• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

PS3 Red Blinking light

jim_bob64

Standard Member
Hi,

Not sure if its the same as the 'YLOD' but out of the blue I was watching a film this morning when me PS3 just turned off. I pulled the plug and let it sti for a bit then tried again and all I get is a green light then red then yellow then flashing red continously :(

I have searched the forums and google etc and there does seem to be temporary fixes but nothing permanant. I would do these fixes if they were permanent but seems pointless if its just gonna die again in a month.

Has anyone here had this problem or know of this problem that was fixed permanently by themselves without having to send it away to be fixed for £100+?

If im gonna spend that sort of money I may as well get a new slim (mine is a 4 yr old 40gb) one for not much more but I'd like to try and fix it myself quite cheaply.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I'm afraid that is the YLOD, it's a bit of a daft name as the yellow only flashes briefly.

A better name might have been the traffic light sequence of doom.

Sent from phone

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
And yes, all fixes are temporary so best thing is to buy a new slim (£195 in sainsburys at moment) and stick broken one on eBay, they tend to sell for £40+.

Sent from phone

madmike191

Standard Member
don't buy electronics from e-bay, when i did, one time i bought a ps3 from it, it didn't even turn on, and another time i bought an xbox elite, that broke too. Do you think i'm right in saying that e-bay is not the best for electronics, or is it just my luck??

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
don't buy electronics from e-bay, when i did, one time i bought a ps3 from it, it didn't even turn on, and another time i bought an xbox elite, that broke too. Do you think i'm right in saying that e-bay is not the best for electronics, or is it just my luck??

More likely either dubious sellers, items not exactly as described, acts of god!, and yeah, probably your luck.

sometimes it just does happen though, the postal service doesn't ship items on fluffly clouds, so damage may happen in transit.

But consoles of late, I would never buy pre-owned either instore, or online from somewhere like ebay.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom