PS3 replacing three other devices... sensible?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering going out and buying an 80GB PS3 today to use a a 'jack of all trades' device. The aim would be to replace these devices;

Apple TV (160GB)
XBox 360 Premium
Pioneer upscaling DVD player

Now I know it can replace the XBox, I know it can replace the upscaling DVD player... but it's the Apple TV that I need to be sure over, as this is one awesome bit of kit.

I know I'll lose the iTunes movie rentals and the slick interface... but I've only ever bought two films from it so only tend to use it for music and pictures.

I've read the quite frankly superb sticky thread on PS3 as a media center, so I know what can and can't be done technically. But can somebody re-assure me that buying a PS3 and plugging in my 320GB WD MyBook full of music and pictures is a usable solution that can replace the Apple TV for these duties?

Anything I need to be aware of?

Depends where your music is - if you use iTunes for your music and *cough* movie downloads then it makes sense to keep it.

I have replaced my Pio player with the PS3 and it works rather well but there is no way that I would replace my Apple TV; it just works....

I rarely use Apple TV for movie rentals or downloads... only done it twice. It's mainly used for pictures and music. And on the subject of music, I'm re-ripping music to remove Apples DRM so I can play it on my cars standard MP3 player anyway, so DRM isn't an issue.

It's more the usability that's of concern. As you say, the Apple TV 'just works'. It's so simple to get to what you want, I'd not want to lose that.

Can you use the Blu-Ray remote for other media functions?

If your music is in Mp3 format then go for it the PS3 is excellent, but has problems with m4a files. My music is m4a on my laptop for my iphone and a mp3 on my ps3. I find the ps3 excellent for media movies, pics and music

Can you use the Blu-Ray remote for other media functions?

Yep, you can control the whole thing (bar games) with the BR remote. I often just grab the remote when there is summat I wanna get from the store, or to watch something from the HDD instead of the pad.

As regards movie rentals if you do plan on using it more they are coming to the store early next year anyways.

Yep, you can control the whole thing (bar games) with the BR remote. I often just grab the remote when there is summat I wanna get from the store, or to watch something from the HDD instead of the pad.

As regards movie rentals if you do plan on using it more they are coming to the store early next year anyways.

Awesome... on both counts :smashin:

Guess what I've just brought back from Toys R Us? ;)

80GB PS3
Fifa 09
Virtua Tennis
Colin Mcray Dirt
Blu-Ray remote
Extra Dualshock remote

XBox and Apple TV are being formatted and advertised this afternoon :thumbsup:

I *HATE* Sony but I'm really pleased with my PS3.

Kept my 360 though - considering Halo is literally the only game I ever play.

Enjoy!

80GB PS3
Fifa 09
Virtua Tennis
Colin Mcray Dirt
Blu-Ray remote
Extra Dualshock remote

Heavy bugger ain't it! Enjoy tho, it's a well made bit of kit that is growing in features all the time :smashin:

Similar situation/decision for me 6 months ago.
Ditched the 360 and upscalling DVD Player for a PS3.

Never looked back :cool:

PS3 upscales better than any DVD player ive had (and ive had a few).
PS3 is a far better quality machine than the 360.

As far as replacing the xbox goes, I don't think so.

If you are a gamer at all, there is no way the ps3 can fill the gaming void.

But plugging in your external hd will work and media sharing is pretty good.

It should satisfy all your media needs in that respect.

I'm sorry but the PS3 has plenty of excellent games. That argument is about 12 months out of date. The PS3 has some fantastic exclusives to come out in the next couple of months, arguably better than the 360 line up.

I sold my 360 as all it got used for was attracting dust! Its more reliable, much quiter. I have no regrets at all.

Enjoy mate. I haven't used my 360 for months and months now, I should get rid of it but the value is to low to bother doing it. It has basically replaced my DVD player and 360.
For me the games catalogue on the PS3 is better, hence why I dont use the 360 now.
I rip my films as single VOB files and dump them on the drive, so have about 16 films waiting to be watched if I can stop playing games :smashin:

80GB PS3
Fifa 09
Virtua Tennis
Colin Mcray Dirt
Blu-Ray remote
Extra Dualshock remote

another one sees the light... ;) :smashin:

But plugging in your external hd will work and media sharing is pretty good.

It should satisfy all your media needs in that respect.

I replaced my Xbox two days ago with a PS3 and its superb, so much quieter and the gameplay is identical (even online)

I'm not a big gamer, but do play occasionally and from what I've seen so far, there is nothing between the two. GTA 4 is GTA 4, whatever console you own ;)

Been setting it up and playing with the PS3 a bit this afternoon, going well so far.

Quick question though, what's the best audio output option with HDMI and an Onkyo 605? Bitstream?

Last edited:
I've gone from using a Benchmark Dac1 to a Squeezebox3 to now using just mp3's on a PS3 for my source for music. Can't say I can hear a difference, and the money went towards justifying my purchase of the PS3 (as well as selling my dvd player, as someone already said the PS3 is surprisingly good for DVD's). Basically cost me £120 for a streamed divx's player/music source/games console/dvd player/blu ray player (which was my main reason for buying it). Very happy :smashin:

Is there any benefit in having music stored directly on the PS3, as opposed to having it on an external HDD?

I've got an 80GB PS3 and 30-odd GB of music, so can happily sacrifice the space. But if there are no real benefits, it can stay as it is?

I keep my PS3 hdd as free as i can so all my music is on my PC & i wirelessly stream to the PS3 & through the surround, works & sounds a treat......

I'm not a big gamer, but do play occasionally and from what I've seen so far, there is nothing between the two. GTA 4 is GTA 4, whatever console you own ;)

Been setting it up and playing with the PS3 a bit this afternoon, going well so far.

Quick question though, what's the best audio output option with HDMI and an Onkyo 605? Bitstream?

except mgs4 is only mgs4 on the ps3... ;)

re sound settings, if the amp can take linear pcm over hdmi, set it to output that on the ps3... That way it'll decode the hd audio formats and send them to your amp.
If you prefer your amp to do the decoding then set it to bitstream, bear in mind though this will not give you the hd audio formats as ps3 cannot send hd audio as bitstream over hdmi.

Cheers :)

Does that mean if I set it to PCM the PS3 will do the decoding and I'll be able to get the Full HD sound? To me, that seems as though the PS3 will convert the HD Sound into something close to, but not quite HD.

I still like my Apple TV, I have new movie synced over to it all the time. Watched Hancock this evening, Indiana Jones last night and Iron Man 720p rip the previous weekend.

The PS3's video files playback is mostly used for my collection of Divx 4:3 TV Shows. Pressing triangle gets rid of the black bars just like how they would be broadcast on TV without having to mess about with the resolution.

I wish there was a portable device that worked on both PS3 and Mac. I have both but my music is i-tunes and the PS3 doesn't like it. Movies, i'd like to download from the PS3 when the service is available but won't work on a mac or Ipod touch (which i'm thinking about buying)

Cheers :)

Does that mean if I set it to PCM the PS3 will do the decoding and I'll be able to get the Full HD sound? To me, that seems as though the PS3 will convert the HD Sound into something close to, but not quite HD.

to the first part; yep that's right.... To the second part; well basically afaik that's the only way to get hd audio from the ps3, it is still "proper" hd audio, it's just that the ps3 is doing the decoding, rather than the receiver.

In any case, if you have a receiver that can decode the hd audio formats, you still can't send it bitstream for it to decode, as ps3 cannot send hd audio as bitstream over hdmi, and optical doesn't have the bandwidth.

That's my understanding of it anyway! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's cool, thanks for the explanation :)

I've just been playing Wipeout HD :eek::thumbsup: Now theres a game to show off what the PS3 can do!

No problem, happy to help! :smashin:

yeah wipeout hd is awesome eh! Can't wait for my htsf1200 to get here so i can experience the full 5.1ch loveliness of it!:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom