PS3 'Shadowing' on picture/characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstyla1

Novice Member
Hi All,

I am having some issues which i do not think i have had before. When i turn on my PS3 and the main menu loads up, i notice that there is a faint shadowing of all the characters/objects on screen. Even if you load up a game and pause it, you can just make it out again, the same applies to films too. I am pretty sure that i have simply enabled a picture setting by accident, but would like to turn it off again. I have just gone through most of the settings trying them on and off and have had no joy.

Any ideas?:confused:

I have checked the TV and it is not that. I think it may be to do with the connection settings on the PS3 as i get the same shadowing/ghosting when i bring up a TV menu overlapping the PS3 via HDMI. If i then turn back to say SKY tv and bring up the TV menu, it is fine. :lease:

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
G

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
What is your TV's sharpness setting set to?

By default many TVs come with high levels of sharpness applied - whereas for a 1080p or 1080i signal, you probably shouldn't be applying any at all. The sharpness control on my HDTV is set at minimum...

However if the menu generated by the TV is distorted when connected to the PS3 and not when connected to Sky that is a bit confusing.

Are they connected to different inputs? If so the sharpness settings may be input specific - so remembered for each input and not applied across all inputs.

What resolution are the Sky HD and PS3 boxes set-up for ? Or are you using Sky SD via SCART ?

gstyla1

Novice Member
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is the lowdown:

1) Sharpness setting is set to Normal.

2) When viewing the TV Menu (Picture/Sound/Setup Menu) it overlaps the picture being displayed. When watching terrestrial TV, SKY, DVD's the menu is displayed fine. When using the PS3 however, i get the slight shadowing.

3) Inputs are as follows: Sky and DVD are connecting via Scart. PS3 is connecting via HDMI

4) Sky is SD, PS3 is HD and resolves depending on content, usually 720p or 1080i

Hope this helps?:confused:

Cheers
G

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Hmm - not sure. What type of TV (LCD, Plasma, DLP or CRT) do you have and what model? If not a CRT, what is the native resolution? Do you have any other HDMI sources ? Does it do this with them? Does it do the same thing in 720p and 1080i ?

gstyla1

Novice Member
Hi,

I have the following:

SONY KDF-E50A12U
Slimline 50" 3LCD rear projection television with Integrated Digital Tuner, HD Ready, 2.7m pixels and wide viewing angle.
bullet 50" 3LCD television
bullet Integrated Digital Tuner
bullet HD Ready
bullet HDMI
bullet 1280 x 720 resolution
bullet Zoom
bullet Auto Labelling
bullet Auto Start-Up Tuning
bullet Auto Volume Adjustment
bullet Sleep Timer
bullet Iris Cinema Black Pro
bullet PC Input

Cheers
G

gstyla1

Novice Member
.....I only have one HDMI, which is the PS3, everything else connects via Component or Scart...they are all fine. :thumbsup:

gstyla1

Novice Member

gstyla1

Novice Member
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Problem fixed!!! It was the same issue as the other thread!!!

Proof once again that the internet is tops!:smashin:

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Problem fixed so closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom