Quantcast

PS3 randomly shutting down.. Happened with 2 different PS3's!

murtz

I've got a very weird problem with my PS3s.

I bought a PS3 slim from Ebay in January, but it didnt come with a power cord... so I just used the figure 8 cord that belonged to my DVD player, and it was all working fine.

Thats until a few weeks ago. The system started to randomly shutting down without an error message, heating up quite a bit.. with no red light showing. It sometimes lasted 3 hours and sometimes only managed to stay on for 30 mins. All I did to fix it was take the power cable out and put it back in again and voila, red light back on, ps3 was able to start.

In the end I got fed up, and managed to get a refurbed model from Sony under warranty.. however the same thing is happening with this one too!

The only thing I can now think of is the power cable being too low in power to support the PS3. It had a 5A fuse and I tried putting a 13A fuse, but the same is still happening. I even tried changing the plug socket!

Long story short... HELP!

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
It's just a bog standard figure 8 lead, with a 5 amp fuse, for the PS3 power lead.

The only thing is it may be a faulty lead, so changing it may work.
Saying that, you may have to look further, like at your mains power supply, and/or maybe the tv is causing issues, with a bad hdmi socket, etc.

murtz

Hmm.. I didnt think that far ahead.

Doubt its the power supply as other things are being connected to it and working fine (Sky box and TV). I also gave the PS3 its own socket and its not solving anything.

Im confused as to how the TV would have any affect on the PS3 power?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Could be a faulty Hdmi socket, at a push..or maybe you got a turkey from Sony..
It sounds like they are overheating possibly..maybe it's the location, try moving them or standing it up vertically..

murtz

The HDMI socket also has the Sky HD box going into it. I've got a HDMI switcher that takes care of the PS3 and TV HD leads.

The location is as good as I can get it. Nothing is blocking it from either side and the air vents are facing outwards!

Sony said they'll send me an original power cable, if that doesnt work I'll have to get another one through warranty.

murtz

Right.. I've tried a number of things today, none of which solved the problem.

Use my SKY HD power lead on the PS3, used the SKY HDMI cable, and even used a different plug socket, but its still happening.

My hunch on it being the lead problem doesnt look like its true.. I guess its getting more and more obvious that I've been given a different refurbed model that has exactly the same problem!

Im really confused though, surely I should see at least an error or a light on shutdown!?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Just for laughs, have you tried it on a different tv(if its not HD, use the standard leads), or without the hdmi switch. ?

There's no hard and fast guarantee you will get a light or error set, when it overheats, like yours, it may just conk out.
Are you sure the fan's running, also ?.
Possibly it's overheating due to either the general console overheating, fan issue, or a faulty PSU then.

murtz

It may be one of those problems with the ps3.. but I've only had it for a week from Sony!. The guy from Sony got all touchy when I said they probably sent me a faulty ps3.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
It may be one of those problems with the ps3.. but I've only had it for a week from Sony!. The guy from Sony got all touchy when I said they probably sent me a faulty ps3.
lol...Just ignore him, all they do is man the phones, you either have to speak to a supervisor, or if you are really lucky, someone with technical knowledge.
Accidents/mistakes do happen, and if you want to pursue it, just phone them back up again, and press them to replace it.

murtz

Oh I'm already getting it replaced on Tuesday.. just trying to cover all corners because its too much of a coincidence still. If the next one behaves the same.. then I've got a big problem!