???

Last edited:
...at first it seemed fine with no HDD, plugged it into the tv (using HDMI) and it started to play up, after a few minutes its gone back to its old-self, switching off after a few minutes even with no HDD ?

...can there be some thing with the HDMI ?

...is it more likely the PSU

....should I buy a YLOD and rip the PSU out ?

...your advice would be brill :thumbsup:

...at first it seemed fine with no HDD, plugged it into the tv (using HDMI) and it started to play up, after a few minutes its gone back to its old-self, switching off after a few minutes even with no HDD ?

...can there be some thing with the HDMI ?

...is it more likely the PSU

....should I buy a YLOD and rip the PSU out ?

...your advice would be brill :thumbsup:

Not the hard drive then. Sounds more serious. Could be an overheating issue, but you'd have to check the fan is working, & the inside is reasonably dust free. Of course I'm just guessing now. If the fan isn't working at all, then it could overheat quite quickly. That's making the assumption that the PS3 has a temperature shutdown. I've done a little google search for "PS3 temperature shutdown", & it suggests that the when it goes off the red light should flash, but I don't know any detail behind it. I actually doubt that dust would cause a shutdown that quickly, & you'd hear the fan ramp up in speed (& volume) before it shut down.

I wouldn't rule out the PSU completely, but I would have thought a bust PSU wouldn't turn on at all, & you've got to be very careful ordering parts as there's many different models of PS3 with different PSU's, Blu-Ray drives, mainboards.

If it's not a dead fan causing overheating & a designed console shutdown, then I'm really not sure.

Hi Kaden, I do appreciate your help :smashin:

OK, not the HDD, deff not the fan, its VERY clean and runs fine....

Probably the PSU as it does seem strange that if you plug anything in (taking extra load) like the HDMI or the controller (via the USB lead) it kinda dies, doesn't go standby or anything, you just hear the relay CLIK and everything is off.... you have to leave it a minute or two then re-connect the power lead before you can get anywhere, hate giving up on things... but this is close.... I have seen a few on ebay and apparently it's a common problem... not found THE FIX to said "COMMON" problem as yet ?

....any clues sire ????

Hi Kaden, I do appreciate your help :smashin:

OK, not the HDD, deff not the fan, its VERY clean and runs fine....

Probably the PSU as it does seem strange that if you plug anything in (taking extra load) like the HDMI or the controller (via the USB lead) it kinda dies, doesn't go standby or anything, you just hear the relay CLIK and everything is off.... you have to leave it a minute or two then re-connect the power lead before you can get anywhere, hate giving up on things... but this is close.... I have seen a few on ebay and apparently it's a common problem... not found THE FIX to said "COMMON" problem as yet ?

....any clues sire ????

No clues, but if you can get hold of a power supply, they are very easy to replace. At least they are on the big old fat PS3's. The psu in the fat is the first thing you see when you take the lid off (that & the blu-ray drive). It's curved to match the top of the console, & I can't see the slim's been any different. A few screws, one connector, & pull. Worth googling a video to check.

Hope you manage to sort it.

Only problem with that is if there is ever a power surge then you can say goodnight to your PSU xD

fair point, never had a power surge yet, been there 8 years..... I'll risk it :)

Whatever you posted, I can't see it. I'm at work, & our old Internet Explorer 6 & restricted network stops me seeing all the good stuff. I'll have a look when I get home in 45 minutes.

fair point, never had a power surge yet, been there 8 years..... I'll risk it :)

I mean if you can't get it swapped (run out of warranty) then you may aswell :p

Apparently on the first models they had problems with the PSUs, think they were set up on the edge, turning the pots a couple of degrees stopped the shut downs, I know this is right as I tried putting them back and VOILA !

Great of Sony not to tell anybody and extend the warranty on older models....

NOT impressed....

thats ****** man =/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom